Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #5,476 of 6,740
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #5,480 of 6,740
I noticed if I start playing a song when my amp is off/muted, the Qutest starts making something like static noise. I don't mean noise coming from headphones, I mean very audible, static-like noise coming from the Qutest itself.

It stops when I turn on the amp. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #5,482 of 6,740
Does everyone just leave their Qutest on all the time?
Yes, I leave mine on 24/7. In fact in the same system I also leave on 24/7 the Musical Fidelity amp and Innuos streamer.

in a different system I leave on 24/7 my Dave and MScaler together with the Antipodes K50. The power amps get turned off because they are big class A monoblocs and use significant electricity.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #5,484 of 6,740
I noticed if I start playing a song when my amp is off/muted, the Qutest starts making something like static noise. I don't mean noise coming from headphones, I mean very audible, static-like noise coming from the Qutest itself.

It stops when I turn on the amp. Is this normal?

This is really strange, I just figured out that it's actually the song playing from the Qutest as if the Qutest itself has small speakers! The sound is very distorted.

@Rob Watts is this expected?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #5,485 of 6,740
This is really strange, I just figured out that it's actually the song playing from the Qutest as if the Qutest itself has small speakers! The sound is very distorted.

@Rob Watts is this expected?
Hahaha, this is too funny. I've never heard anything out of the Qutest, it's always been silent. I wonder where this sound is coming from? Are you absolutely sure it's the Qutest? Can you make a quick video or something to share?

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #5,486 of 6,740
Hahaha, this is too funny. I've never heard anything out of the Qutest, it's always been silent. I wonder where this sound is coming from? Are you absolutely sure it's the Qutest? Can you make a quick video or something to share?

Here's a short video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap6PjUw7458BlfZg0oSfuaFKVIy13g?e=jIivTM

So this doesn't happen to you when your amp is turned off or muted and you start playing a song?

I'm using Roon with a Raspberry Pi. I also tried connecting the Qutest directly to my Macbook and same thing happens. I'm puzzled.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #5,487 of 6,740
Here's a short video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap6PjUw7458BlfZg0oSfuaFKVIy13g?e=jIivTM

So this doesn't happen to you when your amp is turned off or muted and you start playing a song?

I'm using Roon with a Raspberry Pi. I also tried connecting the Qutest directly to my Macbook and same thing happens. I'm puzzled.
Definitely not. I don't have a Qutest right now, but I've had plenty of time with them and, like I said, dead silent. If you're up for it, try connecting just a simple USB power bank/battery that you might have lying around to it instead of whatever power supply you're using. If it does the same, then your Qutest definitely needs repair, otherwise it's something to do with your power supply and I would recommend just using a battery or a different PS.

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #5,488 of 6,740
Definitely not. I don't have a Qutest right now, but I've had plenty of time with them and, like I said, dead silent. If you're up for it, try connecting just a simple USB power bank/battery that you might have lying around to it instead of whatever power supply you're using. If it does the same, then your Qutest definitely needs repair, otherwise it's something to do with your power supply and I would recommend just using a battery or a different PS.
Using a battery pack didn't make a change but I think I found why it's happening, it's my amp (Feliks Echo 2).

The Qutest stopped making that noise when I disconnected it from the Echo. So I tried connecting the Qutest to my solid state amp and it was dead silent. I have no idea why this is happening with the Echo, though.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #5,489 of 6,740
Using a battery pack didn't make a change but I think I found why it's happening, it's my amp (Feliks Echo 2).

The Qutest stopped making that noise when I disconnected it from the Echo. So I tried connecting the Qutest to my solid state amp and it was dead silent. I have no idea why this is happening with the Echo, though.
Could it be why they named it Echo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back