Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Nov 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #677 of 1,858
Will the Chord case work with a 240? It is expensive, but since in my situation it would hold 5K worth of electronics, it will be worth it provided the craftsmanship is top notch. If I decide to go that route I'd probably order the brown version.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #678 of 1,858
  Will the Chord case work with a 240? It is expensive, but since in my situation it would hold 5K worth of electronics, it will be worth it provided the craftsmanship is top notch. If I decide to go that route I'd probably order the brown version.

I had the AK240 with the Hugo but it was a waste of the AK240 so sold it and got the Ak120ii instead.

The case does not fit the AK240 very well as the band covers the screen. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #680 of 1,858

After much deliberation and discussions with @OkGuy and @Fortisflyer75 (owe you both a beer
beerchug.gif
), reading reviews after reviews I am now at my ultimate setup
biggrin.gif

1) I just wanted to ask if anyone had found any 90 deg down connectors to get the white usb cable underneath the hugo case flap (as its in the way for me) and keep it from being exposed while carrying around.

2) Any views as to the best usb cable? (will do some searching here as I think its been discussed <cough>)

3) Is there an option to have a splitter usb cable instead of the stock cable to get power into the ZX1 while its playing and without damaging the hugo?

4) Is there any benefit using a usb to optical converter to go into the hugo optical, as the usb connectors scare me, alot! Hope they are covered if they come of with normal use! All good at the moment.

5) Some feedback chord, would be great to have a slot in the flap, so the power cable fits with the flap closed
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #681 of 1,858

After much deliberation and discussions with @OkGuy and @Fortisflyer75 (owe you both a beer
beerchug.gif
), reading reviews after reviews I am now at my ultimate setup
biggrin.gif

1) I just wanted to ask if anyone had found any 90 deg down connectors to get the white usb cable underneath the hugo case flap (as its in the way for me) and keep it from being exposed while carrying around.

2) Any views as to the best usb cable? (will do some searching here as I think its been discussed <cough>)

3) Is there an option to have a splitter usb cable instead of the stock cable to get power into the ZX1 while its playing and without damaging the hugo?

4) Is there any benefit using a usb to optical converter to go into the hugo optical, as the usb connectors scare me, alot! Hope they are covered if they come of with normal use! All good at the moment.

5) Some feedback chord, would be great to have a slot in the flap, so the power cable fits with the flap closed
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance

Hi MannP, You owe me nothing other than just enjoying listening to your new found set up as we are all here for one another for the same reason as we are all head techno geeks.  

A1) I have not got that far yet as I have yet to get a case for mine, which will come at a later date, rather spend it on a usb cable first as I have a make shift Oakley M-frame transport case to house it for now.  

A2) I personally if they start to come up on ebay in the future would be the sound I have in my home system and they now do a usb cable version of it which is the Chord Company "Indigo" usb they now do but new price will not be justified (ultra high, 2/3 of Hugo price!) unless maybe you are in a hardcore speaker setup that cost as much as a Virgin Galactic space plane venture.  For now I am also on the look out for a reasonable costing cable that will improve on the supplied stock usb cable.  I am interested in maybe Chords lower models or Van Den hul, or maybe any well recommended botique made usb cables from other Hugo owners.  

A3) That would be great but don't see that happening unless it is from a modder who is in to that sort of thing who can pull it off somehow. 

A4) I am not to worried as although they look like they are floating fragile disasters waiting to happen they do feel pretty secure to the feel when attaching a cable and would not let this fear of it snapping off deter you from getting the best direct route for the SQ. Just enjoy and worry about if it did snaps when it happens!  This is why we all have to buy a back up Hugo!! yiks. 

A5) Nice idea, maybe something that could be refined on the Hugo 2 along with the usb slots and other input holes been further improved with experience of user feedbacks. 

Anyway, hope you are in heaven with this set up, groovy K10 colour scheme, very hey man, lets get psychedelic! I finally now have my Hugo and a rather large hole on my wallet about the size of a Hugo and have to say it was worth the wait and outlay (got mine 2nd hand few months old  for a reasonable price - was only used as dac only in hi-fi speaker setup). 

Since I had the chance of the week long demo of one a few months back I have pined for a Hugo as nothing sounding as good without it and knew this was the one with what it had to other in terms of multi uses in this little box was a lot of answers been answered in what I wanted in a head/amp dac. I never thought I would be able to say my desktop amp/dac and my portable amp/dac was the one and same device.  I know it is not truly portable like a normal portable amp would be and would not use it like that, but to be able to take this on a plane, train to hotels on your travels is a nice thought as well as have it not take up all of my coffee table beside my arm chair where my head-fi domain resides.  

Just love the effortless perfect timing, tempo, non coloured realistic sounding tonal images of instruments the hugo delivers to name only a few of it's stand out characteristics.  Will pm you soon MannP as I am currently juggling and multitasking! And the wife says blokes can't do that! 

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #682 of 1,858

I had the AK240 with the Hugo but it was a waste of the AK240 so sold it and got the Ak120ii instead.

The case does not fit the AK240 very well as the band covers the screen. 

thanks for your reply ...

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #685 of 1,858
I picked up my new Hugo in black today and I'm very pleased with the fit and finish (although the stickers on back were placed crooked in an obvious way). I'm running my 240 via the supplied mini toslink cable into it for the burn-in phase, so I'll be reporting the sound quality to my ears as it warms up.

Always happy to get a new audio toy ... :smile:

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #686 of 1,858
Got to get my spray paint out and make mine black, maybe just some graffiti and make it ghetto. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #688 of 1,858
Pics please lol.

Got to practice on something less expensive first and then go under a bridge and get to work. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #689 of 1,858
By the way, I'm sure there will be a difference, but can anyone comment on the improvement between the supplied toslink cable and let's say, a Moon Audio Sliver Dragon? I want a 4" cable to link between my 240 and Hugo, something I hope also makes a more positive feeling connection into the Hugo's connector.

I reached out to Drew at Moon Audio to see if he can make a custom 4" cable for me.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #690 of 1,858
  Hi MannP, You owe me nothing other than just enjoying listening to your new found set up as we are all here for one another for the same reason as we are all head techno geeks.  

A1) I have not got that far yet as I have yet to get a case for mine, which will come at a later date, rather spend it on a usb cable first as I have a make shift Oakley M-frame transport case to house it for now.  

A2) I personally if they start to come up on ebay in the future would be the sound I have in my home system and they now do a usb cable version of it which is the Chord Company "Indigo" usb they now do but new price will not be justified (ultra high, 2/3 of Hugo price!) unless maybe you are in a hardcore speaker setup that cost as much as a Virgin Galactic space plane venture.  For now I am also on the look out for a reasonable costing cable that will improve on the supplied stock usb cable.  I am interested in maybe Chords lower models or Van Den hul, or maybe any well recommended botique made usb cables from other Hugo owners.  

A3) That would be great but don't see that happening unless it is from a modder who is in to that sort of thing who can pull it off somehow. 

A4) I am not to worried as although they look like they are floating fragile disasters waiting to happen they do feel pretty secure to the feel when attaching a cable and would not let this fear of it snapping off deter you from getting the best direct route for the SQ. Just enjoy and worry about if it did snaps when it happens!  This is why we all have to buy a back up Hugo!! yiks. 

A5) Nice idea, maybe something that could be refined on the Hugo 2 along with the usb slots and other input holes been further improved with experience of user feedbacks. 

Anyway, hope you are in heaven with this set up, groovy K10 colour scheme, very hey man, lets get psychedelic! I finally now have my Hugo and a rather large hole on my wallet about the size of a Hugo and have to say it was worth the wait and outlay (got mine 2nd hand few months old  for a reasonable price - was only used as dac only in hi-fi speaker setup). 

Since I had the chance of the week long demo of one a few months back I have pined for a Hugo as nothing sounding as good without it and knew this was the one with what it had to other in terms of multi uses in this little box was a lot of answers been answered in what I wanted in a head/amp dac. I never thought I would be able to say my desktop amp/dac and my portable amp/dac was the one and same device.  I know it is not truly portable like a normal portable amp would be and would not use it like that, but to be able to take this on a plane, train to hotels on your travels is a nice thought as well as have it not take up all of my coffee table beside my arm chair where my head-fi domain resides.  

Just love the effortless perfect timing, tempo, non coloured realistic sounding tonal images of instruments the hugo delivers to name only a few of it's stand out characteristics.  Will pm you soon MannP as I am currently juggling and multitasking! And the wife says blokes can't do that! 

FortisFlyer75, as always a comprehensive response!

The chord usb's seem to go from £40 to £400 and then interstellar and out of my price range. Phil mentioned the Vertere when I bought my hugo, but haven't heard it myself, or even whether that is still on the list. Minimum seems to be 25cm which is too long in this instance.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-acoustics-d-fi-usb-interconnect-cable.html

Guess I should give it a try now I have my k10's to see if I can hear any change.

To be honest I am very happy with the setup I have, but it would be good if it was a little more compact with the sony connector for the ZX1. Anyway not a big issue, will keep looking.

Don't go doing anything drastic like multitasking! She'll have you doing multiple 'todo' tasks at the same time
biggrin.gif
which wont leave you any time to listen to your hugo! (congrats on the purchase!)

Last sentence sums it up for me, as well as the fact that I can't believe how good redbook sounds with the hugo.

After chasing so called hires, I'll be sticking with redbook for a while yet.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back