Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #3,046 of 6,775
Rob,

You mentioned two caps in the direct signal path. Are these two caps polypropylene, or other kind of high quality caps for audio?
By "usual two caps" do you mean one cap used for the output stage's input, and the second cap used for the Qutest audio output (output stage to the RCA jacks).
If two caps are used in the audio path, do I understand correctly that a DC servo is not used to enable direct-coupled audio output for Qutest?

Thanks, Bill

It's a discrete class A OP stage. One feedback loop and the usual two caps and two resistors in the direct signal path. The OP07C are merely the analogue integrators for the digital DC servo; they are not in the audio path, and only influence the DC on the output. It takes 16 seconds to get DC to be nulled out by the digital servo, that's what is happening at power up during the rainbow display mode.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #3,047 of 6,775
Really appreciate this recommendation and I will definitely follow up on it.
Oyaide USB Class A ... when high hats are in that narrow problem spot, the illusion is destroyed. If it wasn’t for that one flaw it would easily be the best I have heard. Such a shame.

That's weird. I would usually expect that kind of behavior from certain silver-plated copper USB cables. Oyaide Class B is SPC; have you tried that one?
It would be interesting to see if that problem goes away by using better quality USB connectors and/or solder...

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #3,048 of 6,775
Rob,

You mentioned two caps in the direct signal path. Are these two caps polypropylene, or other kind of high quality caps for audio?
By "usual two caps" do you mean one cap used for the output stage's input, and the second cap used for the Qutest audio output (output stage to the RCA jacks).
If two caps are used in the audio path, do I understand correctly that a DC servo is not used to enable direct-coupled audio output for Qutest?

Thanks, Bill
Or maybe one in the input and one in the feedback loop?I'd like to know the type,also.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #3,049 of 6,775
i have a pair of beyerdynamic t1 g2 headphones paired with a beyer A2 amp fed by my qutest, i cant hear any difference when changing the filters.

Yikes!

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #3,050 of 6,775
I owned the XC when I had the original Hugo. I thought they paired well, too, but it took some time for the XC trebles to settle down a bit. Once done, there were many magical moments of listening other than with poorly mastered recordings.

Watts up Jwbrent. :)

I believe different methods of R&D have taken place in Audeze labs .
They give you a certificate of authenticity and on the back it it says the headphone itself has been 'Burned in' and tested thoroughly before leaving the lab .
I really do believe them because these headphones with the updated drivers (2017) sound awesome right out of the box .
I have no issues and perhaps since my Qutest has quite a few miles put on it may have something to do with that . :)
Anyhow. I absolutely love the pairing like you did .:)

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #3,051 of 6,775
My initial impressions about the Qutest are that it exceeds my high expectations. (Replacing the 2Qute.)

I prefer the sound to the Pro iDSD. The pro iDSD sounds a bit thicker with a slightly more firm low-end, but the Qutest just offers a higher quality sound overall. The resolution is higher, it is more spacious, the background is darker. It is very airy, very detailed and very realistic sounding. Just gives a better insight to music.

Also, I can confirm that unlike the 2Qute, the Qutest doesn't benefit from the iPurifier 3.

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #3,052 of 6,775
Watts up Jwbrent. :)

I believe different methods of R&D have taken place in Audeze labs .
They give you a certificate of authenticity and on the back it it says the headphone itself has been 'Burned in' and tested thoroughly before leaving the lab .
I really do believe them because these headphones with the updated drivers (2017) sound awesome right out of the box .
I have no issues and perhaps since my Qutest has quite a few miles put on it may have something to do with that . :)
Anyhow. I absolutely love the pairing like you did .:)

I bought the XC soon after it was released, so about five years ago. With the original Hugo which had a highly detail sound, there were times when the top end got hot. I can imagine with the newer XC and a Hugo 2, everything would sound just right. Enjoy!

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,053 of 6,775
My initial impressions about the Qutest are that it exceeds my high expectations. (Replacing the 2Qute.)

I prefer the sound to the Pro iDSD. The pro iDSD sounds a bit thicker with a slightly more firm low-end, but the Qutest just offers a higher quality sound overall. The resolution is higher, it is more spacious, the background is darker. It is very airy, very detailed and very realistic sounding. Just gives a better insight to music.

Also, I can confirm that unlike the 2Qute, the Qutest doesn't benefit from the iPurifier 3.

Interesting how there seems to be differing views about the effectiveness of the iPurifier 3 with the Qutest. I suppose the quality of the mains has something to do with this. When I had my house in the mountains of northern CA, I had an extra room devoted to my speaker system. I had an electrician come in to change the circuit to 20 amps, install hospital grade outlets, and create a dedicated line for my audio gear. Big difference because of this plus the fact I didn’t live in a city where all sorts of noise from industry and such pollutes the AC. Even still, my system which featured Watt/Puppy 7s and commensurate electronics sounded best late at night.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #3,054 of 6,775
That's weird. I would usually expect that kind of behavior from certain silver-plated copper USB cables. Oyaide Class B is SPC; have you tried that one?
It would be interesting to see if that problem goes away by using better quality USB connectors and/or solder...

Smells like silver plated copper to me as well. And that is also my experience with silver plating generally, although its usually a little more splashy and broader in effect and less metallic. Call me a heretic but I dont like silver at all in my system. Actually the metallic sound is more like rhodium IMO.

But it apparently isn’t...

Again really appreciate the USB suggestions from Qutest owners, specifically for the Qutest

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #3,055 of 6,775
I just tried the ISO Regen, powered via a normal switching power supply because I did not had the LPS they sell with it, and the overall impression was that I got a bigger soundstage and more air in the overall presentation, at the cost of clarity and overall sound quality. I tried FLAC and DSD, several times, and I had the feeling that the improvement might be well perceived on a speaker system than on a headphone one like I use. So at the moment, at least in my case, the ISO Regen will go to the box until I will have another way to try it, on a different DAC or with a different power supply. For me it was not an improvement like it was the LPS I added in the past.
I would rather try something like Schiit Eitr to ingore usb completely. Simple Decrapifiers isnt enough. Im sure Galvanic isolation is needed too so Iso regen is good to go...
But the thing is, if people connect 2 different usb cables which 1 is low quality and other is high quality and expectations is to have performance of a high quality cable im affraid its not gonna happen. Cheap usb cable always gonna degrade sound and i tried 5 on different combinations.
As we know power supply is even more important and these cheap switching supplies didnt make any sense for a product that is supposed to fight harsness.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #3,056 of 6,775
Smells like silver plated copper to me as well. And that is also my experience with silver plating generally, although its usually a little more splashy and broader in effect and less metallic. Call me a heretic but I dont like silver at all in my system. Actually the metallic sound is more like rhodium IMO.

But it apparently isn’t...

Again really appreciate the USB suggestions from Qutest owners, specifically for the Qutest

Inakustik Reference would be another cable among the best. Solid scientific design elements and no voodoo from this German company.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #3,057 of 6,775
Also curious what other tweaks people employ for their Qutest?

Vibration control? (I have mine sitting on 3 Herbie tenderfeet)

Ferrites on USB input cable?

Physical distance from other (RF noisy) components?

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #3,058 of 6,775

You should really try optical with qutest, once i tried it there was no looking back.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #3,059 of 6,775
Also curious what other tweaks people employ for their Qutest?

Vibration control? (I have mine sitting on 3 Herbie tenderfeet)

Ferrites on USB input cable?

Physical distance from other (RF noisy) components?

Unless all your music is DSD and 192khz+ then why go through all the trouble of usb clean up devices, ferrites, expensive usb cables. Optical is immune to noise, your getting a pure signal to the dac.

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #3,060 of 6,775
Unless all your music is DSD and 192khz+ then why go through all the trouble of usb clean up devices, ferrites, expensive usb cables. Optical is immune to noise, your getting a pure signal to the dac.

Ive considered it, but I have a growing number of DSD256 and DXD (352khz PCM) titles which I have been playing a lot recently and would hate to lose them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back