Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #661 of 1,858
This is my first post, so here goes and please be gentle with me. I've just ordered a Hugo, Fostex TH900 and Shure SE535 after reading endless posts. I live in the Caribbean, so have no way to demo, so need to rely on the opinions of everyone here on Head-Fi. Most of my listening will be at home with my Macbook Pro and the Fostex TH900. Seems like Jriver is the best/most convenient player for me. I'd like to know what folks views are on what to use for the odd time I travel with my Hugo and Shure SE535. Is the ipod touch or ipad with camera connector fine for a player or should I consider something like FIIO or Sony ZX1? Sorry, I've tried to figure this out on my own reading through various threads but I have to admit it's been hard to follow and many times understand!

Thx all.

So I finally received my Hugo and headphones today. I anxiously opened everything up and set it up on my bed to have my first listen before I put my girls to sleep.  They were a bit restless today and while in the other room I hear a loud bang.  I come out and see my youngest on the bed with the headphones and my Hugo on the ceramic floor!  I freaked and she started to cry and said she just wanted to listen to the headphones after which I apologized and gave her a big hug and almost started to cry myself.  Well, good news is that the Hugo is a tank and survived unscathed and works flawlessly.  Thank goodness.  Now to start listening.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #662 of 1,858

So I finally received my Hugo and headphones today. I anxiously opened everything up and set it up on my bed to have my first listen before I put my girls to sleep.  They were a bit restless today and while in the other room I hear a loud bang.  I come out and see my youngest on the bed with the headphones and my Hugo on the ceramic floor!  I freaked and she started to cry and said she just wanted to listen to the headphones after which I apologized and gave her a big hug and almost started to cry myself.  Well, good news is that the Hugo is a tank and survived unscathed and works flawlessly.  Thank goodness.  Now to start listening.

you can't get mad at your little girl appreciating your audio gear ha

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #663 of 1,858

Considering how cheap nwz a15 is the right now it isn't he cheapest and most innovative source we can find for Hugo. With future drop in microSD prices we can get two 128GB cards and be happy. The scanning is fast, folder view and 12-14 hours of digital out all for 249 AUD is not bad.

you're getting 12hours+ with the A15?... I get 6hrs max with my ZX1, is that a new Sony cable you've got that is different form the original one you had to buy?

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #664 of 1,858
you're getting 12hours+ with the A15?... I get 6hrs max with my ZX1, is that a new Sony cable you've got that is different form the original one you had to buy?

To be fair it will be less considering the test was done while the screen was off and no other albums was selected. I would say 8-9 hrs is the safer limit.

The cable is the same, Sony only has one cable for digital out.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #665 of 1,858

I can attest to the Hugo's robustness, my first handling experience was a disaster as I dropped poor ole Hugo... you know the coo, Hugo decides to go a different way to me and leaps out of my hand and proceeds to bounce down some stairs then head-butting a oak-door and settling on a concrete floor... l was mortified believe me but all that starts badly ends well it appears, there was not a mark on the Hugo & it worked perfectly.

I'm emailing a mate in Donetsk later, I've heard there's an affable Russian tank commander locally that will do a reincarnation of QDP v T55 tank-test... think I'll put my dosh on Hugo, link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQxshtTShY

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #666 of 1,858
To be fair it will be less considering the test was done while the screen was off and no other albums was selected. I would say 8-9 hrs is the safer limit.

The cable is the same, Sony only has one cable for digital out.

thanks for that appreciated... I should do a proper test as I've never plugged the ZX1 into the Hugo fully charged so I could possibly squeeze a bit longer run-time out of the pairing... why Sony doesn't make a WM-Port>mini USB-cable is a mystery, one can hope I suppose.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #667 of 1,858
I'd like to make a case for the Hugo- starting out with something that fits it and then cut holes for the volume control, light ports, usb, etc.
Has anyone found a case on Amazon that would fit and could be modified this way? Thanks

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #668 of 1,858
Nov 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #669 of 1,858
  I'd like to make a case for the Hugo- starting out with something that fits it and then cut holes for the volume control, light ports, usb, etc.
Has anyone found a case on Amazon that would fit and could be modified this way? Thanks

I'm interested in this too. I don't like the design of the Chord case and would rather find someother way to protect my 240 and Hugo with as little bulk as possible.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #670 of 1,858
I also don't like the design of Chord's official case and for $170 it seems overpriced.
So I'd still like to make my own... any suggestions on what kind of case I could modify?

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #671 of 1,858
The hugo case is over priced jut like the hugo we own lmao
Al

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #673 of 1,858
The hugo case is over priced jut like the hugo we own lmao
Al

I shall be a bit more subtle than Tarzan in my reply as I like Al but hate chocolate ice-cream... cost is all relative to the price you're prepared to pay, the case I bought for my Z1070 from cost me £55 ($90+), now I thought that was expensive but at least it was well made, offered a bit of protection & was classy to look at. Moving on to last year when I purchased my F887 I decided to pre-order the case thinking it would be similar to my last Sony offering, alas Mr Disappointment was waiting & hiding behind the local corner-shop and he gave me a case which resembled two bits of cardboard smothered in something that was supposed to be leather, this was no where near the quality of my other case but with  shipping it more or less cost me the same... the Hugo case for all of its detractors (for what ever reason) is well made & thought out, obviously this is in my infinite wisdom that knows no boundaries. A little about the case if I may, it is hand-made of quality leather and the holes marry up perfectly with the connection points & portholes, the elastic bands on one of the sides are a boon for either a DAP or Phone, no more thick rubber bands that turn your fingers into Mr Universe and threaten to break the glass of your preferred source.... the bands also serve as a useful cable management system which comes in very handy if you're using a two-piece cable set-up from Sony or Apple.

I tend to use my Hugo case upside down as I can then hold it in my hand securely (click on photo to enlarge)... life's a ice-cream parlour it appears, mines a soft ice-cream cornet with a couple of Cadbury Flakes, it's called a '99' in UK, I suppose that was because one didn't like it, who knows huh.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #674 of 1,858

I shall be a bit more subtle than Tarzan in my reply as I like Al but hate chocolate ice-cream... cost is all relative to the price you're prepared to pay, the case I bought for my Z1070 from cost me £55 ($90+), now I thought that was expensive but at least it was well made, offered a bit of protection & was classy to look at. Moving on to last year when I purchased my F887 I decided to pre-order the case thinking it would be similar to my last Sony offering, alas Mr Disappointment was waiting & hiding behind the local corner-shop and he gave me a case which resembled two bits of cardboard smothered in something that was supposed to be leather, this was no where near the quality of my other case but with  shipping it more or less cost me the same... the Hugo case for all of its detractors (for what ever reason) is well made & thought out, obviously this is in my infinite wisdom that knows no boundaries. A little about the case if I may, it is hand-made of quality leather and the holes marry up perfectly with the connection points & portholes, the elastic bands on one of the sides are a boon for either a DAP or Phone, no more thick rubber bands that turn your fingers into Mr Universe and threaten to break the glass of your preferred source.... the bands also serve as a useful cable management system which comes in very handy if you're using a two-piece cable set-up from Sony or Apple.

I tend to use my Hugo case upside down as I can then hold it in my hand securely (click on photo to enlarge)... life's a ice-cream parlour it appears, mines a soft ice-cream cornet with a couple of Cadbury Flakes, it's called a '99' in UK, I suppose that was because one didn't like it, who knows huh.

Any more shots of the case?

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #675 of 1,858
Guys and gals relax i own a case too. And it's the hugo one for almost 200 usd. That's why I said what I said. And I honestly was joking . It is a first rate quality case . I just wish it had a spot for my I phone inside it.
So are we good now !
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back