Chord Hugo
May 10, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #2,827 of 15,694
Anyone tried to pair this with smartphone via OTG cable? Does it work without any issues? Will it need a powered usb cable or can be plugged straight to a smartphone like E18?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

May 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,828 of 15,694

Most likely that's more or less like a bridge sitting between the NAS and Hugo. We just feed that with a nice power supply and the its digital output will give Hugo something good to work with.

I wonder how different NAS will (or will not) affect things. 

Quote:
I believe the 5mm is better with the Hugo on the Toslink end due to the recessed port.

Thanks!

May 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #2,829 of 15,694
A while ago I said that I thought chord HUGO and C4 were very similar, well it is true till you plug something more worthy of HUGO. It is incredible what HUGO did to TH900, so much detail that C4 had it missing. C4 is still great for most dynamic IEM but for larger headphone HGUO wins with no sweat. 

I still find the coaxial out from C4 to be better sound than AK120. It doesnt make sense as they are both digital but that is what I am hearing, unless I am going crazy. 

May 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,831 of 15,694
A while ago I said that I thought chord HUGO and C4 were very similar, well it is true till you plug something more worthy of HUGO. It is incredible what HUGO did to TH900, so much detail that C4 had it missing. C4 is still great for most dynamic IEM but for larger headphone HGUO wins with no sweat. 

I still find the coaxial out from C4 to be better sound than AK120. It doesnt make sense as they are both digital but that is what I am hearing, unless I am going crazy. 

I've just spent some time comparing an identical FLAC 24/96 file on a) iPhone/iPad Mini via generic daiyo USB cable to Hugo vs. b) AK240 via JPS Ultraconductor optical cable to Hugo. The difference isn't huge - I barely noticed it the first time I played back the song, but as I listened to it on repeat, randomly switching between inputs on the Hugo, the difference got more pronounced. I still can't say which is better necessarily - preliminary findings indicate the USB input seemed a tad bit more detailed on the high end, but the optical cable was slightly warmer and had better bass extension (this was with Fitear 335s w/ Silver Dragons). So difference was there, but was not significant enough that I could definitely say one was better than the other.

May 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,832 of 15,694
I've just spent some time comparing an identical FLAC 24/96 file on a) iPhone/iPad Mini via generic daiyo USB cable to Hugo vs. b) AK240 via JPS Ultraconductor optical cable to Hugo. The difference isn't huge - I barely noticed it the first time I played back the song, but as I listened to it on repeat, randomly switching between inputs on the Hugo, the difference got more pronounced. I still can't say which is better necessarily - preliminary findings indicate the USB input seemed a tad bit more detailed on the high end, but the optical cable was slightly warmer and had better bass extension (this was with Fitear 335s w/ Silver Dragons). So difference was there, but was not significant enough that I could definitely say one was better than the other.

If you have a chance, could you compare the hd usb input with coaxial?

May 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,834 of 15,694
Was reading through the computer audiophile hugo thread and came across this:

"Please note that the line level "bypass" is not a bypass at all, but simply a 3V boot up (hold crossfeed button while powering up) volume level that was created so Rob could a/b with the Qute EX (same gain). The digital volume is still in the mix, and can be tweeked from there. I have found that an ever so slight lowering from preset is exactly what my 2V max preamp enjoys, and takes the soundstage into a deeper and slightly more 5-7th row center perspective (rather than front row and slightly hot in my setup). "

What do you guys think about this?

May 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #2,835 of 15,694
Was reading through the computer audiophile hugo thread and came across this: with Hugo there is no bit attrition in the digital volume control and as it forms part of the Dac itself. Therefore it does not take or add anything in the way of distortion. So there is no need to bypass this function. So when the line out function is selected it sets a know constant know level that happens to be the same level as the chord Qute HD and EX rob told me when he was in Singapore he did this for direct comparison listening tests.

"Please note that the line level "bypass" is not a bypass at all, but simply a 3V boot up (hold crossfeed button while powering up) volume level that was created so Rob could a/b with the Qute EX (same gain). The digital volume is still in the mix, and can be tweeked from there. I have found that an ever so slight lowering from preset is exactly what my 2V max preamp enjoys, and takes the soundstage into a deeper and slightly more 5-7th row center perspective (rather than front row and slightly hot in my setup). "

What do you guys think about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back