Chord Hugo
Aug 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #7,501 of 15,694
HD Tracks has launched in the UK for anyone interested Their prices seem pretty high 2 me.

I agree their prices are high and they seem to have utilised the $17 equals £17 greed, so after my first poor recording on HDTracks US and the poor customer support from their US site, I will be sticking with Qobuz.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #7,502 of 15,694
They are a rip off anyway. The music in hi Rez is anything but what I have paid for.
Many titles are ripped from cd or 24/96 and sold as DSD.
Acoustic sounds or opus3 or blue note and few others are much better
Anyway
Al

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #7,504 of 15,694
  Al - what are you talking about when you reference "caps"?  I've been meaning to ask - sorry if I'm being dense here!

I know a few people who wanted to ask that question but didn't want to appear stupid... I wasn't one by the way as originally I thought Al was on about amplifier-caps, then I didn't have a clue so got into berets...
wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #7,508 of 15,694
Computer audiophile pocket server

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server_c5.htm

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #7,509 of 15,694
me too!

Al what is the Caps you are referring to?

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #7,510 of 15,694
  I just done my simple setup for my belove HD800~ :D

I have to say, when Hugo driving HD800 with the stock cable, the sound tend to be a bit THIN sounding signiture. But after I change it to the Cardas Clear, the sound out of Hugo just right for me. Seems that the cardas clear can provide thicker and warmer sounding and I think this complement the Hugo very well. If you got the chance, give it a try and prove I am right. :p

Sorry for the photo quality as they were taken by my iphone5... 

What Optical cable are you using out of the AK240?

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #7,511 of 15,694
Right! now I am beginning to form an idea that its a good idea and will get much better sound by bypassing the computer as a source completely. If so and still being able to keep things portable if need be would it be an idea to use an AK240 with Optical out into Hugo?

Would this result in better sound than using a MacBook with AP1 etc etc?

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #7,513 of 15,694
It's the optical cable from Ven Den Hul.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you getting a better result using the AK240 as your source into Hugo rather than your computer?

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #7,514 of 15,694
Holy cow , I guess I am jut the master of confusion. It's a computor that is used soly as a music server.

Min I5 CPU
Main board is one that can run on win server 2012 and use highend audio optimizer as optimizer software . I use j river , but foo bar and j play also work.

This is a simple version. From there you can use various USB cards , upgraded SSD drives , audio grade ram . Also full battery voltage supplies
. Even wot the simple version the improvement is very muspch worth the effort. Of anyone is interested I can post some links.
The website computoraudiophile has all,the info one would need. We al. Spend big bucks on USB cables and the like in pursuit of better audio.
Of you already own a PC tower or even a compact PC type computore for about 350 you can have one with dual boot and the software I mentioned.
The improvement will keep you up at tonight listening to your music all over again. Ted B is very fluent in this type of music server and does post on that forums .
Al

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #7,515 of 15,694
The two you post about are very difrent sounds for me. I use my iphone 5 and the camera adaptor and this works very well. A friend has the ak240 and uses optical. I had them as well . They both sound about the same , one could be better but not worth the 2400 for a ak240. . It also bohthers me that with the ak240 incould not play dsd. Now comparing that to my PC or laptop and the ap1/pp. It seemed to make it brighter in fact too Brite . But again my observation. Now with my caps servers the server is much better . One last point optical sounds much better than when I tried spidif coax with my hdpr10.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back