Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 22, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #2,221 of 6,740
why the preference of usb if it is a ‘noise sensitive’ option ?

It depends on many things. Some DACs have a proper SPDIF treatment, some don't... Check some measurements reviews at Audiosciencereview, you'll see many DACs don't mesure the same using USB (may be better... Or worse) or SPDIF.

In the case of Qutest. Hi-fi News measured the same performance (at least the same SNR) using USB and SPDIF...BUT... it still transport dependent! If you use a computer with a noisy PSU (I do), you should better go with toslink.

Ps: I hope you're using Roon feeding your Chromecast.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,222 of 6,740
I have mac book pro which I connected to my qutest via both optical and USB. The issue with optical is that any audio is passed through the sound card, USB was the more clear and better clarity. I ended up purchasing a sotm sms 200 which has a good improvement on the sound.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,223 of 6,740
I have mac book pro which I connected to my qutest via both optical and USB. The issue with optical is that any audio is passed through the sound card, USB was the more clear and better clarity. I ended up purchasing a sotm sms 200 which has a good improvement on the sound.
Thanks, well then optical from my mbp is not an option any longer if that's how it works.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2,224 of 6,740

Comments that refer to being clearer or having extra clarity immediately raise the possibility of RF noise causing false detail or false clarity. The usual test of whether a connection method is it better is to see whether the sound is darker, less bright etc, both of which can be regarded as a sign of less RF and therefore being better. (Happy to say IMO and YMMV of course).

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #2,226 of 6,740
qutest warranty USA.......

Per the "authorized distributor" I recently purchased from
any warranty repair is handled in the US by the service
dept. of the selling authorized dist. I would appreciate
Chord Electronics confirming this as warranty policies
are an important factor of my product evaluation.

thanks-

gad-

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2,227 of 6,740
Oct 23, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #2,230 of 6,740
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #2,231 of 6,740
Thank you so much for this @x RELIC x !
So the quest to find a good Optical source for my Qutest now begins ...:)

I've used Bluesound Node2, SOTM sms200, Lumin D1 and now Lumin U1 Mini as sources for my Qutest. Sound-wise the Lumin U1M transport is my favourite, it gives you the choice of coax rca/BNC, USB or optical and is a fabulous match with Qutest.

If budget is tighter and you're only interested in optical, a used Node2 is a good option. With that I found that Lifatec glass toslink sounded better than plastic ones like QED performance optical into the Qutest - I have no idea why this is, I wasn't really expecting any difference.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #2,232 of 6,740
Sound-wise the Lumin U1M transport is my favourite, it gives you the choice of coax rca/BNC, USB or optical and is a fabulous match with Qutest.

The lumin U1 mini spec says "Resamping to every supported format up to DSD128" which is a bit worrying because (if I understand it correctly) it does its own upsampling and that would potentially be in conflict with Qutest upsampling.

Did you consider Auralic Aries Mini ? Curious to know how the U1M compares with it from a usability point of view i.e. App features and stability etc.

Anyway if we take an Aries Mini, stick an internal SSD, then connect to Qutest with optical, you have everything you need right there at 1/4 the price of the Lumin.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #2,235 of 6,740
The lumin U1 mini spec says "Resamping to every supported format up to DSD128" which is a bit worrying because (if I understand it correctly) it does its own upsampling and that would potentially be in conflict with Qutest upsampling.

Did you consider Auralic Aries Mini ? Curious to know how the U1M compares with it from a usability point of view i.e. App features and stability etc.

Anyway if we take an Aries Mini, stick an internal SSD, then connect to Qutest with optical, you have everything you need right there at 1/4 the price of the Lumin.

Lumin, Auralic Lightning DS and BluOS to me are the 3 best control apps/systems I've tried, take your pick they are all very good and Roon is an option for each. Lumin upsampling is completely optional and in the U1M, each output can be enabled/disabled as needed.

Aries mini is great value and on a par with the Node2. But after I tried the SOTM and Lumin D1 it was clear to me that a better transport makes a positive difference with Qutest in my system. Whether it's worth the extra cash to anyone else is a different matter, and for people who don't feel that the delta is audible/enough in their own system, I would advise to save the cash and be very happy with either of the Aries mini or Bluesound. Being realistic, any transport more expensive is definitely subject to the law of diminishing returns, but I do find that what feels like an extra 5-10% of technical sound quality/accuracy can have a seemingly greater effect on the perceived musical engagement, or the impression of live/natural sound from a recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back