Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #137 of 1,671
Great review although my wallet now hates you:wink: I'm currently running a v281/v850 stack with the Beyer T1 v2 combo which is great. Would you happen to have heard this combo and be able to comment on how it compares to the TT? Should I be selling stuff and upgrading?

Thanks!

Sorry I haven't heard the V281/v850 stack yet. 
redface.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #138 of 1,671

In about a week. 
smile.gif

Thx for the review!

I still have mine in the box...too afraid to try it out in case it tells me my desktop rig sux. :frowning2:  

So if I'm using JRMC 21 to play music, do I set encoding to None since I've read the Hugo TT prefers PCM?  Or leave it as Native 2x DSD that I use with the iFi microDSD?

Cheers,
-H

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #139 of 1,671
Dave vs Hugo TT

Anyone who have had the chance yet to listen to them side by side?

mmmm...........my dealer says that DAVE is superior to the Chord TT. Of course, I expected that. He's a *DEALER*. lol! I'd love to upgrade to DAVE but the Chord TT has one very crucial advantage: batteries. I need a transportable.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #140 of 1,671
  Thx for the review!

I still have mine in the box...too afraid to try it out in case it tells me my desktop rig sux. :frowning2:  

So if I'm using JRMC 21 to play music, do I set encoding to None since I've read the Hugo TT prefers PCM?  Or leave it as Native 2x DSD that I use with the iFi microDSD?

Cheers,
-H

I find the DSD simply brilliant from the Hugo TT...PCM is also great. I'd go with whatever your source material is encoded with.

mmmm...........my dealer says that DAVE is superior to the Chord TT. Of course, I expected that. He's a *DEALER*. lol! I'd love to upgrade to DAVE but the Chord TT has one very crucial advantage: batteries. I need a transportable.

While transportable, the TT is still meant as a Table Top. It's pretty heavy too. The batteries are there to reduce the noise floor primarily. But I suppose you can bring it with you if really to. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #141 of 1,671
Does this unit have different gain settings? From this thread it sounds like this is a great dad but what about the amp. I have a marantz hd dac1 now and I'm thinking about upgrading between this unit and a moon 430had and a maranta mha100. Although I think the moon isn't compatible with IOS devices.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #142 of 1,671
Does this unit have different gain settings? From this thread it sounds like this is a great dad but what about the amp. I have a marantz hd dac1 now and I'm thinking about upgrading between this unit and a moon 430had and a maranta mha100. Although I think the moon isn't compatible with IOS devices.

He's a great dad and his young son is just too cute.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #143 of 1,671

It does not have a gain setting. However, the volume control is part of a custom filter that is digital.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #144 of 1,671
Posted this on the DAVE thread since I went to audition the DAVE.  But the conclusions regarding the TT may be of interest to those following the Hugo TT, so posting again here.  Hope no-one minds.  No need to read again if you also follow the DAVE thread!

---------------------------------

Recently I had the chance to do an extended audition of the Chord range, Mojo, Hugo, TT and Dave, courtesy of Hi-Fi Lounge in Bedford, UK.   Been meaning to share some notes here as a thank you to the many posters who have helped me with their comments.

To go straight to the conclusion -- my conclusion, at least -- the pick of the range is actually the Hugo TT, the somewhat overlooked second child in the family.  I had read somewhere on Head-Fi Rob Watts saying the difference from the TT to DAVE is such "you do not even need to A/B, it is immediately apparent".  So I went to the audition expecting to hear an obvious difference when, actually, the difference was quite subtle and most of the time I had to strain to hear any difference at all.  It was only apparent in some parts of some tracks and even then a minimal improvement at best. 

On the other hand, the improvement of the TT over the original Hugo I found quite noticeable.  As if the TT was what the Hugo would have been if the restrictions on size etc. had been removed (which is the point, I guess).  More of the same lovely Hugo characteristics, just better in every dimension.  Compared to the Hugo I found the Mojo sounding similarly detailed, but comparatively thinner with a narrower sound stage. 

Obviously these comments ignore cost and value for money.  Each product is a very strong competitor in its price category (at least based on UK prices, which tend to be relatively lower than the price of imports from the US and elsewhere).  I could be happy with the Mojo or the Hugo as a portable solution that easily outperforms others I have heard, I could be completely happy with the TT.  It had absolutely no vices and continued to delight with every kind of source material I threw at it.

As to source material, it ranged from complex, large scale orchestral and choral works (think Mahler's 8th), to intimate recordings of acoustic instruments (violin, piano, guitar) and voice, highly engineered pop tracks (think Fleetwood Mac) and some HD audiophile tracks (e.g. Chesky).   Devices were driven from a Macbook Air using Pure Music/iTunes signal generation.  All the listening was done with my own Sennheiser HD800 headphones.  The USB interconnect was Chord's own for the DAVE and TT, and a simple, short interconnect provided by the store for Hugo and Mojo (I did wonder if the simpler cable hampered the performance of the Hugo and the Mojo but did not get a chance to experiment further).

There are many reasons why I might revise these judgements under different circumstances: if I had days of familiarity rather than hours, being more relaxed than I can normally be as a visitor to a hi-fi store (although Paul and Wendy were most hospitable), listening via speakers or other headphones, or just on a different day in a different mood.  So I offer these comments for what can be learned from one intensive session.

I am not in the market to buy DAVE but if I were I would be comparing it against tougher challengers.  As part of my search for a new DAC I heard several strong competitors, the best of which was the TAD DA-1000 (http://www.whathifi.com/tad/da1000/review).  The TAD is 50% dearer again than the DAVE (in the UK) and IMHO was in a higher class again.  Of course, I would need to spend a proportionate amount on speakers, amps, etc. to do it justice.  Yes, the result would be amazing if I could afford all that, which I can't.

But somehow, regardless of money, the TT is one of those hi-fi products that just hits the sweet spot -- able and assured with any kind of source material, revealing and engaging without ever being harsh, musical & forgiving without being over-smooth, rhythmic, fast, and crisp (as DaveRedRef remarks re the DAVE) -- I found myself repeatedly toe-tapping and humming along -- distracted from listening to the equipment by listening to the music, before I could stop myself.  The Hugo TT is a very complete and self-confident performer and a massive credit to its designer.

I look forward to seeing the responses others have as the DAVE becomes more widely available for audition.  Thanks for taking the time to read.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #145 of 1,671
Posted this on the DAVE thread since I went to audition the DAVE.  But the conclusions regarding the TT may be of interest to those following the Hugo TT, so posting again here.  Hope no-one minds.  No need to read again if you also follow the DAVE thread!

Recently I had the chance to do an extended audition of the Chord range, Mojo, Hugo, TT and Dave, courtesy of Hi-Fi Lounge in Bedford, UK.   Been meaning to share some notes here as a thank you to the many posters who have helped me with their comments.

To go straight to the conclusion -- my conclusion, at least -- the pick of the range is actually the Hugo TT, the somewhat overlooked second child in the family.  I had read somewhere on Head-Fi Rob Watts saying the difference from the TT to DAVE is such "you do not even need to A/B, it is immediately apparent".  So I went to the audition expecting to hear an obvious difference when, actually, the difference was quite subtle and most of the time I had to strain to hear any difference at all.  It was only apparent in some parts of some tracks and even then a minimal improvement at best. 

On the other hand, the improvement of the TT over the original Hugo I found quite noticeable.  As if the TT was what the Hugo would have been if the restrictions on size etc. had been removed (which is the point, I guess).  More of the same lovely Hugo characteristics, just better in every dimension.  Compared to the Hugo I found the Mojo sounding similarly detailed, but comparatively thinner with a narrower sound stage. 

Obviously these comments ignore cost and value for money.  Each product is a very strong competitor in its price category (at least based on UK prices, which tend to be relatively lower than the price of imports from the US and elsewhere).  I could be happy with the Mojo or the Hugo as a portable solution that easily outperforms others I have heard, I could be completely happy with the TT.  It had absolutely no vices and continued to delight with every kind of source material I threw at it.

As to source material, it ranged from complex, large scale orchestral and choral works (think Mahler's 8th), to intimate recordings of acoustic instruments (violin, piano, guitar) and voice, highly engineered pop tracks (think Fleetwood Mac) and some HD audiophile tracks (e.g. Chesky).   Devices were driven from a Macbook Air using Pure Music/iTunes signal generation.  All the listening was done with my own Sennheiser HD800 headphones.  The USB interconnect was Chord's own for the DAVE and TT, and a simple, short interconnect provided by the store for Hugo and Mojo (I did wonder if the simpler cable hampered the performance of the Hugo and the Mojo but did not get a chance to experiment further).

There are many reasons why I might revise these judgements under different circumstances: if I had days of familiarity rather than hours, being more relaxed than I can normally be as a visitor to a hi-fi store (although Paul and Wendy were most hospitable), listening via speakers or other headphones, or just on a different day in a different mood.  So I offer these comments for what can be learned from one intensive session.

I am not in the market to buy DAVE but if I were I would be comparing it against tougher challengers.  As part of my search for a new DAC I heard several strong competitors, the best of which was the TAD DA-1000 (http://www.whathifi.com/tad/da1000/review).  The TAD is 50% dearer again than the DAVE (in the UK) and IMHO was in a higher class again.  Of course, I would need to spend a proportionate amount on speakers, amps, etc. to do it justice.  Yes, the result would be amazing if I could afford all that, which I can't.

But somehow, regardless of money, the TT is one of those hi-fi products that just hits the sweet spot -- able and assured with any kind of source material, revealing and engaging without ever being harsh, musical & forgiving without being over-smooth, rhythmic, fast, and crisp (as DaveRedRef remarks re the DAVE) -- I found myself repeatedly toe-tapping and humming along -- distracted from listening to the equipment by listening to the music, before I could stop myself.  The Hugo TT is a very complete and self-confident performer and a massive credit to its designer.

I look forward to seeing the responses others have as the DAVE becomes more widely available for audition.  Thanks for taking the time to read.

I think it most have bin something in the chain that smothered out all sources to sound allmost the same, because i would guess the HiFi store used a separate pre-amp to switch btw the diffrent DAC's and that don't give DAVEś sophisticated and sensitive micro details / dept and more full justice, because you need it to be direct coupled with the power amps for a untouched sound .

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #146 of 1,671

Great comments...I still haven't heard the Dave, but I do agree with your sentiments on the TT in general; and in comparison to the Hugo. I'm a big fan of both the Hugo and TT, but the TT really hits on all cylinders for me!

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #147 of 1,671

Great comments...I still haven't heard the Dave, but I do agree with your sentiments on the TT in general; and in comparison to the Hugo. I'm a big fan of both the Hugo and TT, but the TT really hits on all cylinders for me!

Yes, I there are some hi-fi products which, almost regardless of a high or low price, just get everything right and are easy to enjoy as a result.  I think the TT is one of those.

BTW do I recall you saying The Beatles are among your musical favourites?  I have been searching for a good digital version of Beatles complete, but not found one.  Do you have any recommendations?  Thanks.

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #148 of 1,671

Yes, I there are some hi-fi products which, almost regardless of a high or low price, just get everything right and are easy to enjoy as a result.  I think the TT is one of those.

BTW do I recall you saying The Beatles are among your musical favourites?  I have been searching for a good digital version of Beatles complete, but not found one.  Do you have any recommendations?  Thanks.

I own both the Stereo and Mono Box Sets. Heck, I even own the US album Box Set too. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #149 of 1,671
Santa is bringing the Chord TT (black). :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #150 of 1,671
Does the Hugo TT need to "break-in"?

I finally replaced my trusty iFi micro iDSD with the Hugo TT.  The bass is much better.  It gives a fuller sound.  The depth seems to be improved as well.

But....BUT...the highs are painful.  So shrill.  I'm going to let this run for a bit and see.

IMHO, the Hugo TT is better than the micro iDSD but, so far, it's not commensurate with the price difference.

-H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back