Chord Hugo
Apr 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #2,206 of 15,694
I notice that Head-Fi vets like CosmicHolyGhost uses the Audioquest micro-USB adapter.  I have a few great USB cables (TotalDAC D1, JCAT reference cable, PPA black) that I have discovered over all my reviewing/demoing, and I'd hate to have to either ask one of them (all overseas) to customize a damn micro-end or buy a new unproven (for me) cable and therefore add another variable to my review process.  Are folks having success with micro USB adapters, and if so..any I should lock on to or stay away from?

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #2,207 of 15,694
I have tried with Itouch (latest model)  & Note3 (APtX) and there is a lot static noise on the right side. But the strangest thing is, when I place the note 3 on top of the Hugo back, the sound quality is perfect, no more noise. Same for Itouch. So I am not really sure if this is an  aptx problem but more on the distance base on this experiment. The moment I lift up the note 3 and place right next to Hugo, the noise came back. Hah.. 

I want to point out that the the sound is really good (Device place right on top of Hugo's back).. almost as good as USB connection. If they can fix/update firmware or whatever, I can stream from my note 3 at the front pocket and Hugo in my back pocket, that will be superb. No more man's purse.

I confirm these findings with the LG G2 and iTouch 7G.  

Like Audiowood stated, when the devices are placed directly flat on top of the Hugo's back, the static and ticks go away.  Lift it up a centimeter, and it's back.  The Hugo just needed a hug.

Using larger tabs like the ipad3 and Asus Memo, the Hugo hug doesn't remedy the static situation.

So that's that.  While I'm obviously not going to rely on bluetooth, hopefully Rob Watts and his team continue to monitor how Hugo plays with the vast array of source devices and is able to update the unit's firmware for greater interoperability.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,209 of 15,694
 I remember the tank rolling over one of chord product so the skin must be very thick. But a Hug warms up even the thickest skin :O

Lets hope Rob and his team can look into this, even though we seldom use it, I am sure alot of us here will use it if it works. Like streaming across the dining to entertain guest and streaming front to back pocket etc.. we will find ways to use it if it works. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,211 of 15,694
  Yeah, I went for the 1300 strand version as that seemed sensible.  I already have the Audioquest Vodka (which is also multi-strand) and that worked well between my Oppo and my NAD M51, but it doesn't fit the Hugo and would need an adaptor for my Macbook anyway, so I got a new cable instead.

They've given me permission to post the picture:

Thanks for posting the picture

What surprise me: I understood that it is the 2.2 mm dia.  version that is recommended for 24/192, and it looks like on this picture they show the 5mm dia. version ?  

--> Which version did you ordered ?  do you know why they propose 2 dia. versions ? 

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #2,212 of 15,694
I guess my case is the latest. The original is 10mm and mine is 11.5.. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #2,213 of 15,694

Chord have had a interesting email from a very well known UK hi-fi magazine who have just started their technical measurements on Hugo. The message said: "You have just broken all records with Hugo... Hugo manages the highest Dynamic Range ever - by a big margin".

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronicshugo?fref=nf

Over the next few days I will be posting photo's & updates from Axpona Hi-Fi Show... featuring the Hugo & Noble range (& my superb Sony ZX1 as a source).

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #2,215 of 15,694

Thanks for posting the picture

What surprise me: I understood that it is the 2.2 mm dia.  version that is recommended for 24/192, and it looks like on this picture they show the 5mm dia. version ?  

--> Which version did you ordered ?  do you know why they propose 2 dia. versions ? 

The 5mm version was recommended by them as the optical input in Hugo is quite recessed (about 5 mm deep) and they were worried that the 2.2 mm version may break when pulled out from the socket multiple times.

Surprised that the photo I sent them ends up here too.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #2,219 of 15,694
  The 5mm version was recommended by them as the optical input in Hugo is quite recessed (about 5 mm deep) and they were worried that the 2.2 mm version may break when pulled out from the socket multiple times.

Surprised that the photo I sent them ends up here too.

I can't see any difference on their webpage about the core size, so I'd assume the jacket thickness is more about bend radius and size vs strength than anything else.  The proof is in the pudding though, or is it the eating?  Either way, I'll find out what it sounds like when it gets here.  I got the 5mm too looking at the invoice, although I didn't discuss the jacket size with them.

If you want me to remove the picture then please say so, I just posted it in response to another forum member asking to see it.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2,220 of 15,694
Finaly I placed yesterday my order for a TUR-06 (portable TUBE amp) to complément the TU-05 that I already have.

It will become my PORTABLE tube amp, permanently attached to my HUGO, and his bigger brother will now stay at home as my Desktop amp.

My TUR-06 is planed to be delivered in... September ;-( ...cause it is Hand built

Users who are viewing this thread

Back