Chord Hugo
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #437 of 15,692
It's as I feared concerning a transport only DAP. This is the main issue, IMO, with the Hugo. Basically designed to work with computers even though the Hugo, itself, is very portable. Given the current state of the market, no devices that easily can make use of the capabilities of the Hugo. The setup that takes full advantage of Hugo's capability is basically laptop on the go and nice headphones. For home/desktop use, the Hugo amp does quick cut it and the connections from the Hugo DAC aren't quite there (no balanced for example) to be full desktop DAC replacement (even though the DAC itself is very capable). Finally for true portable use (without computer), there are no DAPs where you aren't rebuying an AMP and/or a DAC.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #438 of 15,692
I am sure it can but the io7 will resample it . If it really can put up some links. That would be nice. But with a iPad you cannot do dsd or even 24/192.
Al

Read this: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/free-onkyo-hf-player-app-ios-plays-high-res-direct-stream-digital*-dsd-over-pcm-flac-wav-17917/

You can google it, there are other similar resources on the web.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #439 of 15,692
Thanks
Really cool product. But it does not do dsd. It converts to PCM .

How much is it ?
Al

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #440 of 15,692
Thanks
Really cool product. But it does not do dsd. It converts to PCM .

How much is it ?
Al

It's free but to play Hi-res and DSD you need to buy an in-app upgrade for $10..
You can choose to output PCM or DSD-over-PCM inside the app. Check out http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/10/onkyo-hf-player-resonessence-labs-herus-ios-dsd/

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #441 of 15,692
I am gonna wait until some audiophile DAP can do HD USB audio out for DSD, then I may consider using DSD on the go..

We are almost there, I think.....

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #442 of 15,692
what about playing CD files in 44.1K. How do you think the hugo stands to the Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum playing wav files. Does it do a pretty good job. How does the Hugo stand up against centrance M8 and Schitt audio Gungnir

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #444 of 15,692
Finally for true portable use (without computer), there are no DAPs where you aren't rebuying an AMP and/or a DAC.

All DAP/Phones have a DAC & Amp... Chord will be using a Laptop, iDevice & the Sony ZX1 as sources for the Bristol Show.

my small shoulder bag that I purchased for the Hugo arrived yesterday, it will suit my needs entirely... the Hugo/ZX1 will be highly portable now, when I'm home I'll connect it to the pc, simples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back