Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #2,206 of 6,740
Ok just subscribed to quobuz new studio which offers 24/192 and comparing to Tidals MQA via roon labs as the decoder to my qutest. I had to mess around with my setup to try and find how to link quobuz to play through my sotm sms 200 USB which was a real headache.

Setups as follows

Tidal MQA -Roon-mac-sotm sms 200- qutest - beyerdynamic a2 headphone amp - beyerdynamic t1 g2 headphones

Quobuz - Audiravana- sotm sms 200 - qutest - beyerdynamic a2 headphone amp - beyerdynamic t1 g2 headphones

If I don't use my headphone then I play through a Yaquin 13s tube amp to my Dali opticons

My thoughts , cancelled Tidal straight away and keeping Quobuz. Why ! quobuz sound just seems more, more in every aspect. Maybe if I had a similar priced MQA dac as the qutest then I might feel different , but Tidals hi res just feels compact and contained compared to a warmth and wide sound stage of Quobuz.

Oct 21, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2,207 of 6,740
Ok just subscribed to quobuz new studio which offers 24/192 and comparing to Tidals MQA via roon labs as the decoder to my qutest. I had to mess around with my setup to try and find how to link quobuz to play through my sotm sms 200 USB which was a real headache.

Setups as follows

Tidal MQA -Roon-mac-sotm sms 200- qutest - beyerdynamic a2 headphone amp - beyerdynamic t1 g2 headphones

Quobuz - Audiravana- sotm sms 200 - qutest - beyerdynamic a2 headphone amp - beyerdynamic t1 g2 headphones

If I don't use my headphone then I play through a Yaquin 13s tube amp to my Dali opticons

My thoughts , cancelled Tidal straight away and keeping Quobuz. Why ! quobuz sound just seems more, more in every aspect. Maybe if I had a similar priced MQA dac as the qutest then I might feel different , but Tidals hi res just feels compact and contained compared to a warmth and wide sound stage of Quobuz.

One thing you might want to check out is Qobuz’ facility for downloading a good number of files and having them available for offline playback. Afaik this is only possible with the Qobuz app itself, but it gives you a way of listening to music if your internet/wireless connection is poor or non-existent. Works on the phone and iPad apps too so no need to pay 4G charges.

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,208 of 6,740
To anyone else here that may be favouring toslink over usb transfer of the digital signal to their Qutest: Is it normal that optical to me sounds a bit less detailed ? It almost feels like highs are slightly rolled off. There is zero 'digital' character , everything sounds much more relaxed and easier to listen to , I mean detail is still there but a lot less in your face. I m enjoying it and losing sense of time listening which is great but now I m worried that maybe I m missing the 'edge' of USB. Could it be that I got used to a noisy USB connection or is optical generally of this more laid back character?

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,209 of 6,740
To anyone else here that may be favouring toslink over usb transfer of the digital signal to their Qutest: Is it normal that optical to me sounds a bit less detailed ? It almost feels like highs are slightly rolled off. There is zero 'digital' character , everything sounds much more relaxed and easier to listen to , I mean detail is still there but a lot less in your face. I m enjoying it and losing sense of time listening which is great but now I m worried that maybe I m missing the 'edge' of USB. Could it be that I got used to a noisy USB connection or is optical generally of this more laid back character?

Yes, what you are describing is electrical noise in the USB line causing noise floor modulation which ‘spices up’ the sound like MSG for audio making it sound brighter (which can be perceived as more detailed), but it’s artificial. The smoother input (in comparison) is always the better choice for fidelity. Give it some time to adjust to the smoother signature.

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #2,210 of 6,740
Thanks @x RELIC x , I suspected so and I guess the fact that I find it more musical should be enough but that nagging feeling that I might be missing something probed me. I ll try a better optical cable soon though too to see what differences if any might appear.

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #2,211 of 6,740
Thanks @x RELIC x , I suspected so and I guess the fact that I find it more musical should be enough but that nagging feeling that I might be missing something probed me. I ll try a better optical cable soon though too to see what differences if any might appear.

The only issue with using a toslink—either glass or plastic—is any file with greater resolution than 24/192 cannot be transmitted. Additionally, DSD files can also be a problem due to their data density.

I’m pretty sure of my accuracy here from my own experimentation as well as what I’ve read online, but if I’m wrong about this, perhaps someone else can chime in.

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #2,212 of 6,740
The only issue with using a toslink—either glass or plastic—is any file with greater resolution than 24/192 cannot be transmitted. Additionally, DSD files can also be a problem due to their data density.

I’m pretty sure of my accuracy here from my own experimentation as well as what I’ve read online, but if I’m wrong about this, perhaps someone else can chime in.

Yes, absolutely true.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #2,213 of 6,740
Do that many people really listen to a vast amount of music in DSD and above 192khz?

I'll be honest that my library consists of 93% 44.1khz, 7% 96khz and no DSD. Once i found out opitcal was free from noise etc it was a no brainer to use with Qutest.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #2,214 of 6,740
Do that many people really listen to a vast amount of music in DSD and above 192khz?

I'll be honest that my library consists of 93% 44.1khz, 7% 96khz and no DSD. Once i found out opitcal was free from noise etc it was a no brainer to use with Qutest.
May I ask how do you output optical to the Qutest with a laptop? (What device/hardware you use between the laptop and qutest)

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #2,216 of 6,740
You need to have an optical output on your laptop you don’t add any extra device, just like how you would use a usb cable.
So far I have only been able to use optical via my cd players and Qutest.
I tried connecting the optical provided with my Hugo into my mbp but on the mbp there is a different optical port with only a small whole instead.of the square one both on my cd players and Qutest.
Are there optical cables with square port at one end and mac type at the other end or not?
Or will a mac type connection fit into the Qutest?
Cheers Christer

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #2,219 of 6,740
Does anyone know other than an oscilloscope if there is something to measure RF noise (to rent) on a USB cable? I was considering isolating my Synology NAS via fiber-optic from the remainder of the network. However if the Synology itself is generating RF noise its a wasted investment.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #2,220 of 6,740
I wonder what the official view on Optical as a preferred connection, ie, what Rob Watts might think of it. Besides the fact that not all sampling frequencies are supported, are there other drawbacks ?
I was looking at streamers with optical out and most of them don’t offer it - except Auralic Aries, bluesound node2 and perhaps other lower end ones.
It might be a boring question for those clocking a few years into digital but why the preference of usb if it is a ‘noise sensitive’ option ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back