Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,147 of 6,775
IMG_20181014_140813.jpg
Also . Just a brief note here. I use an Anker Power Bank . It is 21,000 mah capacity and i can get about 10 to 11 hrs out of it . Very solid and durable .
Uses what is called 'IQ' technology which regulates and distributes the amount of power (voltage) needed to power your device . The Qutest surprisingly doesn't require orgre power to run...unlike my Cypher labs Algorythm Trio portable tube amp . just eats this power bank .
Also . it is 5v input and 5v ouput.:)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,148 of 6,775
The Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 is $90 on Amazon. The newer version with higher capacity—Pilot Pro 3–is $40 although it only has 5v outputs and it appears traveling international requires a special permission letter from the airline.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #2,149 of 6,775
Thank you for these suggestions. Would you say that the bluesound or sms200 was a noticeable step up sonically from simply using a Mac through usb to the Qutest?

I haven't used a Mac/PC as a source, but based on reviews and what I hear I would expect the Node 2 with glass toslink to be a noticeable step ahead of computer streaming. SMS200 in my system was clearly a step up sonically from node 2. The SOTM and Qutest have a sound which can put a big grin on your face..

Hans Beekhuyzen just reviewed the Pro-ject stream box S2 ultra on his YouTube channel, looks worth checking out as an option.

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #2,150 of 6,775
So my question is since the Qutest has a galvanic input for USB, doesn’t that help minimize the difference between, let’s say, a MacBook and a dedicated transport like the Node 2/SMS200/Aries mini? I suppose it’s a different story when one uses a multi-thousand dollar transport such as an AURALiC or Lumin.

I’m using a six year old MacBook Air that was maxed out option wise when I bought it. My music software is Audirvana+. I was thinking about getting the new Mac mini that is rumored to be released this month or next, or maybe a sub $1,000 transport which there aren’t many of from what I can see. I’d love a Lumin transport, but I can’t justify the significant increase in cost.

I have about 600GB of music files including DSD files, so the idea of something simple like the Mac mini with a terabyte drive really appeals to my sensitivities, but I keep reading that using a computer, even an expensive one, is subpar because of the noisy environment contained within.

Hence, my question about the galvanic input on the Qutest.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #2,152 of 6,775
Qutest was in my "DAC to buy" wish list ...but then i didn't buy qutest for it's powerwall,...definitively not indicated for an audio protection from AC source noise.
now it seems some user note this problem
but a battery-pack it is not the final solution, for it's built restriction and internal volt conversion...see what there is inside a battery-pack...note also battery is not noise immune, it is a common mistake think it.

I advised about this problem before qutest was released....

my choise was for a matrix x-sabre pro for it's superb build, linear power supply with Noratel transformer and Nichicon caps, not so heavy, slim, all in one, also indicated for a desktop use ....very good value for money, bought it for 1280 euro (retail price 1650 euro)=.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,154 of 6,775
Qutest was in my "DAC to buy" wish list ...but then i didn't buy qutest for it's powerwall,...definitively not indicated for an audio protection from AC source noise.
now it seems some user note this problem
but a battery-pack it is not the final solution, for it's built restriction and internal volt conversion...see what there is inside a battery-pack...note also battery is not noise immune, it is a common mistake think it.

I advised about this problem before qutest was released....

my choise was for a matrix x-sabre pro for it's superb build, linear power supply with Noratel transformer and Nichicon caps, not so heavy, slim, all in one, also indicated for a desktop use ....very good value for money, bought it for 1280 euro (retail price 1650 euro)=.

This is a pretty extreme post . I use the Qutest run through my Furman Linear AC Powerline conditioner with the stock PSU and it is dead silient. The only hiss or micrphonic noises I hear are due to my recordings themselves.
The Qutest is excellently built in every capacity.

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2,155 of 6,775

Yeah boy! The most expensive part of the Qutest is the aluminium black coasted casing but it works well on my system.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #2,156 of 6,775
This is a pretty extreme post . I use the Qutest run through my Furman Linear AC Powerline conditioner with the stock PSU and it is dead silient. The only hiss or micrphonic noises I hear are due to my recordings themselves.

When people are discussing ‘noise’ from power sources or power supplies or indeed generally with digital domain audio devices we are normally referring to RF noise. This does not produce hiss or microphonic noise etc, instead it tends to introduce a harshness or false sense of detail into the music.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #2,157 of 6,775
So,Rob,to clarify;does the power bank you are refering sound better than the stock psu?Or are you mentioning it for portability issues?

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #2,158 of 6,775

Sorry, you are using with powerline conditioner?!?!?
try it without your contiditioner....and then you can told us how it works..if you do not listen difference without , you're very lucky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back