Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 9, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #4,636 of 6,740
Correct - no user volume control on Qutest.

And no Chord DAC implements Roon controlled volume via USB commands.

I doubt very much that Roon would decimate whilst doing something simple like adding a volume control.

Volume control function involves taking the data, multiplying it by a coefficient; if your data is 24 bits, and the coefficient is say 24 bits then the result is 48 bits. But we need to get it back to 24 bits (or 32 for USB) and this is where the problems start. Normally, you truncate by using dither - just truncating by discarding the unused bits creates distortion so don't do that - but dither isn't perfect. The best from a transparency POV is Gaussian dither, which is better than the usual triangular dither - you get noticeable better sense of depth and detail resolution from Gaussian. The only way of completely maintaining full transparency when truncating is to use 11th order noise shaping, and this only at 705/768 kHz.

Having said all that, you would be better off using Roon to do the volume control than using a pre-amp or a passive volume control, as these all add distortion and degrade small signal accuracy too.

Yes keep your source bit perfect (apart from when you have to do volume control with Qutest) is the best approach.

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #4,637 of 6,740
Good to know. Not sure where I came up with the notion that Qutest could do the digital volume, but glad to be set straight so I have a better working knowledge. Robb's advice does go contrary to my next planned step, a First Watt Buffer Preamp (B1) to control volume and tweak channel balance of speakers.

I may try it anyway, couldn't hurt to have in my audio arsenal. I would be happy if the Buffer preamp would have a negative effect equivalent to DSP, but allow for great volume control than 1db steps.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #4,638 of 6,740
Just received mine from HeadAmp now. This thing is just cool beyond belief. Packaging is an A+. Part of the experience to me. A big thanks to Justin at Headamp. Bought this and free two day shipping. Excellent.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #4,644 of 6,740
Mar 24, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #4,645 of 6,740
How do the two compare, in your experience?
Both are excellent. I do notice a difference w/TT 2 in imaging and detail. I really wanted an all in one box. I used my Cavalli Liquid Fire w/Qutest and the sound was excellent. I had considered getting a HeadAmp GSX mini to power the Qutest and instead went with the all-in-one TT 2. Justin at HeadAmp (where I bought both from and he is excellent w/shipping and communication) said he thought the GSX mini/Qutest combo was very good.

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #4,646 of 6,740
Is it worth the additional approx $3,800?
That can only be answered by you. I could have lived w/Qutest and been super happy. Asking that is like these guys spending $40K on an MSB DAC. If I figured the original cost of my Cavalli Liquid Fire+Qutest I'd be close to that price. A HeadAmp GSX mini+Qutest is about $3500 which is what I would personally get if I hadn't purchased the TT 2.

Mar 24, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #4,647 of 6,740
That can only be answered by you. I could have lived w/Qutest and been super happy. Asking that is like these guys spending $40K on an MSB DAC. If I figured the original cost of my Cavalli Liquid Fire+Qutest I'd be close to that price. A HeadAmp GSX mini+Qutest is about $3500 which is what I would personally get if I hadn't purchased the TT 2.
Thanks I was thinking for the DAC difference alone is it worth $3800? With the amp factored in it brings you much closer. I'm using my Qutest with Naim UnitiQute, Headline and HD800. Next step up for me will probably be the next generation DAVE. :wink:

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #4,648 of 6,740
I forgot to add the cost of interconnects from amp to DAC as well. I have humble Moon Audio Blue Dragon (Old version silver not copper) and that's another $200. And that is a low price for this gear I think, plus I had 2 Shunyata power cords, one for DAC, one for Amp too. Obviously you can do this all with stock but the Hugo TT 2 needs none of those.

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #4,649 of 6,740
Has anyone compared the topping D90 to the Qutest??

i just got a D90 today in my setup which is hifiman Arya > topping D90 > THX887. i also have a chord mojo and love the sound quality.

Thinking of trying a Qutest to see how it compares to the D90

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #4,650 of 6,740

Users who are viewing this thread

Back