Chord Hugo
Nov 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #8,926 of 15,694
Got my black Hugo from Moon Audio earlier this week before the holiday and have spent 30 hours or so with it. I simply cannot put it down. I am blown away on what I'm getting from it; detail that I didn't know existed, even after using desktop rigs with I2S. While I've never had the pleasure of hearing a $10k+ DAC, my Audio-GD Master-7, HDMI I2S rig with fully-loaded Empirical OR5 doesn't expose the detail, depth, and life that the Hugo does, and at less than half the price.

Chord has something special and I hope they continue their research, because I think they have exhibited exceptional capability with the Hugo.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #8,927 of 15,694

Since this has only happened to me a few times, my recollection is with the power cable connected. Perhaps Rob from Chord can chime in on why this clicking sounds occurs ...

I have never experienced ticking noises, nor heard of such an instance. I will ask Chord to see if they have heard of something similar. Only thing I can think off is the Mac creating ground currents.... 

Rob

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #8,928 of 15,694
Nothing to do with Hugo, I don't have one... But weird I heard clicks while listening to my AK240 the other day... Never heard that before. Jwbrent heard them too with his 240 as well if I read that correctly. Maybe not a Hugo issue?

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #8,929 of 15,694
Nothing to do with Hugo, I don't have one... But weird I heard clicks while listening to my AK240 the other day... Never heard that before. Jwbrent heard them too with his 240 as well if I read that correctly. Maybe not a Hugo issue?

now that is quite possible ... I just assumed it was the Hugo since I never heard this noise before I purchased it a few weeks ago. My 240 is strapped to the back of my Hugo the majority of the time.

the click noise I hear is 4-5 clicks in rapid succession. It's only happened 2-3 times since I got my Hugo. I wonder if it has something to do with the toslink connection since before the Hugo, I had never used this connection.

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #8,930 of 15,694
My first Hugo would zap itself out after some time of listening... then it would come back. the light would flicker and the sound would disappear followed by popping noises then come back. It was pretty random.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #8,931 of 15,694
now that is quite possible ... I just assumed it was the Hugo since I never heard this noise before I purchased it a few weeks ago. My 240 is strapped to the back of my Hugo the majority of the time.

the click noise I hear is 4-5 clicks in rapid succession. It's only happened 2-3 times since I got my Hugo. I wonder if it has something to do with the toslink connection since before the Hugo, I had never used this connection.

Sounds exactly like mine did the other night. Weird.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #8,932 of 15,694
Hi guys. Have any of you experience problem with hugo's coax connection? I connect my hugo to clasdb using rca cable (+the plug extention supplied in the package). What happened was sometimes the connection worked and sometimes did not until i pull out the rca and snug back into place adjusting it slowly then is working again..any idea why this is happening? Do you think my hugo's coax rca got problem?

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #8,933 of 15,694
Hi guys. Have any of you experience problem with hugo's coax connection? I connect my hugo to clasdb using rca cable (+the plug extention supplied in the package). What happened was sometimes the connection worked and sometimes did not until i pull out the rca and snug back into place adjusting it slowly then is working again..any idea why this is happening? Do you think my hugo's coax rca got problem?

Thanks.

No problems here with using the coax input, however, my Kimber digital cable fits without the need of the adapter. The adapter could actually be the culprit ... do you have another RCA cable—even if it's not specified as a digital cable—that you could try out without the adapter? If the problem goes away, then you know you need a new digital cable.

It's always best to not use an adapter because you add an additional connection to the signal chain.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #8,934 of 15,694
  I have never experienced ticking noises, nor heard of such an instance. I will ask Chord to see if they have heard of something similar. Only thing I can think off is the Mac creating ground currents.... 

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply. It appears the issue may not be with the Hugo, instead, the 240 may be making the 4-5 clicks in rapid succession. warrior1975 reported hearing this from his 240.

While I have you, is the battery in the Hugo user replaceable? I have a new black Hugo, so I just want to know for the future ...

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #8,935 of 15,694
  My first Hugo would zap itself out after some time of listening... then it would come back. the light would flicker and the sound would disappear followed by popping noises then come back. It was pretty random.

wow, Viscerious, you sure have a nice collection of custom IEMs!

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #8,937 of 15,694
Hi Music4life, 

I recently got a Hugo and I'm having a similar issue with the coax input connecting to an Audiophiilleo convertor. The slightest jiggle interrupts the stream and drops connection. I tried the Chord adapter but I still get the same issue. I contacted Drew at Moon Audio, because at this point it looks like the coax jack is loose. Hope you get your issue resolved. 

Has anyone else had a problem with the coax?

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #8,938 of 15,694
  Hi Music4life, 

I recently got a Hugo and I'm having a similar issue with the coax input connecting to an Audiophiilleo convertor. The slightest jiggle interrupts the stream and drops connection. I tried the Chord adapter but I still get the same issue. I contacted Drew at Moon Audio, because at this point it looks like the coax jack is loose. Hope you get your issue resolved. 

What is needed is a Coax Digital Cable with an RCA that has a longer than normal Center pin. We use the Kimber 75ohm RCA. It is the only connector that provides the best connection. See here: http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/black-dragon-75-ohm-mini-coax-digital-cable-for-the-hifiman-player.html#

Look at 2nd picture. Notice the longer length of the center pin. I dont think it is the jack that is your issue but the cable you are using. However if our cable does not solve it then you have an issue I am sorry to say. But we have had lots of folks with this issue and the Kimber RCA solved it every time.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 1, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #8,939 of 15,694
Thanks for the information Drew. I tried Chord's own adapter so I didn't think that was the issue, but as I keep experimenting It think that may be it. I'll contact you about a resolution. Thanks, as having to send the Hugo back was a sad prospect!

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #8,940 of 15,694
Hi Music4life, 

Yes. No progress so far. Still on and off on the connection. I also use chord's own adapter. And i have 2 rca cable (wireworld and cardas). I do think the problem is with the rca coax inner housing. There must be somekind of lose part inside and dont grab the centre pin quite right. Thats what i tot. I spoke to my other friend..same issue here. So sad. Not sure why i have this kind of problem for the price i paid. I love hugo SQ so much thou...

I bot this from Jaben. They will send me the replacement IF the units they have are not having a similar problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back