Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 26, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #6,271 of 6,775
There’s always been a strange misconception around precise and clear sound that it is too “digital” but when you listen to a high quality turntable playing records it’s not soft and smooth it’s fast (transients?) and vivid. So In my opinion the more “analog” sounding would be something like people describe the Chord sound to be. If you’re struggling with the sound of the Qutest being too thin and bright then in my opinion it’s a problem with your headphones or speakers. A lot of DACs I tried before the chord sound flat, soft and smooth, nothing like my records.
I for one am certainly not struggling with the lean sound because I sold it and am enjoying my Geek Pulse fi DAC. The Chord is certainly as smooth and analogue-sounding as the Geek, but very fatiguing to me because of the brightness.

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #6,273 of 6,775
The TT2 I found has more detail, but - and this is hard to articulate - music just seems more ‘cohesive’, with better flow/liquidity, subjectively, to me with Hugo 2. I found TT2 could be a little too dry sounding sometimes. Wonder if it’s somehow related to the difference between the battery powered H2 vs the SuperCap fuelled TT2. I owned five TT2s (at different times!) and unfortunately had QC issues with all of them, so that soured me somewhat on that model. I’m waiting for either Qutest 2 or TT3, or perhaps when Dave 2 eventually comes out the original might just about be affordable for me if I give up my turntable.
Thank you so much for that feedback my friend, it makes sense and I’m sure at some higher level point of resolution or clarity things might not sound as enjoyable if that makes any sense. I think the Hugo 2 is a Goldilocks zone of quality and practicality where the diminishing returns kick in going up the product line. Absolutely a valid argument about the same sentiment going from the Mojo or M2 but to me the step up was absolutely justified and appreciated. Pretty wild to hear you’ve gone through so many TT2s and had problems, especially at the price point. The AD I spoke with told me that the TT2 also has batteries in it, but it runs differently and of course doesn’t have the portability factor at all. I really do love the Hugo 2, especially coming from the mojo (which is fantastic in its own regard) and no longer feel any FOMO for the fact that I’m in my exchange window if I wanted to step up to the TT2. Appreciate you taking the time my friend!

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #6,274 of 6,775
There’s always been a strange misconception around precise and clear sound that it is too “digital” but when you listen to a high quality turntable playing records it’s not soft and smooth it’s fast (transients?) and vivid. So In my opinion the more “analog” sounding would be something like people describe the Chord sound to be. If you’re struggling with the sound of the Qutest being too thin and bright then in my opinion it’s a problem with your headphones or speakers. A lot of DACs I tried before the chord sound flat, soft and smooth, nothing like my records.
I completely agree with you.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #6,275 of 6,775
I for one am certainly not struggling with the lean sound because I sold it and am enjoying my Geek Pulse fi DAC. The Chord is certainly as smooth and analogue-sounding as the Geek, but very fatiguing to me because of the brightness.
Great, keep enjoying your DAC, I'll keep enjoying the Qutest 😂

Apr 2, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #6,276 of 6,775
Anyone compare the Qutest against Mojo 2 and feel the Mojo 2 is close enough to not bother with the Qutest ?

I have a Mojo 2 and can’t compare the two in my area due to lack of a dealer network. I would have to purchase a Qutest blind.

My system is in my Signature, I just got a GSX-Mini and I feel the balance is almost perfect with my Mojo 2 in desktop mode.

But we always seek a better upgraded don’t we….

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #6,277 of 6,775
Anyone compare the Qutest against Mojo 2 and feel the Mojo 2 is close enough to not bother with the Qutest ?

I have a Mojo 2 and can’t compare the two in my area due to lack of a dealer network. I would have to purchase a Qutest blind.

My system is in my Signature, I just got a GSX-Mini and I feel the balance is almost perfect with my Mojo 2 in desktop mode.

Interesting thought .. it might be 'close enough' ... I have both but I haven't done that test ... I guess I would need to find a Coax cable to test that

EDIT: Ah no, the coax on the MOJO2 is an input ... so, from the headphone output to an external amp ? ... somehow that tells me the SQ would be compromised

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #6,279 of 6,775
Thank you, I’ll have to save up and grab myself a QUTEST soon then.

I’m intrigued now as to how it will sound against my Mojo2.

My memory is not so reliable as to the sound signature, and it was with a different headphone anyway.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #6,280 of 6,775

I can give you my opinion on it. I have a Chord Qutest, with an Ifi Zen Stream for a source. I also have a Chord Mojo2, with poly 3.0 as a source. I had them both set to the same zone in Roon so they were playing the same thing in sync. Both plugged into my Auris Audio HA2-SF with HE-1000V2 (not stealth, original v2) switching back and forth between them in both RCA channels. (Volume matched by ear, as close as I could. This is in no way scientific, these are opinions based on my hearing your mileage may vary.) No EQ applied to either device in any way. (Or filters)

The Qutest has more detail but it's a lot closer than it was with the Mojo 1. The Qutest still has those sharp punchy transients that on the right system I like quite a bit. The mojo 2 is smoother. It's not lacking in punch, it's just not as tight. The Qutest does have better treble and bass extension (especially sub bass) but this is not saying the mojo 2 is weak in these areas, it's not. I find it to be quite close.

Where they differ most to my ear, and setup perhaps(?), is soundstage and imaging. The Qutest has wider soundstage, but it has a significantly deeper soundstage then the Mojo 2 does. The imaging is more precise when there is a lot going on. I will probably sound like a broken record at this point, but the Mojo 2 still does this really well. It's just the Qutest really excels here (to my ear). Take something like Snarky Puppy with a lot of instruments all playing at once, spread all around the soundstage. The imaging is sharper with the Qutest, and the layering/depth is much easier to hear. (You can clearly hear instruments behind other instruments.) It's easier for me to not only pick out individual instruments location more quickly on the Qutest, but the reverb around them is easier to hear even with all the other instruments being played at the same time.

They're both excellent. And to be honest either one I'd be happy having. But hearing them both like this (I had never considered testing this before, thought it would be interesting to try) confirms what I had suspected. To my ear the Qutest is definitely better. While it's in the same ballpark in detail and tonality, the Qutest really pulls ahead in my setup on image clarity (or what some refer to as "space around the instruments" is much better with the Qutest), soundstage, and dynamics. The transients are sharper. I find myself tapping my foot more when I listen to the Qutest.

Once again, everything expressed above is my opinion, on my system, with my ears. I also tested with other headphones for a limited time just for reference (Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-24, Sundaras, and who doesn't have a pair of hd650s lying around somewhere) and found the results, or perhaps more accurately the differences, to be the same across the board. I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but if nothing else it's another perspective to consider.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #6,281 of 6,775
The Qutest has more detail but it's a lot closer than it was with the Mojo 1.
It mostly comes down to Qutest 10 element pulse array vs Mojo2's 4 element. This gives better small signal accuracy and thus depth perception is easier.

Mojo1 had an extra component in its analog circuit giving a bit rolled off treble.. it was my reason to sell it for Qutest in the past. M2 wasnt out yet.. but i might get one for the go..

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #6,282 of 6,775
Thank you, I’ll have to save up and grab myself a QUTEST soon then.

I’m intrigued now as to how it will sound against my Mojo2.

My memory is not so reliable as to the sound signature, and it was with a different headphone anyway.
Please let us know your thoughts when you get your Qutest. Most people seem to love it. I personally hated it and sold mine (for me it was subjectively bright and "thin" sounding, and fatiguing, but I know that doesn't reflect most opinions). You may also like to get a secondhand one, as I did—there are loads on eBay, significantly cheaper than new.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #6,284 of 6,775
I just got a Qutest and so far really liking the sound but the lights are killing me. I useit in a bedroom set up and I get a colored light show on my ceiling since you can’t power down or disable the lights. I think I have it in the lowest setting.

Anyone know if I unplug it daily when I go to bed If that is bad for the unit? Anyone else have a similar annoyance and found a reasonable solution? I’ll admit I’m pretty frustrated with this aspect of it. Hate to consider getting rid of it just because of a light.

Thanks everyone.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #6,285 of 6,775
I just got a Qutest and so far really liking the sound but the lights are killing me. I useit in a bedroom set up and I get a colored light show on my ceiling since you can’t power down or disable the lights. I think I have it in the lowest setting.

Anyone know if I unplug it daily when I go to bed If that is bad for the unit? Anyone else have a similar annoyance and found a reasonable solution? I’ll admit I’m pretty frustrated with this aspect of it. Hate to consider getting rid of it just because of a light.

Thanks everyone.
I would say , don't worry ,unplug it during your sleeping hours. I have both Qutest and Mscaler and have noticed no problems turning both off over night for years.
With horrendous electricity costs in many countries these days, leaving any electronics on at night when not in use seems like not exactly the "brightest" thing to do to either.
Pun intended.
I even suspect the lack of on/off switch on both was a "penny pinching" choice just as the micro usb power connection on Qutest.
Those annoying Disco Lights projected onto my white ceiling at night have even made me use an Airline eye-pillow for my last late night headphones listening hour.
I solved the problem with both lacking on/off switches by having them both on the same power list with an on/off switch.
In their defence I have to say that together Qutest and Mscaler make quite a strong team. But only as a team. Qutest on is own is not good enough for me except possibly with the latest version of PGGB or other pre-upsampled 24/32 bits/705/768khz involved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back