Chord Hugo
Apr 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,666 of 15,694
  Hugo can drive speakers also. Make speaker cables with RCA in one end and a speaker termination in the other end.

Please don't do this! If you need to do it then use the 1/4 inch output not the RCA output. This however is still not advised. If you need to get a pair of active speakers and then connect that to the RCA output.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,667 of 15,694
hi everyone, can anyone share what would be a good desktop speaker to pair with Hugo Chord?

I have a new pair of Dynaudio Xeo 3 I am going to try. No speaker cables. No fuss no muss. RCA into wireless transmitter.

Other option for limited space is audience One speakers with a small amp like a bel canto if you want smaller speaker footprint.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,668 of 15,694
Hey SoundFreaq 

What makes the HPA amp is so much better than the Chord amp? It delivers a more than adequate amount of power, with a THD of -140dB and a dynamic range of 120dB. I'm not sure how it could possibly get any better than that?

Everyone enjoys a good listen
o2smile.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #1,669 of 15,694

Please don't do this! If you need to do it then use the 1/4 inch output not the RCA output. This however is still not advised. If you need to get a pair of active speakers and then connect that to the RCA output.

Why use 1/4 inch instead of the RCA ?

I read that the 1/4 and the RCA are internally connected together (I mean same signal, just different plugs) !  isn't correct ? 

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,670 of 15,694
I am thinking of using the Hugo with Leben CS300SX to Focal Micro BE Utopia...thats if I can find a pair of used Focal later on this year... or a pair of new KEF LS50....

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,671 of 15,694
Apr 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,672 of 15,694
Why use 1/4 inch instead of the RCA ?

I read that the 1/4 and the RCA are internally connected together (I mean same signal, just different plugs) !  isn't correct ? 

My understanding as well. Same signal, just different plugs. Chord has said that there are no "real" headphone out as it all just connects to the power amp design that is implemented in the Hugo.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,675 of 15,694
  Would you say the amp of the Bakoon HPA-21 > Chord Amp portion?

I don't own a Hugo; my interest and engagement with this thread is from owning and having very good experience with the Chord QuteHD DAC product.  I will speculate, however, that the Bakoon HPA-21 performance would be significantly better than the Hugo amp, by virtue of their different circuit topologies.  The Hugo most likely uses an opamp chip, whereas the Bakoon utilizes current loop directed amplification, which potentially offers much greater musical fidelity.  Almost apples and oranges.  You should understand, tho, that this is all dependent on their actual implementation, which the Bakoon has done very well, and I understand the Hugo to be, as well.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,676 of 15,694
Can't see what the problem is with the chord hugo amp, powerful plenty of drive, don't feel like I'm missing anything

It's great you don't feel like you are missing anything cause then you are done. It's stupid to spend more money or make things more complicated if you don't hear the difference, or if the difference you do hear doesn't bring additional enjoyment.  Hence is would be silly for my daughter to bother with more than her monoprice earbuds strait out of her iPhone listing to Spotify, while it made perfect sense for others to shell out for something like the SR-009 + BHSE + >$5K DACs.

I am envious of you.  IF I thought I wasn't missing anything using just the Chord Hugo my headphone listening would be greatly simplified. Hugo + HD800... done.  It would also be a nice symmetry since my speakers are driven by a Chord SPM 1200 power amp which I love.  Given how portable the Hugo is and that I listen to either headphones or speakers I could even just drive the SPM 1200 with the Hugo and get rid of the rest of my gear.  Alas, for my ears (in a blind listening test) I preferred having a Headamp GS-Xmk2 between the Hugo and my HD800 with balanced cables to the headphones connected directly to the the Hugo.  The amplifier in the Hugo is decent, making it the best sounding portable DAC (or DAC+amplifier) I have ever heard, but I think top end desktop amplifiers takes the SQ to the next level when driving HD800 and LCD-X (can't speak to any other headphones). Of course, this is apples -vs- oranges since most people would not expect the amplifier in portable unit to match a top end dedicated desktop amplifier.

--Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back