Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #631 of 1,686
For the HD800S, the TT has plenty on board to drive them. But the LCD-4s really need a more powerful amp. I can use the TT quite well with the T1Gen 2, HD800S, HE-1000, but the LCD-4s really need my GS-X Mk2 with the TT as the DAC to sound their best.

Yes, makes me think I really should have taken advantage of the opportunity to buy the significantly discounted ex-demo GS-X Mk2 at the recent London CanJam. Still not sure that my Chord Dave is falling short of fully driving my LCD-4 (200ohm) but would still have been nice to have one top quality headphone amp in my arsenal. I was fortunate to have both the TT and the Dave on loan at the same time but didn't have to test their limits in terms of driving ability as I did not at that time have the LCD-4, but they were both very comfortable driving my HE1000. I wonder at what point on the volume scale the TT and the Dave are taken past the point where they are at their best.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #633 of 1,686
Yes, makes me think I really should have taken advantage of the opportunity to buy the significantly discounted ex-demo GS-X Mk2 at the recent London CanJam. Still not sure that my Chord Dave is falling short of fully driving my LCD-4 (200ohm) but would still have been nice to have one top quality headphone amp in my arsenal. I was fortunate to have both the TT and the Dave on loan at the same time but didn't have to test their limits in terms of driving ability as I did not at that time have the LCD-4, but they were both very comfortable driving my HE1000. I wonder at what point on the volume scale the TT and the Dave are taken past the point where they are at their best.

The Reference line out level (6 volts) on DAVE is -3 db when you have it set up with an external power amp , but it will not start clipping before +4 db on the vol scale ( the vol . is bit perfect all the time nevertheless of the vol,) so it should not be any reference vol on DAVE.

The same digital bit perfect volume are applied on the TT, but it starts to clip much earlier, because it got half of the output power.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #634 of 1,686
The Reference line out level (6 volts) on DAVE is -3 db when you have it set up with an external power amp , but it will not start clipping before +4 db on the vol scale ( the vol . is bit perfect all the time nevertheless of the vol,) so it should not be any reference vol on DAVE.

The same digital bit perfect volume are applied on the TT, but it starts to clip much earlier, because it got half of the output power.

Does a digital bit-perfect volume control actually sound better than an analog potentiometer? That's not a rhetorical question. It just seems like it takes a lot of technology and money to get out of digital, any digital, what I could get from my Rega Planar 2, Linn K9 MM cartridge, and NAD receiver in the mid-late 1980s.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #635 of 1,686
Does a digital bit-perfect volume control actually sound better than an analog potentiometer? That's not a rhetorical question. It just seems like it takes a lot of technology and money to get out of digital, any digital, what I could get from my Rega Planar 2, Linn K9 MM cartridge, and NAD receiver in the mid-late 1980s.

Hi
It is 100% linear and transpararent nevertheless what volume u are using, until it clipps out at +4db, so it is the smartest way on doing it, because you get the most precise noise free and linear volume control you could ever get, it is as transparent as you dident had a volume at all, but in this case you can reduce the volume. The internal voltage is 6.5 volts, so i doesent need to gain the signal at all, just reduce it in digital domain before converted to electric analog output signal.

So it is the best Pre amp you could ever get with other words.

Rob have described this many times in the DAVE thread if you want to read more about it in depth.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #636 of 1,686

My general rule of thumb...if you can snag a GS-X Mk2...do it! 
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #637 of 1,686
Hi
It is 100% linear and transpararent nevertheless what volume u are using, until it clipps out at +4db, so it is the smartest way on doing it, because you get the most precise noise free and linear volume control you could ever get, it is as transparent as you dident had a volume at all, but in this case you can reduce the volume. The internal voltage is 6.5 volts, so i doesent need to gain the signal at all, just reduce it in digital domain before converted to electric analog output signal.

So it is the best Pre amp you could ever get with other words.

Rob have described this many times in the DAVE thread if you want to read more about it in depth.

I have mixed thoughts/feelings about it. When I used as Apogee Duet 2 as an MM preamplifier and ADC and performed RIAA EQ in the digital domain using Pure Vinyl, it did sound more prescise. On the other hand, some of the life of the music sounded missing in comparison to using my all-valve Audio Note OTO MM phono section.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #638 of 1,686
I have mixed thoughts/feelings about it. When I used as Apogee Duet 2 as an MM preamplifier and ADC and performed RIAA EQ in the digital domain using Pure Vinyl, it did sound more prescise. On the other hand, some of the life of the music sounded missing in comparison to using my all-valve Audio Note OTO MM phono section.

That can very well be very true, because in the end of the day it is the musicality and to each ones taste that sets the bar for what is good or not, but i do believe Robś design are very different from most other designs even thug both are digital.

So i think that is the reference on how good a volume control can be, when it is 100% transparent, so it have to be the DAC it self then that is not sound as you want maybe.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #640 of 1,686
anyone using a USB interface with TT?any improvement?

I use a Yellowtec Puc 2 with a linear power supply or sometimes a RME babyface Pro.

For my taste, the Yellowtec brings smoothness, realism, less digital signature and more a comprehensive soundstage.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #641 of 1,686
That can very well be very true, because in the end of the day it is the musicality and to each ones taste that sets the bar for what is good or not, but i do believe Robś design are very different from most other designs even thug both are digital.

So i think that is the reference on how good a volume control can be, when it is 100% transparent, so it have to be the DAC it self then that is not sound as you want maybe.

But my example talked about an all-analog front end, so no DAC was involved. If you're saying that the ADC in the Duet 2 may not be to my tastes, that's possible. I just don't think that having the volume control in the digital domain makes it 100% transparent anymore than THD determines the qualitative difference between the sound of amps.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #642 of 1,686
But my example talked about an all-analog front end, so no DAC was involved. If you're saying that the ADC in the Duet 2 may not be to my tastes, that's possible. I just don't think that having the volume control in the digital domain makes it 100% transparent anymore than THD determines the qualitative difference between the sound of amps.

PM @Rob Watts and he can describe exactly how he designed the digital volume circuit around all different shortenings in the path to not loose any in THD , SNR or DR .

Or it is also described in detail, in the DAVE impressions thread.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #643 of 1,686

Thanks Beolab. I guess that means if I don't go beyond +4, I'm good. That's certainly more than enough to take my LCD-4 to the volume levels I need.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #644 of 1,686
it might be worth mentioning that i have just received a custom cable made by designacable in the uk. it sounds superb, excellent workmanship, and the best part is that it only cost over 30 quid.

the most transparent sq from the tt (or any chord dac) is out of the rca but the scm40a active speakers i have only accept xlr (unbalanced or balanced wiring). so i wanted an rca to xlr cable but wired in such a way as to get the best out of both the tt and scm40a speakers (unbalanced to balanced). i decided on van damme xke tour grade classic as it has very low capacitance, low resistance, has a combination of pure copper and silver plated copper conductors, and it is widely used in the pro audio industry.

Cable:
Van-Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE mic cable

Connectors:
Rean NYS373
Neutrik 3 Pin NC3MXX-B Male XLR Connector

Wiring (best way to connect unbalanced to balanced):
RCA centre pin - cable red wire - to XLR pin 2
RCA outer ring - cable blue wire - to XLR pin 3
RCA outer ring - cable screen - to XLR pin 1
Silver solder

not yet compared with my chord rca-xlr shawline (wired same which is all silver plated and also sounds superb but more expensive) to see which i prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back