Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Nov 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #692 of 1,858

After much deliberation and discussions with @OkGuy and @Fortisflyer75 (owe you both a beer
beerchug.gif
), reading reviews after reviews I am now at my ultimate setup
biggrin.gif

1) I just wanted to ask if anyone had found any 90 deg down connectors to get the white usb cable underneath the hugo case flap (as its in the way for me) and keep it from being exposed while carrying around.

2) Any views as to the best usb cable? (will do some searching here as I think its been discussed <cough>)

3) Is there an option to have a splitter usb cable instead of the stock cable to get power into the ZX1 while its playing and without damaging the hugo?

4) Is there any benefit using a usb to optical converter to go into the hugo optical, as the usb connectors scare me, alot! Hope they are covered if they come of with normal use! All good at the moment.

5) Some feedback chord, would be great to have a slot in the flap, so the power cable fits with the flap closed
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance

1) if anyone can find a right-angled one it will be 'Seeteeyou', he's better than a bloodhound at sniffing out gear.

2) pass

3) hahaha this is Sony you're talking about, dream on.

4) is there such a cable?

5) I have prototype case which was given to me by JF so a bit different to yours, though I do have a simple solution for you... take the 'case, lead & Hugo' to your local shoe-repairer as they'll have the right tools to punch a hole though the leather exactly where you want it, simples.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #693 of 1,858
  Hi MannP, You owe me nothing other than just enjoying listening to your new found set up as we are all here for one another for the same reason as we are all head techno geeks.  

I finally now have my Hugo and a rather large hole on my wallet about the size of a Hugo and have to say it was worth the wait and outlay (got mine 2nd hand few months old  for a reasonable price - was only used as dac only in hi-fi speaker setup). 

Since I had the chance of the week long demo of one a few months back I have pined for a Hugo as nothing sounding as good without it and knew this was the one with what it had to other in terms of multi uses in this little box was a lot of answers been answered in what I wanted in a head/amp dac. I never thought I would be able to say my desktop amp/dac and my portable amp/dac was the one and same device.  I know it is not truly portable like a normal portable amp would be and would not use it like that, but to be able to take this on a plane, train to hotels on your travels is a nice thought as well as have it not take up all of my coffee table beside my arm chair where my head-fi domain resides.  

Just love the effortless perfect timing, tempo, non coloured realistic sounding tonal images of instruments the hugo delivers to name only a few of it's stand out characteristics.  Will pm you soon MannP as I am currently juggling and multitasking! And the wife says blokes can't do that! 

speak for yourself when it comes to hitting MannP for a beer, you can take it as fact that I will be drinking 'your beer' when MannP  flashes the shekles, this will be way better than the 2for1's you get from Tesco's (not that I shop there). 

great to see you have a Hugo mate at least you have had a good result, unlike that dog-turd team you support... in life there are always winners & losers, Hugo = winner, Spurs = losers, Champs league for my mob I reckon...
wink_face.gif

funnily enough some guy called Noah phoned me about six-weeks back asking me if I wanted to do a carpentry-course, thinking it was one of those miss-selling phone guys with a new ruse I dismissed his offer... sadly my kitchen was flooded whilst I was away for a bit and had to rip up my laminate flooring upon my return which has left me with empty pockets, so no SE846's to go with my Hugo... still taking the positives from the negatives at least I won't be shovelling elephants dung like poor ole Noah.

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #694 of 1,858
I've been running my new Hugo continuously since Friday and here are a few observations:

1) the sound quality is as advertised. I've run it with my AK240 playing lossless and lossy files and there is a definite improvement even though the Hugo may not be fully burned in. I've also used it on my main system with CDs, and frankly, I was flabbergasted on how much of an improvement I heard.

2) the included toslink cable with the mini plug end does not pass anything above 24/96. The sampling frequency light blinks dimly as if the Hugo is trying to read the signal. I ended up ordering a Sys Concept toslink six inches in length to be able to play my 24/192 files from my 240. Moon Audio has an interesting graphic on its website showing the toslink input on the Hugo will read DSD64 files ... alas, the 240 will not pass DSD from its toslink output.

3) the bluetooth input sounds good, however, the Hugo is sensitive to how far my MacBook Air is with anything beyond ten feet line of sight not working. I have other bluetooth receivers which have better performance in this regard, but I wonder if the apt-X codec is more sensitive to distance.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase so far. I just noticed HDtracks has Jazz at the Pawnshop available as a 24/352 file. This is an old audiophile classic with superb sonics, so I'll probably buy it to fully hear the Hugo at its best.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #695 of 1,858
I just noticed HDtracks has Jazz at the Pawnshop available as a 24/354 file. This is an old audiophile classic with superb sonics, so I'll probably buy it to fully hear the Hugo at its best.
I've noticed that this recording is available in a lot of different formats. What would be the advantage of downloading this from HDtracks as opposed to buying the CD?

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #696 of 1,858
I've noticed that this recording is available in a lot of different formats. What would be the advantage of downloading this from HDtracks as opposed to buying the CD?

Hi bp,

Theoretically, a 24/352 or 24/384 recording will provide the highest resolution currently available (I'm sure those who love DSD may argue with this). I've owned both the vinyl version and CD version, vinyl being the better of the two to my ears. Since the Hugo can read 24/352, I'm interested in how much better this recording can sound, if indeed any improvements are readily noticeable.

If you're not familiar with this recording, even on CD the quality of the recording is quite apparent. And the music is good too. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #697 of 1,858
I forgot there are now 32/352 recordings too. I'm not sure for anybody other than a recording engineer whether 32 bit depth is needed. Others here will know much more about this than me ...

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #698 of 1,858
Hi bp,

Theoretically, a 24/352 or 24/384 recording will provide the highest resolution currently available (I'm sure those who love DSD may argue with this). I've owned both the vinyl version and CD version, vinyl being the better of the two to my ears. Since the Hugo can read 24/352, I'm interested in how much better this recording can sound, if indeed any improvements are readily noticeable.

If you're not familiar with this recording, even on CD the quality of the recording is quite apparent. And the music is good too. :wink_face:
Thanks. Oh, and by the way the music is really really good.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #699 of 1,858
Chord has put time into the selection of cables they supply with the hugo.
They all work fine at all rated inputs for the hugo. I also feel there is no improvement in high end optic cables otjer than pride of iwnership
First I would make sure the optical cable is frimly inserted into the hugo. It's really hard to push it in until you hear a click and feel it jas well. It can hang by the cable veery securely. Lastly what source are you using. Itight be the source not being good enough to lick on. Not all sources output DSD or hibrez
Al

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #700 of 1,858

Hi bp,

If you're not familiar with this recording, even on CD the quality of the recording is quite apparent. And the music is good too. 
wink_face.gif

my music on my ZX1 Walkman is: sample-rate 44.1kHz - bit-rate 352kbps all uploaded from CD into Atrac Advanced lossless (Sony)... I can't hear any difference between that and WAV... Mr Hugo likes it.
regular_smile .gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #701 of 1,858

my music on my ZX1 Walkman is: sample-rate 44.1kHz - bit-rate 352kbps all uploaded from CD into Atrac Advanced lossless (Sony)... I can't hear any difference between that and WAV... Mr Hugo likes it.
regular_smile%20.gif

Any lossless codec will be equivalent to WAV...

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #702 of 1,858
Chord has put time into the selection of cables they supply with the hugo.
They all work fine at all rated inputs for the hugo. I also feel there is no improvement in high end optic cables otjer than pride of iwnership
First I would make sure the optical cable is frimly inserted into the hugo. It's really hard to push it in until you hear a click and feel it jas well. It can hang by the cable veery securely. Lastly what source are you using. Itight be the source not being good enough to lick on. Not all sources output DSD or hibrez
Al

I have the multi fiber optical cable from Sysconcept and have been using it for some time and prefer it to others. I compared it for some time against Sysconcept and other single fiber cables over and over and can hear a difference. The multi fiber better conducts the signal as there are less reflections with the cable due to the size of the optical sections. This has also been shown in tests showing a better end result of the signal from the starting end of the cable to the output. So we have different end results but for me, I do hear a difference and it isn't pride of ownership, it is results. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #703 of 1,858
i am asking for suggestions please. love my hugo. use it primarily in my home setup. i have also signed up with the new streaming service from Tidal. not too bad! my questions are:

1. what suggestions do you all have in regards to the best way to attach an Apple iDevice to the Hugo by way of a cable for listening to 16/44.1k music?

2. i believe that the Hugo supports 16/44.1k via Bluetooth aptX correct? if so, what portable bluetooth/ aptX digital player would anyone suggest?

3. would there be any loss or degragation of sound using a bluetooth/ aptX dongle with my iPhone/ iPad?

thanks!

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #705 of 1,858
Personally I'm using Hugo with the Galaxy Note 4 (SnapDragon) via Bluetooth, and all is good, some intermittent breaks of signal, but that is to be expected, is just that I'm too short on pocket space to use USB OTG...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back