Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #6,706 of 6,740
Not sure if this is a used Qutest or a new one, but if it's still under warranty, I'd probably send it in now- solder joints don't fix themselves. That said, if it's out of warranty and it's working now... well, then enjoy it until it becomes a more serious issue.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #6,708 of 6,740
One thing I find curious, although it doesn't change my opinion of it.... I know qutest doesn't do mqa, and unfortunately there seem to still be plenty of "mqa only" tracks on Tidal.

Anyway when I play mqa file, the sample rate light is yellow which is 88.7 khz. Why would it show that? What does actually happen when Qutest plays mqa file? Because it still sounds great.

Thanks.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #6,709 of 6,740
One thing I find curious, although it doesn't change my opinion of it.... I know qutest doesn't do mqa, and unfortunately there seem to still be plenty of "mqa only" tracks on Tidal.

Anyway when I play mqa file, the sample rate light is yellow which is 88.7 khz. Why would it show that? What does actually happen when Qutest plays mqa file? Because it still sounds great.

Thanks.
Your software is doing the MQA core decode? That would result in 24bit/88.2kHz as I understand it.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #6,710 of 6,740
yes software is doing the decode although I have option to turn that off.

One other question. I see in one place on Chord website that Qutest optical input goes up to only 96 khz. In another place it said 192 khz. I finally had a chance to test it. Playing a 192 khz file resulted in the sample light being blue. So that means qutest accepts full 192 khz via optical, right?

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #6,712 of 6,740
yes software is doing the decode although I have option to turn that off.

One other question. I see in one place on Chord website that Qutest optical input goes up to only 96 khz. In another place it said 192 khz. I finally had a chance to test it. Playing a 192 khz file resulted in the sample light being blue. So that means qutest accepts full 192 khz via optical, right?
I’ve also regularly done 24/192 over optical with the Qutest. The early polymer cables weren’t always up to the task so you see a lot of misinformation. I’ve also used DACs that are hardware limited to 96k. The initial spec was just 48k, so we’re far ahead of where they were.

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #6,713 of 6,740
I am looking into a good dedicated streamer to hook up to Qutest. My only condition is that it has to be able to do Tidal Connect, so Chord streamers would not be suitable. Right now I hooked up Wiim Pro via coaxial/bnc. I don't think I heard any difference in sound quality between Ipad Mini and Wiim Pro, but Wiim Pro is a lot more convenient. I know there are a lot of arguments on whether streamer makes a difference in sound quality. Experience has taught me to find that out for myself. The thing is that most streamers that are likely to make a difference are crazy expensive. So the one I am thinking of is a used Lumin U1 mini, because U2 Mini is $2400. Does anyone have any recommendations for streamer digital transports that are good but retail at lower prices, say $800 to $1500?

Reading a lot of reviews on streamers, I find that most reviews tend to focus on the streamers internal DAC. So I figured I would ask here.

Thanks
Stan

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #6,714 of 6,740
@stanrozenfeld You can go a long way with a Bluesound Node X. That's the latest version. I haven't heard it but I used a Node 2i for several years into a Qutest. The Node 2i was responsive to cable improvements. I upgraded the power cable to a Nordost C-7 purple flare and the coax bnc-rca cable to a AQ Carbon and later a Nordost Silver Shadow. I also upgraded the power board with a PD Creative board so I could add a Sbooster LPS instead of the AC mains Nordost purple flare cable. Each of these improved the sound and the total, yes TOTAL cost, is within your budget but you can start much lower because the Node X is about $600. The Bluesound OS is excellent, one of the best. This is what showed me that dedicated streamers DO make an improvement in sound quality. And an even larger improvement in ease of use and music discovery.

I was using a Mac Mini with Amarra SQ but it wasn't hardware/software optimized other than Amarra.

I've since moved on to an Aurender N150 and very recently an Aurender N200. Each has brought improvements. I don't change components frequently but in this case I was astonished by the improvements brought by better streamers so I kept wanting more.

All of the improvements do require some burn-in for best sound, especially cables, so be patient and have fun!

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #6,715 of 6,740
Does anyone have any recommendations for streamer digital transports that are good but retail at lower prices, say $800 to $1500?
My direct experience falls just outside your range. My layout lends itself to a WiFi connection so I jumped from a Bluesound Node2i to an Auralic Aries G1.1. At first I attributed the apparent improvement to be from switching the input from coax to USB on the Qutest, But the Aries to the Qutest sounded better over S/PDIF as well. Lately I’ve left it on USB and am resampling everything to 32/384.

There are a lot of great streamers out there. I’d suggest trying to see examples of their OS. Usability is a big deal. I guess by focusing on Tidal Connect you take that variable out of the equation. I also have a ripped library so it’s still a factor for me.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #6,716 of 6,740
I wonder if anyone has upgrade from Chord Cutest? I am thinking of getting either Chord M scaler or Chord tt2. I like my Chord Cutest but hope to add Chord M scaler to improve on Cutest but wonder which is more worth to add. Chord tt2 or Chord m scaler. Anyone has experience on this?

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #6,717 of 6,740
I am looking into a good dedicated streamer to hook up to Qutest. My only condition is that it has to be able to do Tidal Connect, so Chord streamers would not be suitable. Right now I hooked up Wiim Pro via coaxial/bnc. I don't think I heard any difference in sound quality between Ipad Mini and Wiim Pro, but Wiim Pro is a lot more convenient. I know there are a lot of arguments on whether streamer makes a difference in sound quality. Experience has taught me to find that out for myself. The thing is that most streamers that are likely to make a difference are crazy expensive. So the one I am thinking of is a used Lumin U1 mini, because U2 Mini is $2400. Does anyone have any recommendations for streamer digital transports that are good but retail at lower prices, say $800 to $1500?

Reading a lot of reviews on streamers, I find that most reviews tend to focus on the streamers internal DAC. So I figured I would ask here.

Thanks
Stan
I compared the u2 (not the mini) to the eversolo a8. (The a6’s are quite less as a transport) the lumin sounded similar, but way more expensive and a annoying app. Eversolo supports al streaming services.

If you have a little chat ar a few shops you always get some discount. I payed 1600 for my eversolo a8. Sounds amazing on my chord tt2+MS

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #6,718 of 6,740
I wonder if anyone has upgrade from Chord Cutest? I am thinking of getting either Chord M scaler or Chord tt2. I like my Chord Cutest but hope to add Chord M scaler to improve on Cutest but wonder which is more worth to add. Chord tt2 or Chord m scaler. Anyone has experience on this?
There were some videos on exactly that subject a few years ago. I think this is the first of the series.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #6,719 of 6,740
I had the qutest, I borrowed a tt2+mscaler, and tested al combinations.

Tt2 alone sounds better than the qutest. Add the mscaler and the tt2 gets to a whole another level.

Qutest with mscaler sounds better but still was not exactly what I wished for. It came in tt2 territory, but not on all parts. So, the tt2 alone is not the reason, the combination tt2+mscaler blows away the qutest+mscaler. The passion of sound review is een good starting point.

In the end I bought the tt2+ms and traded in my qutest. But that quite hurt my wallet then 😂. But love the combi.

What I think about the qutest amazing dac, but even with a mscaler, you miss that smoothnes the tt2 has.

But if you can’t have both at the same time, start with the mscaler to your qutest, and when the time is there, exchange the qutest for a tt2. I haven’t heared dacs double the price that sounds like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back