Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #1,548 of 1,671
Certainly rob has mentioned that galvanic isolation is not used on hugo and Mojo, because it would help to drain the batteries too fast.

I thought that must be the case. Was just a tad concerned initially at the 7 hours I got out of TT when trying it out just running on batteries, but I guess that’s explained by the galvanic isolation and extras compared to Hugo. Cool!

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #1,549 of 1,671
I just did a tt1vs tt2 for 3 days in a modest speaker system but with premium and very transparent cables (Kef r3 speakers, Svs sb 2000 subs, rega elex r amp and tellurium silver diamond cables)
Although details and bass control come in spades when using the tt2, female vocals and some instruments lack the level of emotion that tt1 is able to transmit. tt1 makes female voices more present and real lifelike even if the voices have less detail...

Now I perfectly get those who find tt1 more enchanting than hugo 2 or tt2.

Rob Watts, if you're reading this, if it's possible, when designing your next dac, please make the female vocals sound exactly as they do with the original hugo tt. Thank you

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,550 of 1,671
For all you TT1 owners who dream of mscaler but can’t afford both mscaler and H2 or TT2 to get full 1m taps:

Try a trial of HQPlayer and either of sinc-m or poly-sinc-long-lp filters. Unlike mscaler these filters keep full tap length at lower resolution. For TT1 use usb 384k. Set bit length to auto.

I own both mscaler and HQP and can state the result is equal or better than mscaler. We all know the TT1 has a special sound that H2 can’t equal and now can have the >million tap filters as well.

Try this with a Mojo at 768k for a fantastic upgrade.

Chord boys please don’t flame me.

Dec 27, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #1,551 of 1,671
For all you TT1 owners who dream of mscaler but can’t afford both mscaler and H2 or TT2 to get full 1m taps:

Try a trial of HQPlayer and either of sinc-m or poly-sinc-long-lp filters. Unlike mscaler these filters keep full tap length at lower resolution. For TT1 use usb 384k. Set bit length to auto.

I own both mscaler and HQP and can state the result is equal or better than mscaler. We all know the TT1 has a special sound that H2 can’t equal and now can have the >million tap filters as well.

Interesting. With all respect, I've tried hqplayer and its upsampling. For me it's nowhere close to the m scaler.
It does something... but the effect was not even similar to the one with the m scaler.
If someone sees it as very close then ok, good for him he doesn't need to spend that much money.
I've already ordered m scaler as hqplayer just do way too little for my sonic tastes.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,552 of 1,671

Unfortunately flaming is slightly anticipated when you state something as being fact when what you really mean is that in your system and with your ears you personally like HQPlayer compared to the Mscaler. The real test is perhaps to try it with a more transparent Chord DAC and to see if you still think the same because using Hugo2 might be disguising some the differences between the Mscaler and HQPlayer.

However I do get that your post was meant in the spirit of trying an upscale option for TT1 or Mojo and for that it might be an interesting option but it is not an MScaler challenger.

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,553 of 1,671
Just posing an option for TT1 or Mojo owners who have been told that using the Mscaler at 500k taps is not a good option. I have no skin in the game but do own both. HQPlayer has a trial and it integrates seamlessly with Roon. To each his own, just a suggestion for those that like to experiment and for free.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,555 of 1,671
I realise this is off topic but cannot think of where else to ask the question. The program I used for many years to convert FLAC to ALAC no longer works for other reasons. Can anyone recommend a good standalone program to do this conversion?
Thanks

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,556 of 1,671
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,557 of 1,671
all ill say is i found the same with h1 vs h2. I preferred the less pulse arrays or less taps if that's what gave vocals and percussion a bit better slam. I haven't tested tt1 vs tt2. now ill give h2 the benefit of more detail, i think its strictly prference, and would be happy with any chord device im exposed for long enough. But yes the original hugo and TT are worth considering if price and throaty slam are preferred. or go new, whichever

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,558 of 1,671
I realise this is off topic but cannot think of where else to ask the question. The program I used for many years to convert FLAC to ALAC no longer works for other reasons. Can anyone recommend a good standalone program to do this conversion?
Thanks
dBpoweramp Music Convertor does an excellent job, especially if you have a lot to do. Free trial too.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,559 of 1,671
Hello I'm french,
I would like to change Dac. I am using a PC as the source with the Matrix Element H USB board
Maybe buy a used Chord Hugo TT or a Matrix X Pro Mqa saber. it is at close prices.
One is, I believe, from 2015 and the other from 2019
What do you think, will the presentation be very different?
Which would be a better digital preamp?
If I decide to keep my Anlog (Nuforce P9) preamp, which would be best for Dac use only?
Is the quality of the USB inputs similar?

Thank you

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #1,560 of 1,671
i would go for a good quality 2nd hand TT over the matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back