Chord Hugo
Mar 21, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #1,216 of 15,694
For one of the upset customer of the early Hugo adopter I've tried every effort to connect the RCA output to my head amp. Though I could barely connect my inventory RCA cable to the tiny RCA hole, it's easily lose connect even with a slightly volume adjustment.

Since there's no information at all regarding the new housing exchangeability from the local dealer, it looks like there's no way that I can use the RCA output. Fortunately enough the 6.3mm headphone output and the RCA are connected altogether according to Chord. I used a multimeter to make the measurement and confirm that Chord is right. Which leave me an option to find a 6.3 to RCA female cable. Since there's no such cable off the shelf I turn to a local HiFi component distributer/dealer to make me one. Though it's an extra cost however it save me another pair of expensive RCA cable. Attached is the picture of the adapter cable. The cable is made of several Mundorf's silver/gold wires. 

For SQ-wise, I can't tell if there's any difference when connect to RCA out directly or through the adapter cable.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,217 of 15,694
Had been listening to the Hugo for a week and made some A/B against my reference... Since I was so eagerly awaiting every post on the subject I decided I should share my findings, take it with a grain of salt as usual. Might sound like random thoughts, please excuse if boring. All efforts have been concentrated to evaluate Hugo as a DAC, I do have an AKG702 but that will be later tested against the T1.

My reference for a long time has been a Muse Electronics Thalia player which in its day was worth 5500$ and was regarded as a true reference player, I haven't been able to find anything to match it in my systems and I have tried hard, money was not spared. So I was hoping that the Hugo will sound better... It does not but comes so close that I can easily live with it for the rest of my life. The Thalia extracts a bit more of minute detail that makes music alive(imagine that on the already absurd detail of the Hugo) and what makes me really happy is that the tonal balance is absolutely the same, you have to strain really hard to hear the difference between the two when you switch the source. A friend of mine, who is quite technically proficient and is in audio design and manufacturing says that it is a true miracle what Chord have done with just two batteries of 3.75V, these guys are true magicians that know what good sound is and obviously magnificent engineers. Not many people know the Thalia or the Muse Electronics house sound so I will mention that Hugo just murdered a Naim CD5X quite easily and that is one fine player too.

Some other observations that we I am almost sure are 100% true :
1. SPDIF is better than USB at the moment, some of the changes I made on the Audirvana plus settings might correct that and trust me I will do my best here as computer audio is what I bought Hugo for.
2. In my system Hugo sounds better with the PSU connected to DAC, wish it wasn't so.
3. Hugo is TREMENDOUS value - sounds too close to a reference grade CD player and also has USB input, headphone amp, looks beautiful and is portable, gets rid of my preamp, 1400 pounds for all that is a bargain.
4. I hate the RCAs, the only interconnect that fits is the Audience 24(quite a bargain itself) and I cannot use my favorite Antipodes. If the new box can accommodate them I will sell this one and get one of the new, even if I have to wait for a year.

I hope Hugo will mature with playing(though not likely with SMDs), I will be very closely monitoring Chord product line and if a new QBD comes out Hugo will have a bigger brother :)

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,220 of 15,694
Very interesting results. I am surprised regarding the charger - is the benefit a little or a lot? If there is a slight difference using the charger, I wonder will using different charger also make a difference..... Definitely looking forward to your review using Hiface & XMOS interface!

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,221 of 15,694
Well, someone also recently reported the same thing about it sounding better plugged in:
  Quote:
Originally Posted by secretriches /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I played the Hugo only with battery, it sounded great. When I then (while still playing) plugged the Pardo supply into the Hugo, the sound was similar and not a huge difference. However, there was just a small bit of improvement that took the sound quality right over the top. I kept doing this for awhile (plugging and unplugging) and could hear that difference. I need to revisit this and check it out more closely to be sure and also need to do this on a well burned in Hugo.

The answer you might be looking for is that the Hugo does not need an external high quality linear power supply to make it sound better as is the case for the QuteHD and QuteEX. The internal battery supply for the Hugo is really good and provides greater detail, full body, and a more musical presentation. But . . . that little bit of improvement that I heard was the key to hitting the MSB Analog DAC sound quality and I’m still taken back at how good this sounded. Yes, you do need a really well tuned audio system to hear these things but, there is something there........

Maybe this poster was on to something though:

Quote:
Can't guess about the Hugo, but my experience is with battery gear, even if there is a cable connected (not charging), it will still make a difference to the sound.. this is likely due to grounding.

If it's just 'grounding' at work here, then the stock charger should be just as effective as an expensive linear p/s.  Indeed, the latter would be unnecessary overkill. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,222 of 15,694
What program seems to work good on a Mac to play DSD via the USB? 

There are so many variables in a well made USB that I would call high end. Has there been any USB that has floated to the top in this regard? 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,224 of 15,694
I looked at both but only Audirvana today. I have read of true sound differences, should have taken notes. So at least we can use your laptops to output the dsd. 

Amarra doesn't do DSD. For the Hugo, even though there is limited dsd, and a number of DSD albums are just sampled to DSD, Audirvana is the only one to do DSD. Then there is jRiver and a few more. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,225 of 15,694
I finally heard the Hugo at the So Cal meet. Wow. Immediately obvious what all of the fuss was about. Dealer Audio High was demoing with a Meridian Sooloos system. So the CD rips were upscaled into the Hugo using Meridian's Apodizing filters. Both HD800's and UE Reference Monitors sounded amazing. I didn't buy it on the spot but I might pick one up next week. Awesome!

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,226 of 15,694
I finally heard the Hugo at the So Cal meet. Wow. Immediately obvious what all of the fuss was about. Dealer Audio High was demoing with a Meridian Sooloos system. So the CD rips were upscaled into the Hugo using Meridian's Apodizing filters. Both HD800's and UE Reference Monitors sounded amazing. I didn't buy it on the spot but I might pick one up next week. Awesome!

Talking about audio high, I went into their shop and have some real fun with Hugo, tried it with all their audeze range and more. 1 hr later of intense testing with some of my gear, I arose from the leather seat and ordered it without hesitation, that was 4 weeks ago and they mention that the new batch is coming next week.. Wowee.

Thanks to rudi for making me $2500 poorer..:D

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #1,228 of 15,694
I looked at both but only Audirvana today. I have read of true sound differences, should have taken notes. So at least we can use your laptops to output the dsd. 

Amarra doesn't do DSD. For the Hugo, even though there is limited dsd, and a number of DSD albums are just sampled to DSD, Audirvana is the only one to do DSD. Then there is jRiver and a few more. 

Thank you for your info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back