Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 30, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #6,331 of 6,746
I've had the Qutest for going on 5-years I think. I long ago added the Sbooster power supply. Here's the thing... I really love the sound but come on, 5-years with one DAC is crazy long. At least once a year I get the itch to move on, but when I look for comparisons for every new DAC I'm considering the Qutest is mentioned as perhaps better sounding.
I don't think there will be a Qutest 2, especially after they raised the price to over $2k. For a while I was sure the next step up would be the TT2. But now I'm thinking something totally different. But I don't want to take a step backwards. I'm leaning toward Holo Spring 3 or Denefrips Pontus II 12th Anniversary. I've ruled out adding a Mscaller.

I've been a hard core Qobuz streamer (with SoTM SMS200 Ultra streamer) until recently, I got an Audiolab 6000CDT transport and have really been enjoying my CD collection that once consisted of a dozen boxes in my attic. I have rarely streamed anything in the past two months I'm so smitten with how great my CDs sound through a CD Transport and the Qutest. If you haven't tried it... you really need to give it a try.

I'm retired and have developed my system over decades of trial and, some times, error. So, right now the Chord is the one item in my system that I've had the longest (except my EAR 834P Deluxe Phono Stage) and that's the main source of my thinking about replacing it. I realize this is the Qutest thread, and folks posting here are fans, but I'd appreciate other opinions. Being retired I buy used and my budget is $3k.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #6,332 of 6,746
I'm leaning toward Holo Spring 3 or Denefrips Pontus II 12th Anniversary. I've ruled out adding a Mscaller.
If you have liked the Qutest sound signature enough to use it for 5 years, I doubt you will be perfectly happy with the very different sound signature of Denafrips and most R2R stuff out there in these price ranges.
I have a Gustard X26Pro, but I'm not sure it's definitely "better" than Qutest, meaning my taste/preference can flip with with a couple of cable/power cable, footer changes.
I guess try to buy a few DAC's used and try them out..

May 30, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #6,333 of 6,746
Been using the Qutest for the last few months and really like it with my Feliks Audio tube amps (Elise mkii-currently for sale & my Euforia Anniversary Ed). I keep watching reviews of the TT2 and debating if it would be worth the expenditure for a used one over my Qutest. Seems some reviews say it is a pretty big upgrade but that is all relative based on the listener, gear, and size of wallet. One review thought the Qutest was 90% as good and was having a hard time rationalizing the price.

Anyone on here tried both and have an opinion if the TT2 is signifiant enough or better to just be satisfied?

Thanks!

May 30, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #6,334 of 6,746
A Qutest w/ a synergistic power supply like Sbooster or IFI Elite probably is fairly close in performance vs a TT2 in pure DAC function so I suspect not so much an upgrade. I also have been using since the beginning so over 5 years and to me my best chance of a genuine upgrade w/o going over $5K is wait for Qutest 2.

May 30, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #6,335 of 6,746
A Qutest w/ a synergistic power supply like Sbooster or IFI Elite probably is fairly close in performance vs a TT2 in pure DAC function so I suspect not so much an upgrade. I also have been using since the beginning so over 5 years and to me my best chance of a genuine upgrade w/o going over $5K is wait for Qutest 2.
Is there chatter about a Qutest 2 or other products by Chord? Seems they have been quiet w no new products or revisions for quite some time.

May 31, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #6,337 of 6,746
Oddly nothing at all totally silent. 5 - 6 years is a long time for DAC product to go w/o update.
Maybe they’ve already designed a new one but just can’t figure out what to call it.

QuteHD 2012
2Qute 2015
Qutest 2018

What’s next? Qutissimo? Qutestest? Beyond Qute? It’s hard to build on that -est superlative suffix.

May 31, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #6,338 of 6,746
Anyone on here tried both and have an opinion if the TT2 is signifiant enough or better to just be satisfied?

Thanks!
If you keep the amp connected i think TT2 is only a marginal step up to Qutest.

But if you drive your headphones direct out of TT2 things improve quite a bit imo.
Mostly bc shorter simpler signal path.

Always try for yourself ofc

May 31, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #6,340 of 6,746
Maybe Chord will just keep raising the price on the Qutest until it's nearer the $3K price point and milk it until it's time to release "MostQute."

May 31, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #6,344 of 6,746
Maybe they don’t want it threatening Dave sales for those wanting a true high end DAC ?
Be simple after the Superscaler and cost no object Dave replacement to re engineer the “old” Dave DAC section into something like a Qutest 2 ?
If only for those of us who have Preamps and headphone amps that we don’t want to replace ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back