Chord Hugo
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #3,961 of 15,694

......IMO, it literally demands to be used with a pair of fullrange floorstanding loudspeakers. More times than I can count, over the past 24 hours, it has 'screamed' to me that it needs to be let-loose to produce a vivid non-head-based soundstage in the room, and with the kind of high-bandwidth dynamics that one can't (IMO) properly appreciate from a transducer situated directly adjacent to the ear.........

But if you're resolutely in the head-based hi-fi camp, then don't let me put you off the Hugo - quite to the contrary, actually! All I've said above is a testament to the abilities of the Hugo, not to any shortcomings.

A Bugatti Veyron is a fantastic car whether it's driven on a motorway or a racetrack. It's just that, given the opportunity, it will show more of it's power and handling ability on the racetrack... and it's reserves of power and handling ability will constantly remind you of this fact, even if you get a huge amount of pleasure out of just driving it on motorways. But if you only want to drive it on the motorway, that's just fine, and it's still better than most of the other cars on the road!

Great write-up.  I, on the other hand, have yet to hear my Hugo in portable mode (i.e with headphones)  It has 100% been my main rig DAC.  :)

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #3,962 of 15,694

Think I need to give my ears a break as well - too much listening lately.  Need to rest them so I can appreciate the Hugo when it arrives!

Yours ears will get their brake when your Hugo arrives!.............Hugo is a great vacation destination for ears.......the destination is so addictive ears usually don't want to leave.
gs1000.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #3,963 of 15,694
Greetings, fellow Hugo fans; I'm a temporary participant in the Hugo party (for a mere 7 days), and although it's not the first time I've heard it, it is the first time I've been able to sit and listen to it for an extended period, in silent surroundings.

I suppose it should come as no surprise that the excellent timing resolution of the Hugo yield subjective benefits with percussive details and acoustic reverberations, etc. The Hugo just makes them so immersive and convincing, it's a joy to listen to for hours on end.

Well I've been listening to it since it's release in the UK and believe me, you don't get tired of it! Definitely a keeper :)

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #3,965 of 15,694
great read there is only one part i disagree with the ciem,s adding anything over cans . as the top ciems are nice and i listen daily , a can like the hd800 is way above any ciem.
however walking around nyc with headphones not happening . when i auditioned the hugo yesterday i took a few ciem,s the jh13,16 and Roxanne's . and the hugo sounded really good and i bought it based on an improvement over my current dap the hdp r10 . well when i got home and tried with the hd800 . i could not believe how much better it sounded . maybe i am becoming snobby not sure but damn the hugo and hd800 pairs very well . as the ciems have there purpose and do give some kind of deatils better . overall its ciem,s headphones and speakers from bottom to top. anyway great read . i wish i could write coherently like you how much more respect i would get and people would understand me
without scratching there heads hahahahaha
al

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #3,966 of 15,694
Funny Al. I told you that the hd800 and the Hugo are spectacular and i mean spectacular. I am floored with the presentation. To me it sound SET in sound and has so much inner detail. The hd800 is my go to can when I do reviews on how something really sounds 

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #3,969 of 15,694
(I thought I'd post this here, since Hugo owners LOVE DSD and DSD128)

Gang,
I wanted to make you folks aware of a new free set of ultra hirez DSD downloads available. As a volunteer employee for NativeDSD.com I must preface this by saying my views are, of course, biased, but this post is not asking you to buy anything.

Our NativeDSD team of artists and producers are using cutting edge recording techniques to bring you the purest high resolution stereo and multichannel music. Well....what if I told you that they also have even more special "session tapes" and unedited performances that, up till now, are only heard by the production teams and those close to the industry. And often these direct recordings are laid down in even higher resolutions and sample rates than when sold, usually due to the fact that no significant commercial playback was available (i.e DSD128 even 12 months ago, and now DSD256 and multichannel dsd128 and above). These include stereo, multichannel and even some binuaral recordings (track 8 sample rates of DSD64, DSD128 and DXD).

We've created a members-only label called JustListen (free to register, free to download), and it is dedicated to presenting unedited ultra high resolution session recordings (just as we receive them, often in raw formats like DFF). Also included are other sample rates, converted professionally (Sonoma, Pyramix, etc) to allow more of you who only have DSD64 or high rez PCM (DXD) dacs to experience these recordings as close to the mic as possible......even compare sample rates! You might find your DAC loving one more than the other. Debate them, compare them with your friends' findings.

Oh...did I mention they are FREE!!! Enjoy! Just listen.....

https://www.nativedsd.com/ (and hit the button under "Introducing Just Listen")

modify_inline.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,972 of 15,694
  The Hugo does sound good with the HD800, it's got me content as I can't figure how to improve the sound further though I'm toying with the idea of adding a desktop amp - perhaps the Oppo HA-1.

Many of the amplifiers I have heard won't be an improvement.The right desktop amp would improve sound quality, but would not be cheap.  Headamp GS-X mk2 was an improvement over strait from the Hugo.  I didn't try other amps between the Hugo and the HD800, but based on on past experience I believe the EC Super7, EC Balancing Act, and Auralic Taurus MkII would also provide a step up in SQ.   I expect any of the amps from ECP would also be a step up.

--Mark

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,973 of 15,694
Day two of Hugo. . Regarding the amp inside it Is tunned on the bright side if asking me. As it sounds really good on day two , but if I try my woo wa 5 or hdvd800 as amp the upper mids and low end treble go back to normal. This type of setting helps with clarity and staging I feel but skews the overall tone a bit. I know it needs many more hours of burn in so this should be taken witha big grain of salt . I had a high end dac that was tunned like this but much more. It took me a little while as it sounded great like as good as my msb and I was getting depressed . This observation is with red book and red book plays very good with this dac. It has amazing separation as well as details. It does have the natural sounds of the better dacs . Non digital as some say. Hopefully by the weekend it will be on speakers as well this will reveal more aboutht sound staging and ambient of the recordings. So far it's a very good dac amp to listen too. Keep in mind my reamrks are not negative as the same sound it produces makes my lcd3 sound fantastic. So there is no perfect sound for all headphones or speakers. So far testing is with the hd800.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back