Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,291 of 1,671
Congrats on the TT. Try using the TT coupled with ISO Regen and perhaps the new ifi Galvanic3.0. I believe it will make your TT sound much nicer. The galvanic isolation on the TT is not well implemented. It could do with some "external help" :)

I'm actually planning to get an iUSB 3.0 nano since the ISO Regen isn't as readily available and won't have the chance to try it out. And eventually I might get an iGalvanic as well once it becomes available at one of the local Audio Stores here. :)

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,292 of 1,671
I'm actually planning to get an iUSB 3.0 nano since the ISO Regen isn't as readily available and won't have the chance to try it out. And eventually I might get an iGalvanic as well once it becomes available at one of the local Audio Stores here. :)
I must beg to differ on Chords implementation of galvanic isolation not being done well. Firstly it has been designed very well indeed and it won't need any more help from any other USB isolators however the USB is the only galvanically isolated input so perhaps someone might even suggest to use something for the TTs optical input to help its isolation too

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #1,293 of 1,671
I don't know about the endless isolator that are promoted onto chord dac, maybe it's in all dac threads, don't know don't care.
However why mess with what is clearly unnecessary and disputable benefits. It's like a manuafacturer says geez ferrite cores and cheap galvanic boxes ya that's easy add on sale instead of a high end desktop network.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,294 of 1,671
Nonsense.

Exactly, and from the Hugo TT designer himself!

Don't fool around with anything that can degrade your USB. Rob Watt's has said the Audioquest Jitterbug can help a bit but that's about all that will.

My personal experience is that when I tried an Uptone Audio Regen with my Hugo TT, the audio quality became noticeably worse. Way to make your $4,000 DAC sound like a $500 DAC.

I use the Jitterbug only and only because I'm using a longish USB cable from my Mac to my TT.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,295 of 1,671
Clip on ferrite cores do the same thing as the Jitterbug and are worth doing, in addition, with TT and DAVE in my experience. They are additive, so using more than one is worth doing.

Now playing: David Sylvian - Upon This Earth

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,296 of 1,671
I don't wish for this to be another "I say this and you say this" post but I stand by what I have mentioned. Maybe it is not the galvanic isolation that is the cause but I know what I am hearing. And I am not the only person hearing improvements. So unless you have personally tested the TT with the ISO Regen/ifiGalvanic3.0, you have no credibility to say that this setup will make the sound worse. Just stating the obvious. Just to be clear about this, I am the owner of both the TT and Dave.

And please do not use the example of the Jitterbug or Uptone (USB) Regen as an example because I have never claimed that these products are beneficial for the TT(read my original post again!). The Jitterbug is a waste of time(and money) to me.

In the end, I always encourage users to listen to the product and judge for themselves. You have nothing to lose this way. Take what has been mentioned in this forum with a pinch of salt because ultimately, it is your ears and we all hear things differently.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #1,297 of 1,671
I don't wish for this to be another "I say this and you say this" post but I stand by what I have mentioned. Maybe it is not the galvanic isolation that is the cause but I know what I am hearing. And I am not the only person hearing improvements. So unless you have personally tested the TT with the ISO Regen/ifiGalvanic3.0, you have no credibility to say that this setup will make the sound worse. Just stating the obvious. Just to be clear about this, I am the owner of both the TT and Dave.

And please do not use the example of the Jitterbug or Uptone (USB) Regen as an example because I have never claimed that these products are beneficial for the TT(read my original post again!). The Jitterbug is a waste of time(and money) to me.

In the end, I always encourage users to listen to the product and judge for themselves. You have nothing to lose this way. Take what has been mentioned in this forum with a pinch of salt because ultimately, it is your ears and we all hear things differently.

It's likely placebo effect. The designer/engineer of the Hugo TT himself has already discounted your claim above. Saying he has no credibility is disingenuous at best.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,298 of 1,671

If you are stating that the designer of multiple award winning DACs has no credibility, then your CV must go all the way to 11. Us mere mortals are not worthy we__re_not_worthy.png

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #1,301 of 1,671
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,302 of 1,671
He should really see Rob Watt's post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-230#post-12681548

his post contains the following comments:

"So adding the Audioquest Jitter Bug did indeed improve SQ - it was fairly easy to hear it"
"Use the jitter bug for mains powered USB sources - it is worth the small cost""
I agree about the value.
We are all reading audiophile threads, and for some audiophiles no equipment is worth considering unless it costs $500 or more.
For us mere mortals, items like ferrite chokes, the jitterbug, or the usb isolator recently mentioned by @Hooster are much cheaper, and offer musical improvements at relatively little cost.

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,303 of 1,671
I don't know about the endless isolator that are promoted onto chord dac, maybe it's in all dac threads, don't know don't care.
However why mess with what is clearly unnecessary and disputable benefits. It's like a manuafacturer says geez ferrite cores and cheap galvanic boxes ya that's easy add on sale instead of a high end desktop network.

Maybe the same reason that made you buy Antipodes.

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,304 of 1,671
He should really see Rob Watt's post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-230#post-12681548

his post contains the following comments:

"So adding the Audioquest Jitter Bug did indeed improve SQ - it was fairly easy to hear it"
"Use the jitter bug for mains powered USB sources - it is worth the small cost""

If the Jitter Bug did improve SQ with TT, it’s hardly unreasonable that ISO Regen/ifiGalvanic3.0 does it too and even profounder, no matter the technical explanation.

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,305 of 1,671
If the Jitter Bug did improve SQ with TT, it’s hardly unreasonable that ISO Regen/ifiGalvanic3.0 does it too and even profounder, no matter the technical explanation.

It's also possible that anything more than the Jitterbug, hurts more than helps, according to Rob Watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back