Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 6, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #6,721 of 6,740
Thanks! I saw that video too. Understand from the reviewer that Cutest with m-scaler is better than chord tt2. Therefore, I would like to check on this forum who have the experience.
Yes if you don’t want to buy both at one’s, get the mscaler first.

My advice if you don’t want to buy it, don’t go listen to the combi tt2+mscaler, it is so insane good. I tried the mscaler with the tt2 and compared it the qutest combi, but after 2 months… I gave up and bought both at the same time en traded in the qutest

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #6,722 of 6,740
I had the qutest, I borrowed a tt2+mscaler, and tested al combinations.

Tt2 alone sounds better than the qutest. Add the mscaler and the tt2 gets to a whole another level.

Qutest with mscaler sounds better but still was not exactly what I wished for. It came in tt2 territory, but not on all parts. So, the tt2 alone is not the reason, the combination tt2+mscaler blows away the qutest+mscaler. The passion of sound review is een good starting point.

In the end I bought the tt2+ms and traded in my qutest. But that quite hurt my wallet then 😂. But love the combi.

What I think about the qutest amazing dac, but even with a mscaler, you miss that smoothnes the tt2 has.

But if you can’t have both at the same time, start with the mscaler to your qutest, and when the time is there, exchange the qutest for a tt2. I haven’t heared dacs double the price that sounds like that.
Thanks! Bro. Really appreciate your sharing. I read that many people wrote about Chord tt2 is better than Cutest with M-scaler but there is one reviewer said that Cutest with M-scaler is better than Chord tt2 (the video above shared by cats4can ) Therefore, I would like to double confirm. If Chord tt2 is better than Cutest with M-scaler then I will consider getting the Chord tt2 but I don't need the headphone amplifier feature.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #6,723 of 6,740
Yes if you don’t want to buy both at one’s, get the mscaler first.

My advice if you don’t want to buy it, don’t go listen to the combi tt2+mscaler, it is so insane good. I tried the mscaler with the tt2 and compared it the qutest combi, but after 2 months… I gave up and bought both at the same time en traded in the qutest
Thanks! Bro. I am afraid to test the combi of tt2 and mscaler too. Ha... !

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #6,724 of 6,740
I wonder if anyone has upgrade from Chord Cutest? I am thinking of getting either Chord M scaler or Chord tt2. I like my Chord Cutest but hope to add Chord M scaler to improve on Cutest but wonder which is more worth to add. Chord tt2 or Chord m scaler. Anyone has experience on this?
If youre a headphone listener.. the TT2 is the best way as you could trade in Qutest and maybe also a headphone amp and cables.

TT2's amp is amazing and simplifies your chain which gives best SQ. TT2 can even drive 8ohm or higher speakers direct.

Mscaler can still be added after

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #6,727 of 6,740
Currently, I use MF m5si as preamplifier and Nilai500DIY mono to drive speakers.

Previously I have Matrix X-Sabre dac but I damage it by pulling out the i2s cable. So I left Chord Cutest. I like the Matrix dac which is almost like Cutest but the vocal is better on Matrix. Using i2s on Matrix, the sound is more holographic, spacious and detail sound but too bad that I have damage it.

Now, I want to see if there is any way to upgrade the sound from Cutest. Considering to add Mscaler on Cutest, Chord tt2 or other dac.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #6,728 of 6,740
How does it drive the speakers?
Some use special made RCA to speaker cables or adapters (9watt @8ohm per ch) Or for double power XLR (18watt@8ohm per ch)

Search the TT2 thread about it. If you dont need cinema soundlevels ..not using an external amp and driving direct from TT2 is stunningly good. Rob uses a TT2 this way too.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #6,730 of 6,740
Thanks! Bro. Really appreciate your sharing. I read that many people wrote about Chord tt2 is better than Cutest with M-scaler but there is one reviewer said that Cutest with M-scaler is better than Chord tt2 (the video above shared by cats4can ) Therefore, I would like to double confirm. If Chord tt2 is better than Cutest with M-scaler then I will consider getting the Chord tt2 but I don't need the headphone amplifier feature.
The qutest +mscaler has some features, a taste of the ‘Dave’ signature, is more bright. Some love it (the dave, some don’t.

The tt2+mscaler, has all the details and very very close to the Dave, but adds just that tad of smoothness (just a little). That makes it for me the nicest solutions (but can understand why some choose the dave)

For me the headphone amp is a very welcome feature, but I 90% use the tt2 dac feature, for my burson soloist gt, or my full hifi set. But use the headphone amp a lot too, it is very good!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #6,731 of 6,740
The qutest +mscaler has some features, a taste of the ‘Dave’ signature, is more bright. Some love it (the dave, some don’t.

The tt2+mscaler, has all the details and very very close to the Dave, but adds just that tad of smoothness (just a little). That makes it for me the nicest solutions (but can understand why some choose the dave)

For me the headphone amp is a very welcome feature, but I 90% use the tt2 dac feature, for my burson soloist gt, or my full hifi set. But use the headphone amp a lot too, it is very good!
Thanks! Bro. I remember that reviewer said that Cutest with mscaler will sound less bright as it has been upsampling through millions taps seems sound logical.

Cutest is already slight bright for me so I don't want more brighter sound. Sounds like tt2 will be good for me.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #6,732 of 6,740
Thanks! Bro. I remember that reviewer said that Cutest with mscaler will sound less bright as it has been upsampling through millions taps seems sound logical.

Cutest is already slight bright for me so I don't want more brighter sound. Sounds like tt2 will be good for me.
Qutest was bright for me until I did several things: replaced the stock SMPS with a Sbooster LPS, this helps a lot; leave it powered up at all times; let it burn in 500 to 1000 hours of listening time; use good cables not the stock cables; add the MScaler. And if you don't need the 3v input setting, don't use it, adjust it down to 2v or even 1v. The 3v setting can make some amps sound a little "hot" (bright). Try it.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #6,733 of 6,740
Qutest was bright for me until I did several things: replaced the stock SMPS with a Sbooster LPS, this helps a lot; leave it powered up at all times; let it burn in 500 to 1000 hours of listening time; use good cables not the stock cables; add the MScaler. And if you don't need the 3v input setting, don't use it, adjust it down to 2v or even 1v. The 3v setting can make some amps sound a little "hot" (bright). Try it.
Thanks! Bro. I am using Keces P8 on Chord Cutest.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #6,734 of 6,740
I agree, that helps. But that was even not enough for me (I did all those things). In the end for me personally it was a waste of money. After half a year owning the qutest I had enough, and started looking elsewhere. I could have bought a mscaler for it, but just hate the looks together 😂 (I tried though, it helps somewhat)

It was not even that obvious with headphones, but more so on my hifi set.

So it became the tt2+mscaler, never looked back😁. Now burned in amazing, but loved this combi since day one.

But the qutest is a very good dac, but apparently not for me. But some well meant advice, don’t go listen to the tt2+mscaler. I borrowed it for three days… well you see the result😂, I bought it in the end (so safe yourself🤣)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #6,735 of 6,740
@jjazzy That's very good to know! I've always thought that I'd be buying a lot of features that I would never use like the headphone amp and preamp capability of the tt2. I'm assuming that you don't find it to sound "thin" compared to the Qutest/MScaler combo? I read a comment on a different forum that someone felt that way. But I'd guess that the tt2 was not burned in. Chord equipment is fantstic but needs a good burn-in to hit it's sweet spot. For the first 50 hours of listening on my Qutest I wondered if I'd made a big mistake. Then it got better - sweeter/smoother and more fleshed-out/meatier and much better bass and kept improving with additional burn-in. My MScaler needed some burn-in but was definitely better initially compared to the Qutest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back