Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #2,178 of 6,746
All the decoding has to be done by the music source, that then feeds the input for the Qutest.

well i am connecting my laptop to chord, and using tidal

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,179 of 6,746
can i ask does qutest support mqa

In a word, no. Any MQA unfolding has to be done by software before the digital signal is fed to Qutest.

Rob Watts has given good reasons though to stay well clear of MQA. (Sorry but his post is hidden somewhere in one of the Chord threads or maybe in Rob Watts own blog).

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #2,181 of 6,746
well i am connecting my laptop to chord, and using tidal

As far as MQA is concerned it seems to be seen as "vaporware" by some sources by now. Obviously it is not as lossless as initially claimed.
And I think Rob was one of the first to point out its weaknesses.
I doubt it will be much of a commercial success in the long run.
Why would you want it?
As far as I am concerned when I want Masterfile quality I listen to the actual masterfiles not a compressed version of them.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #2,182 of 6,746
In a word, no. Any MQA unfolding has to be done by software before the digital signal is fed to Qutest.

Rob Watts has given good reasons though to stay well clear of MQA. (Sorry but his post is hidden somewhere in one of the Chord threads or maybe in Rob Watts own blog).

i am just confused what software unfolding if i am using tidal, is it not supposed to do that work and feed it to the dac

also i see the light colour changes when i use mqa vs non mqa on the qutest

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,183 of 6,746
i am just confused what software unfolding if i am using tidal, is not supposed to that work and feed it to the dac

Others will be more clued up but I recollect from when I used Tidal that you can just use their streaming services or you can use the Tidal Masters which has MQA file size reduction. The Tidal software will do the first MQA unfold but you need an MQA compatible dac to do the subsequent unfolds. I’m sure you will get a better explanation if you google MQA unfold or something similar.

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,184 of 6,746
i am just confused what software unfolding if i am using tidal, is it not supposed to do that work and feed it to the dac

The tidal app has to do the software unfolding - the unfolding cannot be done by the Qutest.
I think there are three levels of unfolding, and the app does the first level.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,185 of 6,746

Tidal is unable to decode the mqa material through its player however you will still get slightly higher res music than standard 16bit just not full mqa. I have both roon and audirava which offer mqa software decoding. There is a lot of bad vibe regarding mqa but I like it and can hear a big difference I would like to try Quobuz sublime but at £350 a year subscription I can't justify it.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,186 of 6,746
Tidal is unable to decode the mqa material through its player however you will still get slightly higher res music than standard 16bit just not full mqa. I have both roon and audirava which offer mqa software decoding. There is a lot of bad vibe regarding mqa but I like it and can hear a big difference I would like to try Quobuz sublime but at £350 a year subscription I can't justify it.
so if i use roon can I then get full mqa support and roon work with tidal, sorry for these noob questions

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,187 of 6,746
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,188 of 6,746
so if i use roon can I then get full mqa support and roon work with tidal, sorry for these noob questions
Roon and audirava will decode more than tidal, only a fully supported dac can do 100% but I'm happy with the software root. Both roon and audirava support tidal streaming basically you log into your account on either of the above and away you go.

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,189 of 6,746
Roon and audirava will decode more than tidal, only a fully supported dac can do 100% but I'm happy with the software root. Both roon and audirava support tidal streaming basically you log into your account on either of the above and away you go.

well just bought Audirvana and of course i hear difference , listened to sting 44/876 album in mqa and non mqa, man of course there is a difference , it was an instant buy when i heard the difference

thanks for telling me about Audirvana

it took less than a minute to judge for me and am glad i bought Audirvana

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #2,190 of 6,746

Qobuz have changed their subscription deals. You can now get high res streaming for £24.99 a month or £249 a year. This is their Studio tier and replaces Sublime. Sublime+ stays, but is now £299 a year, and gives you discounted downloads in addition to hi res streaming. Imo £350 a year was already good value for such a fantastic selection of music, but now with Studio you are paying 68p a day which is negligible. And with Qobuz you get the hi res master. MQA only gives you a lossy version of it. Why go with Tidal when you can have the real thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back