Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #661 of 1,686
I have only seen a Dave once and I did not get to listen to it. I tried a Hugo TT and found it superior to my QB-9 DSD in a general sort of way, but only single-ended, and I wanted a fully differential DAC, so I stuck with the Ayre. The TT has balanced outs, but even Chord says that it sounds best using the single ended outs at least from what I have read.

The balanced comes into play with your amplifier. If it's a single-ended amp, then you're good to go. If your amplifier has a balanced front-to-back topology, the balanced outputs will sound the best; otherwise your amplifier is lifting the load with one hand tied behind it's back. Balanced amplifiers require both balanced inputs and outputs to sound their best and engage all of the circuitry available for optimal operation. I don't want to argue whether "balanced is better than single ended", but as mentioned, it depends on your amplifier's design topology. Chord's comments were most likely intended if you were going to use it's headphone out. But if your amplifier (like my GS-X Mk2 or LL2) are balanced, then the balanced is the best option to use, not just theoretically, but through my experiences as well. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #662 of 1,686
The balanced comes into play with your amplifier. If it's a single-ended amp, then you're good to go. If your amplifier has a balanced front-to-back topology, the balanced outputs will sound the best; otherwise your amplifier is lifting the load with one hand tied behind it's back. Balanced amplifiers require both balanced inputs and outputs to sound their best and engage all of the circuitry available for optimal operation. I don't want to argue whether "balanced is better than single ended", but as mentioned, it depends on your amplifier's design topology. Chord's comments were most likely intended if you were going to use it's headphone out. But if your amplifier (like my GS-X Mk2 or LL2) are balanced, then the balanced is the best option to use, not just theoretically, but through my experiences as well. 

You're assuming a lot from a tiny amount of information and conveniently disposing of any ideas that don't fit your world view, further asserting that your experience trumps all others including my own. I don't know how to convince you that I understand balanced topologies other than to adamantly agree with everything you say. Is that really the standard by which you want people reading this forum to make decisions?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #663 of 1,686
You're assuming a lot from a tiny amount of information and conveniently disposing of any ideas that don't fit your world view, further asserting that your experience trumps all others including my own. I don't know how to convince you that I understand balanced topologies other than to adamantly agree with everything you say. Is that really the standard by which you want people reading this forum to make decisions?

All I stated was if one owns a balanced amplifier, a balanced input is ideal to use the full circuitry of the amplifier. Using the GS-X in single-ended mode yields a GS-1; not 100% of what's on tap. Thus the balanced is preferred with those types of amplifiers. Please re-read my comments. Now how it sounds is all up to the individual. Some I suppose would prefer the GS-1 over the GS-X, but generally that's not the norm. I tried to stay away from the balanced vs. single-ended debate (both the TT and DAVE are not balanced internally, but I'll leave this debate to others). Like most things in life, it depends...

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #664 of 1,686
I have the Hugo TT feeding a Violectric V281. I have both SE and balanced connecting cables. I tried both ways and definitely preferred XLR. The sound from RCA was warmer and thicker, from XLR it was clearer and more transparent. Not much but enough to be easily heard.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #665 of 1,686
i want to thank rob watts for suggesting that i try rca to xlr (i was using xlr to xlr) from tt to atc active speakers as for me there has been a big uplift in sound quality. what really stuck out was better instrument separation and soundstaging.

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #666 of 1,686
I have the Hugo TT feeding a Violectric V281. I have both SE and balanced connecting cables. I tried both ways and definitely preferred XLR. The sound from RCA was warmer and thicker, from XLR it was clearer and more transparent. Not much but enough to be easily heard.

Funny you should mention the Violectric amp, I'm reviewed the V280 right now and found the exact same thing. But a bit more significant depending on the power requirements of the headphones. With say the Utopias, there but not significant, but with my HD800S or the LCD-4s, quite profound.

i want to thank rob watts for suggesting that i try rca to xlr (i was using xlr to xlr) from tt to atc active speakers as for me there has been a big uplift in sound quality. what really stuck out was better instrument separation and soundstaging.

Active speakers...not sure why there would be any difference, but could be? But I just want to emphasize that my comments were based solely on the type of amp used downstream (whether it was balanced front to back or not). :)

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #667 of 1,686
if anyone could help with my question id appreciate it.

if i were to drop £3,000 on a Hugo TT what kind of improvements can i expect over the Mojo?

i know the law of diminishing returns hits hard iv experienced it many times, but sometimes that last 5-10% can be most special part of the sound.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #668 of 1,686
  if anyone could help with my question id appreciate it.

if i were to drop £3,000 on a Hugo TT what kind of improvements can i expect over the Mojo?

i know the law of diminishing returns hits hard iv experienced it many times, but sometimes that last 5-10% can be most special part of the sound.

I happen to have both and both share a very natural and neutral sound signature. The TT gives you a better sound stage, detail retrieval, and clarity...and its more than 10%...I'd say quite a bit more. The Mojo is brilliant (and I prefer it to the Hugo) for portability, but when using say USB, the TT really stands out as a clear upgrade...same goes for optical (my two main inputs). It really is head above shoulders better to my ears.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #670 of 1,686
  thanks for the response, sounds promising indeed, ill keep researching but this looks like its taking a place on my wish list!

Seeing that you're in the UK and Chord is a UK company...hopefully you can hear them both side-by-side to really solidify your decision. 
redface.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #671 of 1,686
  Seeing that you're in the UK and Chord is a UK company...hopefully you can hear them both side-by-side to really solidify your decision. 
redface.gif

yes i will try to at some point, if only some place in the UK could offer a loaner program, iv found that the best way to evaluate is to keep the item at home with you for a week or two.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #672 of 1,686
Help troubleshooting.  I'm getting static about 5 minutes into streaming music.  If I unplug the cord into my iPad and reconnect it then it is fine for another 5 minutes or so.  Set up as follows, I'm using the TT into a gsx mk2 running it balanced and using an iPad to drive it.  At first I thought my LCD4s had a driver issue and switched to a pair of 800s and had the same problem.  I checked the interconnects (my audio quests use batteries but they were working) and even changed out the lightning adaptor into the iPad.  Still had the issue.  Thought it might be tidal so switched to apple music and still had the issue.  Could the TT volume be too high?  But I'm running it on fixed volume and it has been fine over the last year.  Could it be an IOS 10 issue since that is the only thing that has changed in my set up?  Any thoughts?  I will try it again today to see if I get the same problem.  Thanks

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #673 of 1,686
Have you tried a different source like an imac. Tried itunes files as well. I use usb hd from imac, no problems yet

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #675 of 1,686
yes i will try to at some point, if only some place in the UK could offer a loaner program, iv found that the best way to evaluate is to keep the item at home with you for a week or two.

Most dealers do that, if you ask!

Subject to a deposit and checks etc.

The other benefits are the size, extra inputs, display, remote (pre amp easier with remote volume) and the oomph you get for the supercaps and added power reserves.

It's got balanced outputs, if you wanted them, and the sheer size means it doesn't sit awkwardly in the home system.

Many of he non sound issues were what swung it for me, particularly the remote control making it my pre amp that I don't have to stand up to change the volume on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back