Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #6,676 of 6,742
Thank you for your reply! Seems like the general consensus is that a linear supply would probably provide improvement. What's intriguing for me though is how Anni as a power source compares to the other power options. But apparently there aren't too many people that pair their Qutest with Anni.
In the meantime I will try to use my cognitive bias to convince myself that what I have right now provides optimal sound quality for my tastes. Ha-ha, right?!
I have no experience with the Anni. I think the main thing is the Qutest has a refined tone with a touch of sweetness. Would highly recommend HQPlayer for upsampling with Roon for its UI.

So many people look for resolution without understanding that tone is what makes a dac. I'd rather have an old accuphase dac like a DC-801 than many of the current offerings. Also more expensive doesn't mean better, the cat's reaction is priceless.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #6,677 of 6,742
... What's intriguing for me though is how Anni as a power source compares to the other power options. But apparently there aren't too many people that pair their Qutest with Anni...
When I added an Anni to my Qutest I tried running them on separate, albeit Chord, power supplies. Tried a few quality, but not audiophile, USB wall warts and finally the power take off from the Anni. I could not detect a difference. Today, motivated by the recent posts, I tried a portable power pack. Nothing fancy but it does somewhat isolate the Qutest from the mains. No audible difference. Even tried a few different power cables. The short Chord cord is heavier and better shielded than my others but still no audible difference. Chain was Naim Unity Core Server, Mac M2 Studio, Audirvana Origin, 24X96 files, Silver Dragon cables to Stellia. This chain is usually very revealing. Strangely, my go to suppliers (that have been eager to help me drain my wallet) have never suggested power related upgrades! Not to suggest they would turn me away if I wanted a high end power source but, absent even a suspicion of an issue needing a solution, they do not suggest it. If it ain't broke... None of my gear gives any hint of power related problems so I believe I have good, reliable, clean power. If you have good mains any investment may come down to the value you place on potential placebo effect.

Qutest Energizer.jpg

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #6,679 of 6,742
New Qutest owner here - my first proper desktop DAC after using my Mojo 2 for years. Running via USB to Macbook from a Burson Soloist GT. Feelings are somewhat mixed so far. My Radiance, HD 650 and Nightowl all sound next-level incredible through it. My Utopia 2022 and VC on the other hand...I can't quite wrap my head around it yet but something feels off. I think due to the pairing with the GT which leans perhaps slightly neutral-bright it's throwing the tonality that I'm used to with the Nutopia and VC sightly off. I guess the Mojo 2 may have smoothed over their more metallic qualities before. There's an ever-so-slight glassy/glary quality in the upper mids, and the sound feels slightly drained of emotion. The sound registers more as a cerebral experience - on a technical level the sound is brilliant for sure, but something isn't quite hitting. This could just be a burn-in issue so I'll persevere - also I'm heading travelling tomorrow and hoping I'll return after some much needed rest with a different perspective, as I really do love how the Qutest sounds with some of my cans.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #6,680 of 6,742
New Qutest owner here - my first proper desktop DAC after using my Mojo 2 for years. Running via USB to Macbook from a Burson Soloist GT. Feelings are somewhat mixed so far. My Radiance, HD 650 and Nightowl all sound next-level incredible through it. My Utopia 2022 and VC on the other hand...I can't get wrap my head around it yet but something feels off. I think due to the pairing with the GT which leans perhaps slightly neutral-bright it's throwing the tonality that I'm used to with the Nutopia and VC sightly off. I guess the Mojo 2 may have smoothed over their more metallic qualities before. There's an ever-so-slight glassy/glary quality in the upper mids, and the sound feels slightly drained of emotion. The sound registers more as a cerebral experience - on a technical level the sound is brilliant for sure, but something isn't quite hitting. This could just be a burn-in issue so I'll persevere - heading away tomorrow and hoping I'll return after some much needed rest with a different perspective, as I really do love how the Qutest sounds with some of my cans.
Don't forget to mess with the filters. I used to run the incisive filters (white, green) but switched to the warm. I started hearing that sheen at the top of the highs, but only in comparison to R2R DACs. I had never picked it out before. Since I usually listen to hi-res and I set my streamer to upsample, I leave it on warm, HF roll-off (red). Haven't given it much thought since.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #6,681 of 6,742
Don't forget to mess with the filters. I used to run the incisive filters (white, green) but switched to the warm. I started hearing that sheen at the top of the highs, but only in comparison to R2R DACs. I had never picked it out before. Since I usually listen to hi-res and I set my streamer to upsample, I leave it on warm, HF roll-off (red). Haven't given it much thought since.
Yeah that may well be the way forward - thanks. I was leaning towards sticking to incisive to experience the biggest delta vs Mojo 2 in terms of details but giving red a go with the Utopia 2022 now and it's pretty cool. Also just found the below post from earlier itt which is interesting...

Sure I can explain, but it's not simple - I will try my best to explain.

The white/green filter has a WTA 16FS to 256FS filter, which replaces the analogue type digital filter (it's a third order IIR type filter) that is used with orange/red.

To perfectly reconstruct the analogue signal that was in the ADC before it was sampled you need a sinc function filter. But a sinc function filter has values that take an infinite amount of time to decay to zero; fortunately the values of the sinc function halves every time you double the time period (that is double the number of samples that the filter processes by doubling the tap length); that means for a given oversampling rate (16FS say) if you double the tap length, then the values of the sinc function halves. Eventually we get to the point where the values are so small it will no longer make any difference to SQ. Hence with the M scaler, I have sinc function values that are smaller than 16 bits, which means that we can guarantee reconstruction at 16FS to better than 16 bits, as it is accurate to sinc to better than 16 bits, and it's this aspect that gives the M scaler it's transformational sound quality improvement.

But there is another aspect about a sinc function; it is infinitely oversampled, so you need finer and finer time resolution. In this case, as you double the oversampling rate using a sinc function filter, you reduce the area of the error by four; so a 16FS filter will reduce the area of the peak transient error by 256 times. With 16FS we have an output every 1.6 uS; and with 256FS the output is every 88 nS. Now when I designed the WTA 2 filter, which takes us from 16FS to 256FS I did not expect any real change in SQ, as the ear/brain resolves 4uS of timing differences. But when I heard the filter, I was surprised at how much a difference it made to the perception of starting and stopping of notes; you can perceive transients much more easily - so I thought it would be cool for people to hear the effect of the filter, which is why I put the option in.

But getting back to your question - technically the white filter (256FS WTA filter engaged) is better able at reconstructing transients more accurately, as running at 256FS means the residual peak error is reduced by another 256 times to 65,536 times; when we increase the accuracy of transients, then it becomes easier to perceive transients; when it's easy for the brain to perceive transients things sound faster, brighter and sharper. So if you are preferring the sound of orange over white than it means that you are doing the equivalent of soft focus for images; this suggests that your system is fundamentally too bright and edgy - either your transducers or the amp driving it is too bright. You may get better results by sticking with white but to use DSP EQ from the source.... but the downside to using source DSP will be a loss in transparency, as it's no longer bit perfect data, and EQ at 44.1 kHz will require re-dithering back to 24 bits, and that degrades transparency. But in the long term ideally you need to get the bright component that's in your system replaced. If you are using loudspeakers, consider repositioning them, so you optimise your system around white or green filters.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #6,682 of 6,742
New Qutest owner here - my first proper desktop DAC after using my Mojo 2 for years. Running via USB to Macbook from a Burson Soloist GT. Feelings are somewhat mixed so far. My Radiance, HD 650 and Nightowl all sound next-level incredible through it. My Utopia 2022 and VC on the other hand...I can't quite wrap my head around it yet but something feels off. I think due to the pairing with the GT which leans perhaps slightly neutral-bright it's throwing the tonality that I'm used to with the Nutopia and VC sightly off. I guess the Mojo 2 may have smoothed over their more metallic qualities before. There's an ever-so-slight glassy/glary quality in the upper mids, and the sound feels slightly drained of emotion. The sound registers more as a cerebral experience - on a technical level the sound is brilliant for sure, but something isn't quite hitting. This could just be a burn-in issue so I'll persevere - also I'm heading travelling tomorrow and hoping I'll return after some much needed rest with a different perspective, as I really do love how the Qutest sounds with some of my cans.

I was was in the same boat with the VC/GT/Qutest combo. I solved it with extensive op-amp rolling and the Auteur pads. Probably took $700 to get to the sound signature I wanted. But I did.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #6,684 of 6,742
I’ve had my Qutest for almost 4 years now. I’ve compared to a few R2R units of around the same price point, but I always come back. Of course in true audio idiot fashion I’ve been looking for what I should upgrade to for almost as long as I’ve had it. TT2 is the obvious choice, but I still want to try other types of DAC. They each have their advocates. It would be easier if there were a specific fault I could point out that I want to fix. The only thing that ever comes to mind is remote control volume and source switching. (Maybe I should train my cat to press the input selector.) The absence of volume control is felt more deeply now that I seem to have developed a headphone amp addiction. It’s fine running my Qutest to my 2 channel pre, but I have also connected several HPAs to my main system. I listen with a 15’ cable in the same chair I enjoy my speakers from. So I keep looking at more expensive (because that makes them better, right?) DACs with volume control. It makes much more sense to get a passive with remote volume to accomplish the same goal. Maybe someday another DAC will tempt me. I just can’t believe it took me so long to figure this out. At least I got there in the end. I’m a little slow sometimes.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #6,686 of 6,742
I apologize if I missed this discussion but my question is: which filter is considered the standard?
Entirely personal preference and perhaps more a function of system chain integration (and again personal preference).

I tend to bounce between "white" and "green" when I using my WA22 tube amp. "Red" when connected to my Burson 3xGT.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #6,687 of 6,742
I’ve had my Qutest for almost 4 years now. I’ve compared to a few R2R units of around the same price point, but I always come back. Of course in true audio idiot fashion I’ve been looking for what I should upgrade to for almost as long as I’ve had it. TT2 is the obvious choice, but I still want to try other types of DAC. They each have their advocates. It would be easier if there were a specific fault I could point out that I want to fix. The only thing that ever comes to mind is remote control volume and source switching. (Maybe I should train my cat to press the input selector.) The absence of volume control is felt more deeply now that I seem to have developed a headphone amp addiction. It’s fine running my Qutest to my 2 channel pre, but I have also connected several HPAs to my main system. I listen with a 15’ cable in the same chair I enjoy my speakers from. So I keep looking at more expensive (because that makes them better, right?) DACs with volume control. It makes much more sense to get a passive with remote volume to accomplish the same goal. Maybe someday another DAC will tempt me. I just can’t believe it took me so long to figure this out. At least I got there in the end. I’m a little slow sometimes.
I started with the qutest loved the little device, after a year ended up with the tt2+mscaler… my own foolish fault😂 after three days of borrowing I could not going back anymore. Had the money so burned it and bought them. I still hate the prices… but no dac gives me the smooth sound without loosing details… for it’s money the qutest is AMAZING, still have to hear anything better for the money. But no match against tt2+mscaler (which is fair)

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #6,689 of 6,742
I apologize if I missed this discussion but my question is: which filter is considered the standard?

I would say White is standard with Green a variation with very slow roll off at top, suited for High res files (or possibly it was DSD) , but works for all files.

I use Green just to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #6,690 of 6,742
I use green all of the time, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back