Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 24, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #4,385 of 6,775
So would you say that JCAT is better than ISO Regen?

Every opinion here is based on own perception, but for me yes. JCAT > ISO Regen > iFi Audio nano iUSB3.0.

JCAT was connected in my PC on a PCIex2.0 slot and powered by Sbooster 5V + Sbooster Ultra.
ISO Regen was connected to the DAC with USPCB A>B Adapter and powered by a standard AC-DC plug and later with Sbooster BOTW MKII set ot 6.5V without the Sbooster Ultra (not supported when Sbooster was set to 6.5V).
iFi Audio nano iUSB3.0 was connected to iGalvanic3.0 and powered by its own power supply (iPower 9V I think).

I used the same USB cable which was QED Reference USB A-B 2m.

For me the JCAT was the best solution (with upgraded firmware to 2.0, I haven't tried it with first version firmware because when I bought it the v2 firmware was already available).
The ISO Regen with LPS was better than ISO Regen without it, and both better than iUSB3.0 nano. Many claim there is a big difference between iUSB3.0 nano and micro, the latest being much better but I haven't tried it.

As I said, this is based on my own perception, gear and so on...

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #4,386 of 6,775
In my opinion, the stock one cannot give great results.
Powered from a IfI Micro iUSB 3.0, the Qutest gets things to another level.
And getting a factory made BNC cable (like Audioquest Diamond, without adapters from coax I mean) could improve things further.
For me, in order to have the biggest jump in quality, you need these factors:
- quality power source
- quality micro usb used for power
- quality USB cable or BNC
- quality transport
- quality interconnect
Do you mean connecting IFI USB-a to Qutest micro-USB? What about power specifications? Is it 5V?

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4,387 of 6,775
Is there a consensus on the use of conditioners such as SOtM tx-USBultra or iPurifier, as well as Rendu and SOtM streamers with Qutest? At the moment, I just have a laptop with Fidelizer and Audirvana, I'm happy with the sound, but maybe there is room for improvement?

I will be getting a review sample of the relatively new British-made Stack Audio Link in early November. I believe the retail will be $900. This is a raspberry pi based bridge/streamer with some proprietary design elements.

I currently use a MacBook Air with the latest version of Audirvana with my Qutest, so it will be interesting to see if the Link outperforms my setup.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #4,388 of 6,775
would be very interesting to see Stack Audio Link vs Audirvana/Mac

Also, did you notice, Allo released new USBridge Sig, looks very interesting too

I will be getting a review sample of the relatively new British-made Stack Audio Link in early November. I believe the retail will be $900. This is a raspberry pi based bridge/streamer with some proprietary design elements.

I currently use a MacBook Air with the latest version of Audirvana with my Qutest, so it will be interesting to see if the Link outperforms my setup.

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,389 of 6,775
Every opinion here is based on own perception, but for me yes. JCAT > ISO Regen > iFi Audio nano iUSB3.0.

JCAT was connected in my PC on a PCIex2.0 slot and powered by Sbooster 5V + Sbooster Ultra.
ISO Regen was connected to the DAC with USPCB A>B Adapter and powered by a standard AC-DC plug and later with Sbooster BOTW MKII set ot 6.5V without the Sbooster Ultra (not supported when Sbooster was set to 6.5V).
iFi Audio nano iUSB3.0 was connected to iGalvanic3.0 and powered by its own power supply (iPower 9V I think).

For me the JCAT was the best solution (with upgraded firmware to 2.0, I haven't tried it with first version firmware because when I bought it the v2 firmware was already available).
The ISO Regen with LPS was better than ISO Regen without it, and both better than iUSB3.0 nano. Many claim there is a big difference between iUSB3.0 nano and micro, the latest being much better but I haven't tried it.

Here, in Russia, only IFI is commercially distributed, I would have to order JCAT or ISO Regen blindly without home listening. But thanks anyway. Do you happen to know anything about

Here in Russia only IFI gets commercially distributed, I would have to order JCAT or ISO Regen blindly without proper home listening(( But thanks anyway. Do you happen to know anything about SOtM tx-USBultra?

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #4,391 of 6,775
Here, in Russia, only IFI is commercially distributed, I would have to order JCAT or ISO Regen blindly without home listening. But thanks anyway. Do you happen to know anything about

Here in Russia only IFI gets commercially distributed, I would have to order JCAT or ISO Regen blindly without proper home listening(( But thanks anyway. Do you happen to know anything about SOtM tx-USBultra?

Do not buy JCAT if you use a laptop like you mentioned before. JCAT can be mounted only in a Desktop PC on a motherboard with PCIex x16. This is how the card looks:

JCAT-Femto-04.jpg

About the other device I do not know much, I stopped reading about USB filters or such stuff since I use this card.

Some notes about this card:
1) sound quality is drastically improved when you power it externally with a linear power supply (that's the idea, to separate PC switching PSU from the audio line)
2) some claim it works better when you use only 1 usb port (if I remember correctly there is a firmware upgrade for usage only with 1 USB active)
3) some claim it works better in PCIex 3.0 x16 ports than in PCIex 2.0 x16 ports (I'll try this soon when I upgrade my gaming rig)

So if you decide to go for this, try to satisfy also these 3 points.
And of course DO NOT BUY IT FOR A LAPTOP!

You can also try to link the Qutest via Optical (there is on this thread a Lifatec glass cable all recommend) but you will be limited to 192KHz. I guess that solution if you have optical output is fine also.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #4,392 of 6,775
dx0q.jpg

Im using this thin client pc (model Wyse Dx0D). And installed a 4TB disk inside.
Its passively cooled (no ventilators) and has minimal interferring parts inside.
Psu is external.

I installed a stripped Win7 thin version with foobar and Jriver.
Im operating it with f2k and Jriver mobile remote app.
Works like charm.

And.. it doubles as a headphone stand:wink:

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #4,394 of 6,775
Do not buy JCAT if you use a laptop like you mentioned before. JCAT can be mounted only in a Desktop PC on a motherboard with PCIex x16. This is how the card looks:

JCAT-Femto-04.jpg

About the other device I do not know much, I stopped reading about USB filters or such stuff since I use this card.

Some notes about this card:
1) sound quality is drastically improved when you power it externally with a linear power supply (that's the idea, to separate PC switching PSU from the audio line)
2) some claim it works better when you use only 1 usb port (if I remember correctly there is a firmware upgrade for usage only with 1 USB active)
3) some claim it works better in PCIex 3.0 x16 ports than in PCIex 2.0 x16 ports (I'll try this soon when I upgrade my gaming rig)

So if you decide to go for this, try to satisfy also these 3 points.
And of course DO NOT BUY IT FOR A LAPTOP!

You can also try to link the Qutest via Optical (there is on this thread a Lifatec glass cable all recommend) but you will be limited to 192KHz. I guess that solution if you have optical output is fine also.
Ok, thank you, guess I'll try IfI first, see how it goes))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back