Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,266 of 6,740
this looks interesting as well, now I have another question, since my laptop has only 2 usb ports, and I am connecting many usb devices to my laptop, using a usb hub, is there a good quality usb hub that I should buy with the regen, or it doesn't matter with the regen as it does all the work regardless what usb hub i use on my laptop

to ask more precisely can i connect 4 usb devices ( 2 external storage devices and 1 dac and 1 mouse ) to a usb hub and still use regen to achieve what it is supposed to achieve
No experience using hubs, so can't speak to it. Would suggest you use one usb port for the regen / dac, and connect everything else to the other port via the hub. This would minimize any potential effect of the hub on your music.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,267 of 6,740
No experience using hubs, so can't speak to it. Would suggest you use one usb port for the regen / dac, and connect everything else to the other port via the hub. This would minimize any potential effect of the hub on your music.

thanks for all replies, this got me interested really, i would like to ask few more questions, suing the regen what difference did you notice with headphones as I mainly want it to use with my headphones. So assuming I buy this regen and just buy a cheap usb cable like audioquest cinnamon would suffice as a usb cable, as all the work I assume will be done by the regen

also do i have to buy a power supply for it, if yes why the sell it without a power supply? Do i have to buy the ifi ipower for it ?

finally did anyone hear about audioquest columbia as locally there is a guy selling it for cheap

I am trying to minimize costs as much as possible, and I really would like to spend 400 -500 usd max, and get in return something to make me feel there is a difference that I can experience while listening, not just something that is barely barely noticeable, as that expenditure can go to better places in that case. Yes I know its only 500 usd but that is what I feel at the moment willing to spend on.

Thanks all for tolerating these questions, if anyone asks me do i hear noise, I would say not at all, and do I feel I am missing something, i would say no. But if investing max 500 usd would take it to a better audible level then why not, I really do not want to pay 500 usd just for theoretical experiences

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,268 of 6,740
thanks for all replies, this got me interested really, i would like to ask few more questions, suing the regen what difference did you notice with headphones as I mainly want it to use with my headphones. So assuming I buy this regen and just buy a cheap usb cable like audioquest cinnamon would suffice as a usb cable, as all the work I assume will be done by the regen

also do i have to buy a power supply for it, if yes why the sell it without a power supply? Do i have to buy the ifi ipower for it ?

finally did anyone hear about audioquest columbia as locally there is a guy selling it for cheap

I am trying to minimize costs as much as possible, and I really would like to spend 400 -500 usd max, and get in return something to make me feel there is a difference that I can experience while listening, not just something that is barely barely noticeable, as that expenditure can go to better places in that case. Yes I know its only 500 usd but that is what I feel at the moment willing to spend on.

Thanks all for tolerating these questions, if anyone asks me do i hear noise, I would say not at all, and do I feel I am missing something, i would say no. But if investing max 500 usd would take it to a better audible level then why not, I really do not want to pay 500 usd just for theoretical experiences
PM sent

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,270 of 6,740
I am actually independent of Chord, as I am merely the designer, so this is by no means an official answer.

But my understanding is that warranty repairs are handled via Chord's US service centre, organised by your dealer. Chord monitor the situation, and provide the ultimate back-stop. Most repairs are easy to fix; some require brand new boards for which the service centre install. I do know that Chord take looking after customers wherever you are in the world very seriously, and have seen them bending over backwards to sort issues out.

Thank you Rob.

gad-

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #2,271 of 6,740
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,272 of 6,740
Welcome... back, Qutest.

Chord Qutest.jpg

This is my second unit as my first didn't match very well with my (sold) Peachtree Nova 300.

Now, with my Denon PMA-2500NE... Need more days to listen but seems promising so far!

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2,273 of 6,740
Hi, Guys, we finished our review of the Qutest. I found some slight differences in the sound compared to the Hugo 2 DAC but overall just as detailed and excellent sounding DAC

https://headfonics.com/2018/10/chord-qutest-review/
Nice review although as usual from most of you guys I miss references to the music you used in your comparisons!
Why is that so difficult?
Anyway it seems we generally agree you and me regarding HUGO 2 and Qutest.
I chose Qutest after careful comparisons with some of my reference hi res classical music files for a couple of reasons.
HUGO 2 could not drive my HEKV2 well enough, not to mention the Susvara I listened to also via both DACs.
And although HUGO2 would have been a smarter choice for my travels I am actually "mad enough" to use Qutest also as my travel DAC in combination with a choice of headphone amps with more power for power-hungry headphones.
I refuse to stick any of those "weird looking little thingies" many here seems to be using, in my ear canals for my serious music listening and will only do so on flights for watching movies.
But I also chose Qutest for home use in my speaker based system and because to me and with the same actual references to the live sound, tracks mentioned above, Qutest sounded better and more real in almost all respects to me.
Next I am going to see/hear more in depth than my so far short tests, how much of an improvement M-scaler will really add to Qutest's already quite good capablities.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #2,274 of 6,740
Nice review although as usual from most of you guys I miss references to the music you used in your comparisons!
Why is that so difficult?
Anyway it seems we generally agree you and me regarding HUGO 2 and Qutest.
I chose Qutest after careful comparisons with some of my reference hi res classical music files for a couple of reasons.
HUGO 2 could not drive my HEKV2 well enough, not to mention the Susvara I listened to also via both DACs.
And although HUGO2 would have been a smarter choice for my travels I am actually "mad enough" to use Qutest also as my travel DAC in combination with a choice of headphone amps with more power for power-hungry headphones.
I refuse to stick any of those "weird looking little thingies" many here seems to be using, in my ear canals for my serious music listening and will only do so on flights for watching movies.
But I also chose Qutest for home use in my speaker based system and because to me and with the same actual references to the live sound, tracks mentioned above, Qutest sounded better and more real in almost all respects to me.
Next I am going to see/hear more in depth than my so far short tests, how much of an improvement M-scaler will really add to Qutest's already quite good capablities.
Cheers Christer

It doesn't make a lick of difference what music you process through the DAC, it will still have the same performance and still sound the exact same. We do tend to say how suitable certain gear is for genres but ultimately the amp on the end is going to be the final arbitrator.

Lol.. nice one taking the qutest on your travels, you using a power bank? I have a 20000mah one I am considering testing with the qutest when I get a chance. I like scalers but some of the ones I have tried sounded a touch digital beyond 96k so hoping the M-Scaler bucks the trend.

Yup speaker systems will greatly benefit from the Qutest, you should hear it with the TToby - magical!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #2,275 of 6,740
It doesn't make a lick of difference what music you process through the DAC, it will still have the same performance and still sound the exact same. We do tend to say how suitable certain gear is for genres but ultimately the amp on the end is going to be the final arbitrator.

Lol.. nice one taking the qutest on your travels, you using a power bank? I have a 20000mah one I am considering testing with the qutest when I get a chance. I like scalers but some of the ones I have tried sounded a touch digital beyond 96k so hoping the M-Scaler bucks the trend.

Yup speaker systems will greatly benefit from the Qutest, you should hear it with the TToby - magical!

Hi,
No I am not yet using my Qutest with a powerbank .But I am looking into getting one for this winter in Asia.
I hope the HIFI guys in Singapore will know what will both work well with Qutest and get me past Security without problems at Airports.
As far as Quetest via speakers is concerned it still lags slightly behind the best of my direct cut vinyl via my big electrostatic speakers and 900 watts per channel amplification.
That's where maybe an M-scaler could close the gap?
On the other hand and as you and at least one BLU2 owner mention, and judging from my first trials of Qutest and BLU2 earlier this year there could be some "digital glare" issues hinted at during my first trials.
If I am going to add an M-scaler to my Qutest it will have to justify the considerable outlay needed ,very well indeed, before a penny cruncher like me lets go of his hard earned money.
As far as I am concerned it is not enough if it can only pull 16/44.1 rbcd into hi res territory.

Cheers Christer

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #2,276 of 6,740
Hi,
No I am not yet using my Qutest with a powerbank .But I am looking into getting one for this winter in Asia.
I hope the HIFI guys in Singapore will know what will both work well with Qutest and get me past Security without problems at Airports.
As far as Quetest via speakers is concerned it still lags slightly behind the best of my direct cut vinyl via my big electrostatic speakers and 900 watts per channel amplification.
That's where maybe an M-scaler could close the gap?
On the other hand and as you and at least one BLU2 owner mention, and judging from my first trials of Qutest and BLU2 earlier this year there could be some "digital glare" issues hinted at during my first trials.
If I am going to add an M-scaler to my Qutest it will have to justify the considerable outlay needed ,very well indeed, before a penny cruncher like me lets go of his hard earned money.
As far as I am concerned it is not enough if it can only pull 16/44.1 rbcd into hi res territory.

Cheers Christer

I am hearing positive reports on investing in a good linear power supply from MCRU. Not cheap but since you are going summit-fi with your gear might be worth looking into.

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,277 of 6,740
I am hearing positive reports on investing in a good linear power supply from MCRU. Not cheap but since you are going summit-fi with your gear might be worth looking into.
I had a very bad experience with MCRU power supply and 2Qute.
This power supply totally killed sound of 2Qute, made it sound very odd with glassy high frequency, bloated mid base.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2,278 of 6,740
I had a very bad experience with MCRU power supply and 2Qute.
This power supply totally killed sound of 2Qute, made it sound very odd with glassy high frequency, bloated mid base.

ouch! that ended that thought quickly lol.. any other recommendations?

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,279 of 6,740
ouch! that ended that thought quickly lol.. any other recommendations?
I believe a better power supply for 2qute is exist for sure.
But I understand that I can't believe to opinion of other people. (Most of people perceive positively every upgrade even if it makes sound worse.)
So, I don't have enough money and time for my own research and I like 2qute sound with the power supply supplied by Chord.
You need to understand that Chord devices sound very good with own power supplies and power supply upgrade IS NOT MUST!

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,280 of 6,740
I believe a better power supply for 2qute is exist for sure.
But I understand that I can't believe to opinion of other people. (Most of people perceive positively every upgrade even if it makes sound worse.)
So, I don't have enough money and time for my own research and I like 2qute sound with the power supply supplied by Chord.
You need to understand that Chord devices sound very good with own power supplies and power supply upgrade IS NOT MUST!
Fun fact: some buy a DAC because of how good it sound, then try their hardest just to change that :) I believe if there were a better solution/adapter, Chord would just include it with Qutest or sell it separately. The fact that RW only mentioned a battery bank for traveling without mentioning if it brings changes to sound or not - somehow proves that the included adapter really meet his expectation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back