Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #3,061 of 6,740
Rob,

You mentioned two caps in the direct signal path. Are these two caps polypropylene, or other kind of high quality caps for audio?
By "usual two caps" do you mean one cap used for the output stage's input, and the second cap used for the Qutest audio output (output stage to the RCA jacks).
If two caps are used in the audio path, do I understand correctly that a DC servo is not used to enable direct-coupled audio output for Qutest?

Thanks, Bill

No they are not coupling capacitors at all; the Qutest is fully DC coupled with the digital DC servo nulling out DC offsets. The capacitors are for the analogue filter and are 200V COG types.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #3,062 of 6,740
Smells like silver plated copper to me as well. And that is also my experience with silver plating generally, although its usually a little more splashy and broader in effect and less metallic. Call me a heretic but I dont like silver at all in my system. Actually the metallic sound is more like rhodium IMO.

Well, seeing how the Oyaide class A is rather reasonably priced in the sea of money-grubbing audiophile USB cabledom, I have ordered one out of curiosity...

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #3,063 of 6,740
Rob,
Glad to hear that no caps are used in the audio path that might effect audio quality. Yes, the DC-coupled output stage, with servo for zeroing DC offset, is the way to go. Impressive.

BTW, Have two Qutests, and have an M-scaler on order.

No they are not coupling capacitors at all; the Qutest is fully DC coupled with the digital DC servo nulling out DC offsets. The capacitors are for the analogue filter and are 200V COG types.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #3,064 of 6,740
Ive considered it, but I have a growing number of DSD256 and DXD (352khz PCM) titles which I have been playing a lot recently and would hate to lose them

Same here.

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #3,065 of 6,740
Hello all. I have just a suggestion to share with you fine gents.
I bought a pair of LCD XC's and of course pairing it with my Qutest using mostly both Warm filters (orange, red) and I just love it .
Had to buy a closed back cause I have a small child, but with the LCD XC's very forward mid range and great low end presentation it makes for a very fun and engaging listen and kind of accentuates the qutest's amazing clarity in the mids and the quality of them because the XC's are so bloody uniquely forward in their mid range presentation . I love the pairing and I love my Qutest for helping my Xc's to sound like the elite closed back headphone that they truly are .
If anyone has tried this pairing let me know. Pretty wide sound stage for a closed back headphone. :)
Nice! Are they heavy? I'd really love to try LCD and other 'phones, but nowhere on my local island of NI stocks a range of 'phones.. I rather enjoys my HD650s, but still keen to hear others. Only way I can think of is to buy online on a sale or return basis.
So. to those who went down this route, who are decent UK retailers you's recommend?

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #3,066 of 6,740
Interesting how there seems to be differing views about the effectiveness of the iPurifier 3 with the Qutest. I suppose the quality of the mains has something to do with this. When I had my house in the mountains of northern CA, I had an extra room devoted to my speaker system. I had an electrician come in to change the circuit to 20 amps, install hospital grade outlets, and create a dedicated line for my audio gear. Big difference because of this plus the fact I didn’t live in a city where all sorts of noise from industry and such pollutes the AC. Even still, my system which featured Watt/Puppy 7s and commensurate electronics sounded best late at night.
I have iPurifier2, makes no difference with Qutest (worked well on previous DAC). I bought iSilencer3 and find this does bring benefits with Qutest. As it sits at the PC end it cleans signal before entering the cable, with my laptop it's worthwhile, and half the price of iPurifier. Of course, others may have quieter PCs...

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #3,068 of 6,740
I'm a little Concerned that I cannot hear any differnce when changing filters on my qutest, my Beyerdynamic T1 G2 headphones and beyerdynamic a2 amp aren't top end but neither are they lower end.
From what I understand the filters are very subtle in the change that they make. They aren't supposed to drastically change much of the sound, just a tiny bit of tuning. I can hear the difference between them, but it's small enough to just run incisive 24/7.

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #3,070 of 6,740
I'm a little Concerned that I cannot hear any differnce when changing filters on my qutest, my Beyerdynamic T1 G2 headphones and beyerdynamic a2 amp aren't top end but neither are they lower end.
I wouldn't worry too much, the difference between filters is very subtle. Some people can't even hear it. Try songs you know very well, try to focus on brightness or treble and use the different filters to see if you hear a little more warmth or a little more rolled off treble. I can hear a very subtle difference when I switch between filters, but I doubt I would be able to tell which one is on in a blind test right after switching the Qutest on.

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,071 of 6,740
I wouldn't worry too much, the difference between filters is very subtle. Some people can't even hear it. Try songs you know very well, try to focus on brightness or treble and use the different filters to see if you hear a little more warmth or a little more rolled off treble. I can hear a very subtle difference when I switch between filters, but I doubt I would be able to tell which one is on in a blind test right after switching the Qutest on.
OK thanks for response, it's seems some qutest owners report that the filters make a huge difference but going by your reply it's very subtle. I mostly listen to tidal/quobuz so maybe if dsd 512 was the source filters would have a bigger effect.

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #3,072 of 6,740
I seem to recall Rob Watts saying that his DACs performs the same no matter the toslink source, which would mean that quality of toslink cables don't matter. Anyone compared some good toslink with some cheap ones?

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #3,073 of 6,740
Nice! Are they heavy? I'd really love to try LCD and other 'phones, but nowhere on my local island of NI stocks a range of 'phones.. I rather enjoys my HD650s, but still keen to hear others. Only way I can think of is to buy online on a sale or return basis.
So. to those who went down this route, who are decent UK retailers you's recommend?

650's are pretty awesome and I think you'll enjoy the XC's very much because they offer a completely different sonic presentation . I find it is great to get aquainted with a variety of sound signatures to find what you ultimately truly love.
The XC's are heavy however with the updated headband they distribute that weight of 658 grams very well I feel . Also, the XC's build quality is beyond exceptional . they have an extremely imposing presence. Kind of remind me of the Juggernaut from Marvel x men comics. Lol . Very thick and chunky build.
I think they are great . Very unique and forward midrange presentation .
If you ever hear them even with a Qutest you will get to understand that they are not a deep headphone that scrape the bottom of the nuance and transient barrels of every recording like a 650 or an 800 . however they are pretty wide for a closed back. Extreamly dynamic as well . The vocals and main instruments are extremely upfront along with a visceral bass presence.

U.K dealer? Maybe CUSTOM CANS carries them ? I bought a cable from them .
Great company.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #3,074 of 6,740
Hello everyone, a curiosity for those like me who uses Foobar, what do you prefer to use as an output module, Asio or Wasapi? I am currently using Asio and ask if anyone has made comparisons and which one prefers between the two ...
Thank you

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #3,075 of 6,740
Finding your ideal heapdhone is almost like an eternal quest. It is a fun journey though. If you don't need sound isolation I would definitely go for opened back headphones. Closed back is always a compromise, even if it is as good as as the Audeze XC. In my opinion even the LCD2C will give you a better experience than the HD650, for the fraction of the price of the XC. Of course it also depends on your music preference. HD650 might be better for mid-centric music but nothing out there beats Audeze bass. The XC is also very heavy. 20% heavier than the LCD2C and the 2C is already on the heavier side.

Although the name looks dodgy, this is a very well priced official Audeze retailer in the UK. You might find however that you prefer other brands to Audeze like ZMF, Focal or HiFiMan.
I am very happy with my Audeze LCD2C, but have to admit excellent bass is mission critical with most of my preferred music.

And just to give this thread a little more vibe, here is my present setup. Qutest is awesome.
IMG_20190206_104518744.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back