Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,396 of 1,686
Thanks guys for your opinions. Happy with the TT, but starting to look for opportunity to move to Dave (or TT2).

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #1,397 of 1,686
Thanks Mac. DAVE + amp is the answer I believe. (I think those who believe nothing is better than DAVE alone should audition some amps to see if they like it. Amps have a signature that may be best for your particular preferences and music.)

I would only say that an amp is need with the DAVE with the HE6SE, Susvara, Abyss Phi and LCD-4 (not LCD-4z). Beyond that, I recommend just the DAVE as a standalone.

Cheers!

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #1,398 of 1,686
I find that DAVE is really great with an amp and my Utopia. The Utopia gets along very well with my Rudistor RP010B.
The Utopia has a resonance here I really like, and the bass is very solid when amped well.
I guess I just love amps.

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,401 of 1,686
Im thinking of getting a second hand hugo TT for my beyer T1.2 but ive also been looking at the BMC ultra dac. Anyone has experience with both to compare?

I'd just like to chime in; you should also consider the Hugo 2. It should be better than the TT if I'm not mistaken; newer and more powerful FPGA, 10 element pulse array vs 4, about double the taps. I'm guessing the Hugo 2 outclasses it easily.

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,402 of 1,686
I found tt preferable to ch2 for hd800S. I’m not sure why tt still gets a bad rap, and ch2 for some reason is being put in the same space as tt2 being a lateral. Now I have not heard tt2, looks like I don’t want to afford it, also tt is just scrumptious for me. But I wouldn’t lull myself or others in saying just up source or upscale ch2 and forget tt2, yes it’s cheaper but I think you are missing out on a desirable solution, at 5800 usd.....

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #1,403 of 1,686
With TT, do I benefit from M Scaler at all? 384 kHz via BNC to TT, similar to H2? Half a million taps?

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,405 of 1,686
Or Hugo tt and a DX

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,407 of 1,686
Hey Guys anyone use tt with atc scm100a as pre amp/dac, looking for good dac with strong pre amp section, need advice.
How it will sounds like?
Does pre amp section of tt is good anough?
I use the Hugo TT direct into ATC SCM50A active speakers. Result is excellent. I did have a Mark Levinson No. 38 pre-amp in the chain for a while but decided the sound was better with the TT going directly to the 50s. You do need good quality long length XLR connectors. They make a difference.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,408 of 1,686
I use the Hugo TT direct into ATC SCM50A active speakers. Result is excellent. I did have a Mark Levinson No. 38 pre-amp in the chain for a while but decided the sound was better with the TT going directly to the 50s. You do need good quality long length XLR connectors. They make a difference.

Can I ask which XLR balanced cable you decided upon in the end? My friend has ATC SCM40A which I think are excellent and he uses Canare L-4E6S. He has asked me for thoughts . . . and then I saw your post so I thought I would ask you. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,409 of 1,686
Can I ask which XLR balanced cable you decided upon in the end? My friend has ATC SCM40A which I think are excellent and he uses Canare L-4E6S. He has asked me for thoughts . . . and then I saw your post so I thought I would ask you. Thanks.

Sure. I went with SLIC from MCRU https://mcru.co.uk/product/slic-innovations-eclipse-c-balanced-xlr-cables/?v=79cba1185463

Also tried Tellurium, a couple of Chord mid-range options, and one from Coherent Systems (near me) in the listening sessions (extended sessions at home in my own setup). I thought the SLIC were better than the competitors by a small margin even though the competitors were more expensive. All of the brand name products I tested were significantly better than the no-name okay quality stock cables I had before but the differences between the brand name products themselves were small. Most noticeable was the speed, depth and resolution of the bass, but there was also more refinement, detail and smoothness. I was very pleased to discover how much improvement was possible.

I'm no expert in this. In fact I've always been a bit sceptical about cables. For better advice there have been many good, thought-provoking posts on the forum. I would like to have tried one of Chord's top end £2k pairs, because with the diminishing returns I suspected you would have to go much further up-market to hear a noticeable difference. But I ran out of time and had to return the samples and was in any case pretty happy with the final setup.

I am an ATC fan. My 50s are nearly 20 years old but the design is still current. ATC have replaced all the drivers and capacitors and a few other worn components such as on/off switches, and recalibrated everything, over recent years at surprisingly low cost.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,410 of 1,686
Sure. I went with SLIC from MCRU https://mcru.co.uk/product/slic-innovations-eclipse-c-balanced-xlr-cables/?v=79cba1185463

Also tried Tellurium, a couple of Chord mid-range options, and one from Coherent Systems (near me) in the listening sessions (extended sessions at home in my own setup). I thought the SLIC were better than the competitors by a small margin even though the competitors were more expensive. All of the brand name products I tested were significantly better than the no-name okay quality stock cables I had before but the differences between the brand name products themselves were small. Most noticeable was the speed, depth and resolution of the bass, but there was also more refinement, detail and smoothness. I was very pleased to discover how much improvement was possible.

I'm no expert in this. In fact I've always been a bit sceptical about cables. For better advice there have been many good, thought-provoking posts on the forum. I would like to have tried one of Chord's top end £2k pairs, because with the diminishing returns I suspected you would have to go much further up-market to hear a noticeable difference. But I ran out of time and had to return the samples and was in any case pretty happy with the final setup.

I am an ATC fan. My 50s are nearly 20 years old but the design is still current. ATC have replaced all the drivers and capacitors and a few other worn components such as on/off switches, and recalibrated everything, over recent years at surprisingly low cost.

Many thanks. I will pass all that on. I have been very impressed with my friends ATCC SCM40A actives (he was even more impressed when I took round my Bku2/ Dave combination and plugged the Dave direct into the ATCs!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back