Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #3,316 of 6,740
To reinforce what @STR-1 posted, the chord dacs tend to use the 5V VBUS to indicate that the USD data port is active.
If the VBUS reads 0V, the data port is identified as inactive, and then switched off. This will be the point at which your PC can no longer see the Qutest.

So Chord DAC's are unlike some DAC's that only require 5V VBUS for initial handshake but will keep on working if 5V is turned off later?

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #3,318 of 6,740
I am very close on getting this DAC but it seems to be sold out right now and dealers are awaiting shipment.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #3,320 of 6,740
I just took delivery of my Qutest and find the sound to be great right out of the box using the supplied Chord wall wort. But I also own an iso regen with LPS-1 PS. I was thinking of using the the LPS-1 to power the Qutest and compare sound to the supplied Chord WW. But the LPS-1 is supplied with an output cable having 2.1mm connectors at both ends. I searched on-line but could not find a 2.1mm to micro usb adapter as required for input on the Qutest. For those of you using the Uptone PS on the Qutest, could you please advise where you procured your adapter. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #3,321 of 6,740
But remove the reclocker and we no longer have the source loop and so RF noise can't interfere into the Qutest amplifier ground/mains loop.

Hi Rob, in this example though, while you've removed one loop by removing the USB reclocker, let's say you are left with 3 x SMPS's and the USB source is earthed and integrated amplifier is earthed...

The USB galvanic isolation of Qutest can still be defeated here right, as the ground currents / leakage currents can see go through Qutest and amp?

Sometimes when I think about the different paths these currents can go I wonder how important galvanic isolation is in the big scheme? Sure you may block these currents on USB input but they still have a pathway via PSU's (including Qutest's?)?

Especially if the system has bad grounding overall, i.e. multiple earthed SMPS's?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #3,323 of 6,740
What RCA interconnects are you people using from your Qutest to your amplifier? I have the same cables that I bought 20 plus years ago and I m ready for something new.I m sure cable technology can't have moved on all that much since then but with how my rig is shaping up I will need an extra pair of analogue cables anyway I have the Chord Shawline in mind and I m thinking about something that wouldn't be over £200, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #3,325 of 6,740
What RCA interconnects are you people using from your Qutest to your amplifier? I have the same cables that I bought 20 plus years ago and I m ready for something new.I m sure cable technology can't have moved on all that much since then but with how my rig is shaping up I will need an extra pair of analogue cables anyway I have the Chord Shawline in mind and I m thinking about something that wouldn't be over £200, any suggestions will be appreciated.
I use very short QED Qunex 2 White RCAs. Under £20 secondhand and I am perfectly happy.

Mar 16, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #3,326 of 6,740
I`ve tried different interconnects and ended up with AudioQuest Water. Expensive, but definitely worth it.

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #3,327 of 6,740
I just took delivery of my Qutest and find the sound to be great right out of the box using the supplied Chord wall wort. But I also own an iso regen with LPS-1 PS. I was thinking of using the the LPS-1 to power the Qutest and compare sound to the supplied Chord WW. But the LPS-1 is supplied with an output cable having 2.1mm connectors at both ends. I searched on-line but could not find a 2.1mm to micro usb adapter as required for input on the Qutest. For those of you using the Uptone PS on the Qutest, could you please advise where you procured your adapter. Thanks.

I am using this one. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #3,328 of 6,740
I`ve tried different interconnects and ended up with AudioQuest Water. Expensive, but definitely worth it.

I use AQ Water too. I don’t know if it’s because of their DBS system but it was a clear step up compared to their cables without it.
And also a clear step up from other cables I tried at the time: QED, Eichmann and a few others.
To me the musical presentation became calmer and more natural. Some of the digital harshness that is so difficult to get completely rid of were removed.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #3,329 of 6,740

Thanks! I'll order one today. The Qutest sounds so good now that can't imagine much improvement using a LPS but my curiosity must be satisfied! FYI my computer headphone system consists of: HP PC running JRMC 22.0.108 - USB to Qutest ('red' filter) - Audience RCA to Questyle 600i - Phono out to Focal Utopia.

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #3,330 of 6,740
One other question. I am currently using the ASIO Chord 1.5 driver because I have DSD iso files that I listen to often. But I have many times more PCM flac files in my music library. While the flac albums sound great using the ASIO driver, I can select from three other drivers:

Digital Output (Chord Async USB 44.1kHz - 768kHz [WASAPI]

Chord Electronics Ltd. Streaming [Kernal Streaming]

Digital Output (Chord Async USB 44.1kHz - 768kHz) [Direct Sound]

I have listened a bit with the Direct Sound driver option but really did not notice a difference in sound character. Is there actually any difference between these drivers with regard to sound quality or theoretical digital performance? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back