Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,578 of 1,671
Not sure what happened but TT now works with USBH outputting proper bitrate. This could have been the win driver or my PC but hey it works, so kinda regret getting D90 too quickly.
Let us know how they compare.

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,579 of 1,671
Let us know how they compare.

These are two distinctly different sounding DAC. I definitely get more volume out of TT but TT seems to lack the resolution while sound stage's smaller on D90. While TT sounds smoother and more organic with excellent sound expansion, D90 stands out on clarity and transparency. I still haven't quite decide which one now sits in bench. I also have Venus coming in month so that's another formidable contender.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,580 of 1,671
This TT just keeps me smiling. 6 years now. woot woot

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,581 of 1,671
This TT just keeps me smiling. 6 years now. woot woot

I posted in TT2 thread earlier, that I had received excellent after-sales service and support from Chord recently when my TT developed a minor fault. That Chord still support the TT and are willing to help resolve customer issues for an out of production item is to be applauded. And yes, the TT continues to give me a lot of pleasure and brings a smile to my face every time too!

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,582 of 1,671
Hi. New Chord TT owner (second hand) here with a quick question. I'm running my Euphoria tube amp from my TT and when listening with headphones directly from the TT with the Euphoria turned off I get very bad distortion, however this distortion totally disappears if the Euphoria is switched on. Has anybody any ideas why this might be happening. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,583 of 1,671
Having a good range of Chord dacs (no Dave), imho the TT1 is the smoothest non fatiguing of all. The TT2 has a bit more detail but a bit grittier. I listen to both a couple hours each day and would not part with the TT1. A sometimes forgotten plus to TT1 is it’s ability to run from battery.

Well said. I've just gone and ordered my second TT. Sold my TT2 last year, and had a temporary change to a a Quad Artera Play+ for a while which has been extremely good, but I really missed that addictive Chord DAC sound. Can't wait to get it through next week. Lesson learned - once you've found the sound that works for you, IGNORE the internet hype about 'better' and more taps and so forth. Stop when you've reached your own nirvana, and instead spend the rest on music :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #1,584 of 1,671
i've reported the issue to the good folks at Chord Electronics and they are investigating

Hi Halloweenman. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Reason I ask is that I've just received a used TT. Wonderful to have one again (truly a magical DAC, not as technically good as TT2, but I currently prefer it's more fluid and euphoric presentation). Really missed having one.

Unfortunately I too am getting this noise problem through the speakers, for the duration that the green dot-matrix display is lit up. Frustrating particularly with classical music when you can clearly hear it. I've resorted to having to use the manual volume control to avoid the display lighting up and the noise heard. I don't seem to get it when using headphones however.

Have just emailed Chord too so will see what they say.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,585 of 1,671
Hi Halloweenman. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Reason I ask is that I've just received a used TT. Wonderful to have one again (truly a magical DAC, not as technically good as TT2, but I prefer it's more fluid and euphoric presentation). Really missed having one.

Unfortunately I too am getting this noise problem through the speakers, for the duration that the alphanumeric display is lit up. Frustrating particularly with classical music when you can clearly hear it. I've resorted to having to use the manual volume control to avoid the display lighting up and the noise heard. I don't seem to get it when using headphones however.

What's 'funny' is that I used to get a high pitch whine, but directly from inside the unit not the speakers, when I owned TT2's when the display was lit. But the advantage of the TT2 was that it extinguished after a few seconds, whereas TT seems to keep the display showing for about a minute.

As an ex owner of TT I can only report that mine unit didn't have any high pitch noise generated by the matrix display. Not in speakers/headphones neither from the display itself.
Chord should fix that.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #1,586 of 1,671
As an ex owner of TT I can only report that mine unit didn't have any high pitch noise generated by the matrix display. Not in speakers/headphones neither from the display itself.
Chord should fix that.

Yes I don't recall it from when I first owned a silver TT, a couple of years back.

This is awkward as I only just bought this used, and we already had an issue with the delivery being a day late, so the seller had to chase that up for me and was a real help. So I have to decide whether to contact him and mention this, or swallow the insured courier costs and get it sent to Chord, and then possibly be met with a repair bill too. Bugger..... :/

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,587 of 1,671
Hi Halloweenman. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Reason I ask is that I've just received a used TT. Wonderful to have one again (truly a magical DAC, not as technically good as TT2, but I prefer it's more fluid and euphoric presentation). Really missed having one.

Unfortunately I too am getting this noise problem through the speakers, for the duration that the green dot-matrix display is lit up. Frustrating particularly with classical music when you can clearly hear it. I've resorted to having to use the manual volume control to avoid the display lighting up and the noise heard. I don't seem to get it when using headphones however.

They fixed it free of charge (it was new and under warranty). I believe this was a common problem with the old original TT - Chord later changed a component in the design to eradicate the problem in later models. Something to do with the component that powers the display if I remember rightly.

As ever, excellent service from Chord.

It was a very faint noise that could only be heard with ears very close to speakers.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,588 of 1,671
They fixed it free of charge (it was new and under warranty). I believe this was a common problem with the old original TT - Chord later changed a component in the design to eradicate the problem in later models. Something to do with the component that powers the display if I remember rightly.

As ever, excellent service from Chord.

It was a very faint noise that could only be heard with ears very close to speakers.

Cheers very much for that Halloweenman (and your PM). At least I now know it’s a recognised issue, though it’s going to bump the price up of this used purchase now I guess depending how much Chord decide to charge. A bit confused why Chord acted like this was a unique case when I contacted them last week, if they knew about this issue with the earlier TT models. Oh well, I’ll get mine off to them next week. Weird thing is it doesn't do it directly through headphones, or when plugged into a pre, but only directly into a power amp I get the whistle. Have tried two different power amps now and interconnects. Mine was fairly faint but still audible from the listening position a couple meters away. I’ve been resorting to using the physical volume control on TT as the display doesn’t light up them. Fingers crossed they can repair it quickly and it won’t cost an arm and a leg! Despite this issue, it’s so good to have a TT back in the system again - it’s my favourite DAC of theirs (though have yet to hear Dave!).

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,589 of 1,671
Cheers very much for that Halloweenman (and your PM). At least I now know it’s a recognised issue, though it’s going to bump the price up of this used purchase now I guess depending how much Chord decide to charge. A bit confused why Chord acted like this was a unique case when I contacted them last week, if they knew about this issue with the earlier TT models. Oh well, I’ll get mine off to them next week. Weird thing is it doesn't do it directly through headphones, or when plugged into a pre, but only directly into a power amp I get the whistle. Have tried two different power amps now and interconnects. Mine was fairly faint but still audible from the listening position a couple meters away. I’ve been resorting to using the physical volume control on TT as the display doesn’t light up them. Fingers crossed they can repair it quickly and it won’t cost an arm and a leg! Despite this issue, it’s so good to have a TT back in the system again - it’s my favourite DAC of theirs (though have yet to hear Dave!).
Sorry to hear about your noise issue. I only use my TT with headphones so haven't experienced this myself but hope Chord resolve this for you reasonably and speedily. As it is a used TT (as is mine), it might be worth asking Chord to change the batteries at the same time while they're at it. Just a thought.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,590 of 1,671
Sorry to hear about your noise issue. I only use my TT with headphones so haven't experienced this myself but hope Chord resolve this for you reasonably and speedily. As it is a used TT (as is mine), it might be worth asking Chord to change the batteries at the same time while they're at it. Just a thought.

Cheers. Yes it’s a bit of a weird one this. Guess it depends on the input topologies of the partnering power amp or pre, as to how much, or little, or not at this display ‘interference’ folds into the signal, or is audible. Like you it’s fine direct into headphones. Well be extremely interested to find out what Chord repair or change when it’s in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back