Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 8, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #4,667 of 6,740
"inversely proportional to the ability to pay for it." LOL spot on.

Any feedback on preamplifiers people are using? I mainly listen to stereo rather than headphones...
No experience with them, no comment.
I had never used Qutest with headphones. Occasional headphone listen with TT2/MScaler(mostly speakers duties), no amp needed. With 2Qute I use the Lake People G105 amp, which is very transparent. With Mojo, no amp needed.

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #4,668 of 6,740
Do you have details, or link, to your Passive shunt diy pre?
It consists of a blue Alps pot and a Vishay Zfoil resistor.The box,including the pot and RCAs was bought from Ebay.Search as passive Alps preamplifier and you will find it.The electrical connection is easily found on the internet.
20190719_111013.jpg

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #4,670 of 6,740
I have a slight issue with my Qutest. It keeps getting stuck at PCM 48khz no matter what files I play, hence the light is always an orange-red. Source is my iPhone via the USB3.0 CCK (the one with a charging port). Anyone with the same problem?

B33F5099-BE13-49CB-A1AF-C79CF2DC8B1F.jpeg

I tried using PC as source and during setup, the available bitrates for me to ‘check off’ is only up to 96khz as well. In the advanced tab, I selected the highest available option and the light turns purple, but it does not cycle when I play different bitrate files. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #4,671 of 6,740
I have a slight issue with my Qutest. It keeps getting stuck at PCM 48khz no matter what files I play, hence the light is always an orange-red. Source is my iPhone via the USB3.0 CCK (the one with a charging port). Anyone with the same problem?

B33F5099-BE13-49CB-A1AF-C79CF2DC8B1F.jpeg

I tried using PC as source and during setup, the available bitrates for me to ‘check off’ is only up to 96khz as well. In the advanced tab, I selected the highest available option and the light turns purple, but it does not cycle when I play different bitrate files. Is this normal?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12600357

The standard Apple music player is limited to 48kHz, so it will downscale your HD music to this rate.
You need to play your music using a different app.

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #4,674 of 6,740
In that case, the max bitrate issue must be caused by one of the KaiserTone or iPhone settings.
I don't have an iPhone, but hopefully an owner will reply soon.
Thank you so much for your quick replies. I have solved it in a rather painful way and last resort method.

Prior to posting for help, I had reset the app to default settings, reconnecting with different CCKs (I have a few) and cables in case there is some issues.

What really helped was to delete and reinstall the app. Now the lights are cycling with different bitrate files... and I have to reload 120GB of music back. T_T

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #4,675 of 6,740
I've recently acquired a pair of Audeze LCD-X's. I've been using a Dragonfly Cobalt but looking to upgrade now. I've narrowed down my options and see I can get a new Qutest or a used Hugo2 for about the same cost. I've not listened to anything (how can we during lockdown?) Apparently, they have the same exact DAC. I don't need the portability of the Hugo2 but like the idea of amp/dac combo with battery power all-in-one. I've also head that the amp in the Hugo2 works well with the LCD-X. I have no idea of what sandalone amp to consider (there's to much choice!!!) Any suggestions or advice?

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #4,676 of 6,740
Hey guys I just got a used Qutest. I'm interested in setting up the best connection between it and my Singxer SU-1 audio bridge. Looks like the only compatible cable type is BNC. So would I get a BNC cable from the S/PDIF1 to BNC input of the Qutest? Or would that be from the MCLK/WCK of the Qutest? I was about to get a BNC cable from Blue Jeans cable company but looks like I have to choose between 12G or RG-7 size whatever that means?

And any recommendation for the best cable brand would be appreciated. I would prefer just to get an affordable cable unless there's a noticeable improvement in fidelity.
... thanks in advance folks!

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #4,677 of 6,740
So would I get a BNC cable from the S/PDIF1 to BNC input of the Qutest?
Yes, it must be connected in this way. Another option is to transmit "Word Clock" (clock signals for synchronization). Qutest does not need this.
You can also connect the USB to Qutest directly, bypassing the SU-1.

And any recommendation for the best cable brand would be appreciated
If the distance is not large, then such a cable will be more than enough.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-BNC-59-.../B000068OFB/ref=psdc_3236443011_t1_B004NCW478

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #4,678 of 6,740
Thanks for your advice.
I got the version called Belden 1695A from Blue Jeans cable here, it's the 3rd version down. I went with this one because it's plenum rated so it should be thicker and more isolated... 3 feet, white to look cooler than all those black cables 😉. They're based in my hometown and they have reasonable prices on great hi-fi quality cables of all different types.

So is there any kind of consensus on this thread if the Qutest really does perform comparably or perhaps even better than the Hugo2, and which input / connection type has been more preferable?

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #4,679 of 6,740
Traded this in and Bought a Hugo TT 2. Jumping squares. Qutest was incredible too.

I haven't been on the forum in some time. But lol, these two posts were one after another and quite funny. Glad you moved up, wish I could join you. That Chord sound is so purty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back