Chord Hugo
Oct 27, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #8,671 of 15,694
Yes, but optical will only run at 192 kHz, and some transmitters only up to 96 kHz. But portable devices suffer far less from this problem - my testing has been with PC's. Mobile devices (they have very low power electronics so much lower noise)  don't seem to need it - see earlier in this thread.

Rob 

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #8,672 of 15,694
  Don't apologise for lack of knowledge - I would not be doing this if I wasn't discovering new things.

You have two things going on - the RF noise leaking into Hugo's ground plane, then creating havoc with the analog electronics. Random RF noise creates noise floor modulation (the noise pumps up and down with the audio signal) making it sound harder and bright - if it gets really bad, the treble will sound grainy and aggressive. The second problem is signal related audio frequency noise; this is at its worse at 0 when all the bits changeover from all 0's to all 1's (and 1's to all 0's) as the signal crosses through 0 and goes negative. This small current gets into the ground plane and corrupts the analogue signal, making the fundamental linearity worse - so a -120dB signal will now be say -119dB. These very small changes have the audible effect of confusing the brains ability to perceive depth of sound-stage. Depth of image is a hobby horse of mine, both from the listening POV and from the understanding POV (why is reproduced audio so bad at reproducing depth? what are the engineering factors?). Now I know that fundamental linearity is important to depth perception, but to what levels is it important, and are there other factors?

Anyhow, I digress. The Olimex will eliminate the LF noise currents. As to RF, it has a few pF of capacitive coupling, but optical will be perfect from this POV. But I think a few pF is good enough isolation. On my tests, I have a Olimex on the SD, and another USB card fed via optical. I can't hear a difference between them when the source is the same, so if you are hearing something, then I think perhaps something else is at play.

Rob

Hi Rob - it's good new about the Olimex helping with RF issues on the SD input, but alas this still seems to leave issues for those of us who want to play 24/96 and 24/192 material through the HD input. It's a real fankle unlplugging and plugging in USB leads!

Do you think this http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusbpower/ USB power supply is a good way to go? I know it's made by another manufacturer, but as far as I can tell reading through the sales-talk, it does claim to clean up the 5V supply considerably, breaks the ground connection between the DAC and the computer, and has a 3-stage 6th order RF filter. It will pass 24/192 and it does work with the HD input of the Hugo, which means that it could be an alternative to the Olimex that would work for all resolutions, and with the HD input.

Or would a USB to optical s/pdif converter be a better way to go? 

'Scuse the questions, it's just that the Hugo is so wonderfully good that I want the best way of listening to my hi-res studio masters I can get, and I'd really prefer not to have to fiddle with cables.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #8,674 of 15,694

Hi Rob - it's good new about the Olimex helping with RF issues on the SD input, but alas this still seems to leave issues for those of us who want to play 24/96 and 24/192 material through the HD input. It's a real fankle unlplugging and plugging in USB leads!

Do you think this http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusbpower/ USB power supply is a good way to go? I know it's made by another manufacturer, but as far as I can tell reading through the sales-talk, it does claim to clean up the 5V supply considerably, breaks the ground connection between the DAC and the computer, and has a 3-stage 6th order RF filter. It will pass 24/192 and it does work with the HD input of the Hugo, which means that it could be an alternative to the Olimex that would work for all resolutions, and with the HD input.

Or would a USB to optical s/pdif converter be a better way to go? 

'Scuse the questions, it's just that the Hugo is so wonderfully good that I want the best way of listening to my hi-res studio masters I can get, and I'd really prefer not to have to fiddle with cables.

Don't worry about the 5v on the USB, it is only used to detect that a USB is connected, and then powers up the HD USB chip. It has no influence on SQ, as the RF on the 5v is decoupled. Some people have reported that USB to optical works well with Hugo, and they should work OK. But if you are using a mobile device for the source, don't worry, as the noise levels due to the low power electronics is already very low.

Rob

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #8,675 of 15,694
listened and compared coaxial connected to CDP and USB hd input via windows tab and chord asio driver. sound via hd USB is cleaner and has wider soundstage and more separation. it is also quieter with hd USB. difference is subtle but discernable. I thought there should not therefore be any issue with USB input regarding rf noise. IMHO resolution of Hugo exceeds the ADC and digital processing done during recording and mastering stages as it brings out the distortion and anomalies introduced to vocals during processing with out being analytical or adding its own distortion. great achievement indeed. I believe after ADC has done discrete sampling, the job of creating the analog wave form closer to original is far more difficult. even the DAC of same manufacturer as ADC may not guarantee the faithful conversion closer to original as both processes are totally different. kudos to mr watts and chord for designing such a revolutionary product at such price point.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #8,676 of 15,694
Question for Rob - Successor to the Qute HD ...

Hi Rob,

I can't resist asking you this.

I have a Qute HD and would love to replace it with a Hugo, but I don't need the portability, just an always on, static, DAC.

Can you say if there is a replacement in sight for the Qute HD having the Hugo's specs?

Thanks for any hints you may feel able to give ....

Cheers.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #8,678 of 15,694
How much time it takes to full charge Hugo with stock batteries and with panasonic NCR18650B with additional protection?
Now I have to charge my stock Hugo for 10+ hours :frowning2:  My e-cig's 18650 batteries (sony 18650vtc5 2600 mAh)  is charging for 1-2 hours.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #8,680 of 15,694
fwiw, I'm getting really nice results with the Hugo and my Grado GS1000e phones, both with my external amp (a Rudistor) or direct. It's a full, rich midrange and nice plump vocals, no EQ needed.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #8,681 of 15,694
I had a chance to listen to a Hugo recently, and I'm intrigued. Considering replacing my Benchmark DAC1 HDR with it as a desktop DAC/amp and reclaiming some space. I'm concerned about all those bright lights, however: if I'm watching a movie in a dark room, how bright are they? Is there a way to dim or turn them off? If it's plugged in, off, and finished charging, does the battery level light turn off?

Second set of questions (and I apologize if it has been addressed before, this thread is quite long!): does anyone keep it plugged in most of the time? Does that destroy the battery in your experience (as it does with some laptops)?

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #8,682 of 15,694
  I had a chance to listen to a Hugo recently, and I'm intrigued. Considering replacing my Benchmark DAC1 HDR with it as a desktop DAC/amp and reclaiming some space. I'm concerned about all those bright lights, however: if I'm watching a movie in a dark room, how bright are they? Is there a way to dim or turn them off? If it's plugged in, off, and finished charging, does the battery level light turn off?

Second set of questions (and I apologize if it has been addressed before, this thread is quite long!): does anyone keep it plugged in most of the time? Does that destroy the battery in your experience (as it does with some laptops)?

No way to turn off the lights, yes the charging light does go off when fully charged. No harm in keeping Hugo plugged in 24/7 in fact that's how I have used mine. Some people report slightly better dynamics by doing so, probably at it gets to the end of the available charge.

Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #8,684 of 15,694
No way to turn off the lights, yes the charging light does go off when fully charged. No harm in keeping Hugo plugged in 24/7 in fact that's how I have used mine. Some people report slightly better dynamics by doing so, probably at it gets to the end of the available charge.

Thanks! How bright are the LEDs? Do they light up a dark room, or are they subdued?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back