Chord Hugo
Feb 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #691 of 15,694
I use it and iphone 5s as sources (as well as MBP). The ZX1 must be powered down and back on to handshake with the ZX1, my only complaint.

I guess that on your iPhone you only have 16 bits files, No 24/96 or 24/192 ?  right ? 

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #692 of 15,694
  I guess that on your iPhone you only have 16 bits files, No 24/96 or 24/192 ?  right ? 

Working on putting hi res files with the Onkyo HF player on the iphone. But limited time makes it easier just to use the ZX1 for hi-res. :wink:. Drag and drop is much less hassle than using iTunes. The Hugo is so good, there is more variance with recording quality than there is with hi-res vs redbook of the same recording.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #693 of 15,694

Were you running the Hugo out of its internal battery or using your TeddyPSU?

Yes, I had the TeddyPardo 12vDC power supply plugged into the Hugo when I tested it. Here’s a question that I still need to get accurately answered. My distributor shared that when the walwart or other power supply (in my case the Pardo) is plugged in, the battery provides the DC for the DAC. However, when the battery becomes fully charged, then it is bypassed and the external power supply becomes the power source.

I don’t know if the Hugo was fully charged when I was using it. When I played the Hugo only with battery, it sounded great. When I then (while still playing) plugged the Pardo supply into the Hugo, the sound was similar and not a huge difference. However, there was just a small bit of improvement that took the sound quality right over the top. I kept doing this for awhile (plugging and unplugging) and could hear that difference. I need to revisit this and check it out more closely to be sure and also need to do this on a well burned in Hugo.

As I mentioned earlier, someone at Chord emailed me that Hugo always runs on battery power to keep is isolated from the mains. The batteries have a managed charging circuit so they can be left plugged in and charging permanently.  Whilst on constant charge in a fixed system you are only trickle charging the battery to keep it topped up, so the battery is not being cycled.

Seems unlikely that he would give out inaccurate information, but you never know..

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #695 of 15,694

A couple of iPad pics of my setup. Just got an iPod Touch running 8Player. The Seagate holds all my music with loads of room to spare. I've converted all my FLACs to ALAC, as 8player handles these perfectly, up to 24/192. Very, very happy with the sound. The Seagate and a 16gb Touch is a relatively inexpensive way to have a very high capacity DAP, albeit in two boxes. Since these pics I've changed the Chord-supplied bands with a couple of my wife's hair bands; they hold the Touch more firmly in place. I've also ordered a small USB to micro USB adapter to try with the Apple CCK. If it fits, it should make the connection a little neater. I attached small rubber feet to the Hugo too (like those used for stopping kitchen cupboard doors from banging) as this stops it sliding around and offers some protection from knocks.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #696 of 15,694
Currently burning in my new Hugo. I'd love to hear a recap on more elegant solutions for cables. The adapters may be ultimately the only path but hope springs eternal. I saw some passing references to Audioquest tables that terminate in micro usb but do not see a way to order them. Here are some use cases it would be nice to solve:

1. Macbook USB to Hugo micro USB...preferably without adapters though I wondered if the Audioquest USB to micro usb adapter has been tested. 
2. iPad Lighting to Hugo micro usb...preferably without CCK. Like I said, hope springs eternal. 

Aside: Currently listening to Hugo with HD800. Both are still burning in and enjoying the combo...BUT think there might be a case for the LCD-X or XC and the TH900 with Hugo. I've always preferred true synergy over the never ending best of the best that SHOULD sound great.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #697 of 15,694
First impression Chord Hugo

Source : AK 120 With optical cable
iPad Air With Bluetooth
Dac/Amp : Chord Hugo
Headphone : LCD 2 rev 2

Sound Quality :
iPad Air via Bluetooth
The best Bluetooth dac amp i Ever heard

AK 120 With optical cable :
Wow it is incredible sound quality

I believe With Coaxial should Be excellent

IMO

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #698 of 15,694
Nice one Rudi bet your buzzing,I can't wait to get mine, I'll take a photo of me holding the Hugo while standing on one leg just so ppl don't think I'm blagging about owning one!

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #700 of 15,694
Hi all, long time lurker but first time poster. 

I just spoke with my local dealer (UK) re the Hugo. Apparently the price increase is due to the addition of another input. To quote him "essentially Chord are onto the Hugo mk3".

However, he didn't reveal anything about the nature of this new input, other than to say all orders from now will be for this mk3 version. 

Anyone know anything else about this?? If confirmed, it might make the price increase a little easier to swallow.

N08.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #702 of 15,694
And said dealer wouldn't take an order at the old price - claiming its the now the improved mk3 version that I would be ordering. 

Which is interesting given the increase is supposed to take effect on Monday...

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #703 of 15,694

I just spoke with my local dealer (UK) re the Hugo. Apparently the price increase is due to the addition of another input. To quote him "essentially Chord are onto the Hugo mk3".

However, he didn't reveal anything about the nature of this new input, other than to say all orders from now will be for this mk3 version. 

Anyone know anything else about this?? If confirmed, it might make the price increase a little easier to swallow.

N08.

Was there ever a Hugo mk2??

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #705 of 15,694
If your dealer is correct then this would really be a huge slap in the face for early adopters, unless of course Chord offers an upgrade service whereby early models can be swapped for the revised version for the price difference i.e. £200. 

Quote:

N08.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back