Chord Hugo
Jun 30, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5,882 of 15,694
  Just received the moon audio silver USB cable. It's lush, just like the positive feedback review states.

I always found the stock USB cable to be harsh, bright, and fatiguing.

Imagine why it would be like if you actually plugged it into the Hugo. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #5,883 of 15,694
The moon audio also have the very nice silver dragon toslink cable which I'm going to use with my AK120ii. A bit expensive tho.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #5,884 of 15,694
In contrast, I absolutely love the Chord Hugo and think it's the best portable DAC/Amp.

Good answer and I liked your earlier post, but as always people have to denigrate one piece of silicon in favor of another. For years, Burr-Brown and Cirrus were seen as poor substitutes for various Wolfson chips by many on Head-Fi - aided and abetted by certain MoTs with a vested interest in extending that sentiment. Xilinx didnt set out to build a 'killer DAC' and the Spartan-6 appears to be the entry point to their current lineup, but some very bright guys at Chord and PS Audio saw the potential for sonic excellence and ran with it - the proof is undeniably in Hugo's excellent pudding and I'd live to hear the ds one day. 

http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/

For those who dont accept that implementation - particularly the output stage and power supply - can have a marked effect on the ability of a given slice of silicon to deliver the goods, you need look no further than this listing:

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #5,885 of 15,694

PM me.  I wrote the guide on SACD ripping, but if you have not too many (and are US based) I can help you rip them.

Here's the guide, btw.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/SACD%20ripper%20primer%20v4.0.1.pdf

Ted's guide is excellent. I've converted over 100 SACD ISO's to DST and I'm a very happy camper. I can also help out if somebody needs a few disks ripped.

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #5,887 of 15,694
Wow,Stupendous job ted_b, on the SACD ripping.. I'm nominating you for a audio Pulitzer, for that one. :p

Cheers tedB is awesome. I'll vote for him.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #5,889 of 15,694

Ted's always around to help us mere mortals....
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,891 of 15,694
Thanks, Rob. I bought this one http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/allproductslisted/greenkey.php , the only one I can find in Hong Kong in store... I managed to get it working with ipod touch... I can hear better depth with this by using an isolator

will need to A/B a bit more using HD800 without an additional amp

Can you explain how you connected everything together with this isolator, iPod Touch and Hugo? I have the same setup, using the Apple CCK and Vertere USB cable. Does the isolator work without its own mains power? Does it work with the SD and/or HD USB Hugo inputs? As far as I can see from their website, it has input and output USB "A" connections; is that right?

Many thanks for your help!
Tony

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #5,892 of 15,694
Can you explain how you connected everything together with this isolator, iPod Touch and Hugo? I have the same setup, using the Apple CCK and Vertere USB cable. Does the isolator work without its own mains power? Does it work with the SD and/or HD USB Hugo inputs? As far as I can see from their website, it has input and output USB "A" connections; is that right?

Many thanks for your help!
Tony

This isolator only works with SD USB input thus limits to 16/44/48

it sits between the CCK and Vertere USB cable...

the isolator USB A male connects to the CCK

you can then connect Vertere USB A male to the other end of isolator (USB A female)

we are looking at another isolator that hopefully will work with the HD input but it needs its own (linear, LoL) power supply...

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #5,893 of 15,694

you can then connect Vertere USB A male to the other end of isolator (USB A female)

we are looking at another isolator that hopefully will work with the HD input but it needs its own (linear, LoL) power supply...

Thanks for your quick reply. As the vast majority of my listening is 16/44.1 material this might well be worth a punt, especially given yours and Rob Watts's impressions of their sonic benefits.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5,894 of 15,694

Schiit Wyrd?

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #5,895 of 15,694
Schiit Wyrd?

It's not an isolator, it's a power source and filter for 5V USB power.  Sometimes Schiit takes them selves too unseriously.  To call this an isolator is a mistake, and they even mention it in the self-deprecating description/specs:
What about galvanic isolation?
When you talk about galvanic isolation, you’re talking about USB 1.1. There is no galvanic isolation that works at full USB 2.0 speed (480Mbps). 

Wait, what?
Oh, you haven’t heard this? Funny how the buzzwords change. There was recently an AES paper about galvanic isolation at full USB 2.0 speed, but there are no commercially available solutions for it. Don’t worry, when and if it’s ever available, we’ll make sure we’re fully buzzword compliant.

This thing is a $99 filter and somewhat upgraded 5V source, an iFi Power without the dual outputs.  Not bad I'm sure....just not a galvanic isolator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back