Chord Hugo
Apr 17, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #1,951 of 15,694
  Yes performance goes up, costs come down, unlike everything else in the high-end! Maybe we will be talking about 10M taps in 10 years time. At some point though it will cease to make a difference, but I don't know where this point is.

When reading this post I was struck by two contradictory emotions - very pleased that you appreciate the number of taps argument, but a tiny bit bothered by the implication that it is all down to FPGA's, which of course in one sense is true. But it is also about appreciating that tap length and timing is important. I have been banging on about the importance of timing and tap length since late 1990's, when the DAC64 came out, and I have been a lonely voice, with a lot of opposition from qualified engineers saying I am talking nonsense. Nobody else talks about filter timing, nobody else talks about the importance of tap length. Indeed, the opposite is true - the high-end keeps banging on about the importance of no pre-ringing filters, completely the opposite to my thinking. 

The good thing about Spartan 6 and Hugo is that I can now do very serious tap length WTA filters and make it available at a reasonable price.

And Hugo talks for itself.    

1M taps? Very exciting times ! How is the tap length calculated and what is it dependent on? Hugo made a big leap in tap length.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,953 of 15,694
Findings:

1-Plugged in my trusty ER4S, hugo has no coloration of its own, it will play back what the track is like. The law of garbage in garbage out applies.

2-The stock optical cable seem to not to want to output anything higher than 24/96 resolution. Using AK120 as a source this problem occurs. I cannot test any other cable due to not been able to hook the socket in.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,960 of 15,694

Chord Hugo - Noble Audio Tour Dates

Axpona Hi-Fi Show, Chicago – April 25th-27th

http://www.axpona.com/

Munich Hi-End Show, Munich – May 15th-18th

http://www.highendsociety.de/index.php/en_high_end_moc.html#

Newport Beach Hi-Fi Show, California – May 30th-June 1st

http://www.theshownewport.com/

The Official 2014 San Francisco Head-Fi Meet, Doubletree Hotel San Francisco Airport, Burlingame, California - July 19, 2014

The Official 2014 Los Angeles Head-Fi Meet - Marriott Warner Center, Woodland Hills, California - August 9, 2014

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (Canjam), Denver, Colorado – October 10th-12th

http://audiofest.net/2014/

more Tour dates will be added shortly... hopefully a bit more global.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,961 of 15,694

My Hugo has finally arrived and I'm having the same problem. The bluetooth input is unlistenable at times. Especially on quiet classical passages. 

Unfortunately for me, it is the input I will be using the most until I sort out a source and cabling. 

I've asked my dealer to chase Chord on this. Perhaps Rob Watts can comment?

I don't use BT at all, so I asked Matt at Chord: 
Code:
 if you are using an Apple iPhone or iPad then these do not feature the better Apt-X codec so for the time being you should use a bluetooth adapter such as the BTD 300i from Sennheiser to get the best quality.

The Apt-X is a much better solution for BT than standard BT, which will sound noisy, as you can't get away from the low data rates of BT.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,963 of 15,694
I don't use BT at all, so I asked Matt at Chord: 
Code:
if you are using an AppleiPhone or iPad then these do not feature the better Apt-X codec so forthe time being you should use a bluetooth adapter such as the BTD 300ifrom Sennheiser to get the best quality.

The Apt-X is a much better solution for BT than standard BT, which will sound noisy, as you can't get away from the low data rates of BT.

I have tried it with both my itouch 5 and Galaxy note 3 which uses the Apt-x Bluetooth and I still get the noise on both devices.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,964 of 15,694
I have tried it with both my itouch 5 and Galaxy note 3 which uses the Apt-x Bluetooth and I still get the noise on both devices.

Just checked the Apx website and it doesn't seem the Note 3 supports Apx Bluetooth. :mad:

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,965 of 15,694

1M taps? Very exciting times ! How is the tap length calculated and what is it dependent on? Hugo made a big leap in tap length.

The short answer is its down to the FPGA. But I always go through a complex process of targeting a size, then finding it wont fit or make timing, then adjusting the design and you run through lots of iterations before you can maximize the performance with it meeting timing and leaving enough resources to do the other things you need to do... Sometimes it is like squeezing a balloon, you solve one problem, another one pops up. Part of the problem is that there are lots of ways of implementing the filter, so getting optimum performance for a given FPGA is tortuous.        

Users who are viewing this thread

Back