Chord Hugo
Apr 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,846 of 15,694
I have been seeing some comments describing Hugo as excellent DAC with a good headphone amp. Both comments, in my view, are wrong and way off the mark - and seeing these comments are starting to bug me, so I would like to get it off my chest.

So how do we reconcile reports that desktop headphone amps sound better? I don't believe they do, its a case of altering the sound to suit somebody's taste. 

I appreciate the passion! I think there are two issues that you've not taken account of though. The first I'm certain will affect people's view of the Hugo if they experience the same issues as me, the second probably does too but I'm not an engineer.

1) not all digital sources are the same, and noise and hash in the treble from a variety of problems increases the level of treble energy and reduces the perceived bass. In the same way a rough treble is distracting and sounds bright whilst a pure treble allows us to relax and enjoy a more balanced performance. If the Hugo and the HD800s are both brutally revealing then the source has to be utterly perfect. So, when are you going to make a high quality portable transport? :)

2) power. Some headphone amps are substantially beefier than the Hugo and I even enjoyed running my headphones off speaker power amps for a while. The system noise was audible in the latter example (I was at about -54db on the volume) but the grip and grunt was exceptional. I wonder if a beefed up output stage would improve the performance of certain headphones, in which case it's a trade off between simplicity (Hugo direct) and power (amp). Why do Chord make increasingly powerful speaker amplifiers? It can't just be for inefficient speakers (or maybe it is?)

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,847 of 15,694
I just checked with Chord about battery preservation, seems very simple, just switch off when not in use and don't leave Hugo on top of hot equipment surfaces etc. Other than that one can just leave the charger plug in all the time without any problem. Also don't need to do battery discharges like in some rechargeable batteries.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,848 of 15,694
Apr 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #1,849 of 15,694
Love my Hugo but why is Bluetooth input so damm noisy? Does not matter what Bluetooth device used I still get a lot of  noise.

Anyone else getting  the same problem?

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,850 of 15,694

is that dream days?, best to dream on...
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,851 of 15,694
Thanks for putting the amp argument to rest.

OK but... if NO amp should be added to the HUGO, then... WHY RCA & WHY Line-out mode implemented in the HUGO ???? :)

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,853 of 15,694
So, if I prefer my HUGO>my Tu-05 tube amp Rather than HUGO Alone, it is not because TU-05 is a better amp than HUGO's amp but because I prefer some 'tube flavour' injected in my music ? SHAME ON ME ! I should be banned from here for this ! :))

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,854 of 15,694
I appreciate the passion! I think there are two issues that you've not taken account of though. The first I'm certain will affect people's view of the Hugo if they experience the same issues as me, the second probably does too but I'm not an engineer.

1) not all digital sources are the same, and noise and hash in the treble from a variety of problems increases the level of treble energy and reduces the perceived bass. In the same way a rough treble is distracting and sounds bright whilst a pure treble allows us to relax and enjoy a more balanced performance. If the Hugo and the HD800s are both brutally revealing then the source has to be utterly perfect. So, when are you going to make a high quality portable transport? :)

2) power. Some headphone amps are substantially beefier than the Hugo and I even enjoyed running my headphones off speaker power amps for a while. The system noise was audible in the latter example (I was at about -54db on the volume) but the grip and grunt was exceptional. I wonder if a beefed up output stage would improve the performance of certain headphones, in which case it's a trade off between simplicity (Hugo direct) and power (amp). Why do Chord make increasingly powerful speaker amplifiers? It can't just be for inefficient speakers (or maybe it is?)

1) True about sources, I can't change much about the original recording! That said, it is always a balancing act between refinement (sounding rich and smooth) and transparency (sounding detailed and revealing). The nice thing about Hugo, is that it is very revealing, but in a natural way without being in your face. You can never get the balance right that suits all circumstances for all people though.

2) Power - yes good point, I meant to add this in my post. I too wonder if a beefed up OP stage would improve things. The output voltage is limited to 5V RMS (very much bigger than usual for portable but a bit smaller than some desktops) so if users use 22 ohms or greater impedance then you are good until you just hit white on the volume control. If the load is 8 ohms then it will start to increase distortion at the ultra violet colour (the colour just before white). So please let me know if any user gets to these colours on the volume. I tested the HD800 at just white, and it was extremely (deafeningly) loud... But feedback on what people actually use their volume settings with a named headphone would be very much appreciated.

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,855 of 15,694
I can't past blue with my TH900, actually that is too loud. For the HE-560, blue is good. 

The sound is like velvet and pure mountain air to my ears. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,859 of 15,694
  I can't past blue with my TH900, actually that is too loud. For the HE-560, blue is good. 

The sound is like velvet and pure mountain air to my ears. 

Lol - For me its Supra Analog Sound with Supreme Organic Clarity. It send me into the state of sublime musical absorption.

I never get pass Purple on Shure 846. Its too loud at beginning of red.

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,860 of 15,694
  How is dynamics with the 560? Do you feel a beefier amp brings better SLAM?

I don't know yet. Need more time. Seems to work very well though. Airy, musical and paced like real music, you know, that live stuff. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back