Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,846 of 6,743
I compared optical (QED Reference) to coaxial (Belkin Professional) with both 2Qute and Qutest.
Coaxial always sounds more deep, reach in tone and natural. Optical sounds clinical and artificial in comparison.

Two different brands, some optical cables can sound more clinical compared to others.

Try Kabeldirekt optical cables they sound very smooth with every dac I’ve tried.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,847 of 6,743
That seem to suggest that if we are interested in maximum depth of perception and layering, for PCM up to 192/24, there is no advantage whatsoever in using Coax instead of Optical.

If that is the case, I should go back to Optical and see. Would be good to know.

It occurred to me that the last time I tried to compare, I had done something fundamentally wrong. So last night I spent some time from a clean sheet, comparing coax vs optical performance in my system. Instruments do sound more palpable with optical. The soundstage is also different - I have to spend a few more days to gauge details.

The mistake I had done earlier was to leave the coax connected at both ends while listening to optical cable. This time I made sure to disconnect and move it out of the way.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,848 of 6,743
Two different brands, some optical cables can sound more clinical compared to others.

Try Kabeldirekt optical cables they sound very smooth with every dac I’ve tried.

SKW, Audioquest, Wireworld and Van den Hul optical cables all sound very smooth and analog.

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,849 of 6,743
It occurred to me that the last time I tried to compare, I had done something fundamentally wrong. So last night I spent some time from a clean sheet, comparing coax vs optical performance in my system. Instruments do sound more palpable with optical. The soundstage is also different - I have to spend a few more days to gauge details.

The mistake I had done earlier was to leave the coax connected at both ends while listening to optical cable. This time I made sure to disconnect and move it out of the way.
I may have the time to make a similar test tomorrow.

There is crosstalk between different inputs on Qutest-you better do!

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,850 of 6,743
@Zzt231gr would be good to know your findings.

The reason I think it is important to remove the coax completely when evaluating optical is because coax is not galvanically isolated as Rob has pointed out so that leaves a channel open for common mode noise to get in. Presumably, the input selector will only switch the centre conductor of coax but the outer screen remains always connected.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #1,851 of 6,743
@Zzt231gr would be good to know your findings.

The reason I think it is important to remove the coax completely when evaluating optical is because coax is not galvanically isolated as Rob has pointed out so that leaves a channel open for common mode noise to get in. Presumably, the input selector will only switch the centre conductor of coax but the outer screen remains always connected.
If that is the case,you are totally correct.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,852 of 6,743
Question for Rob Watts...and my first post :)

I own the Qutest and love it.

Are the dual BNC coax inputs on the Qutest galvanically isolated? I ask because I read on another forum that the dual BNC coax outputs on the new M Scaler are galvanically isolated.

I've been using the optical output from my Rega Apollo CDP transport into the optical input on my Qutest.

But I'm wondering if Rob says the BNC inputs on the Qutest are also galvanically isolated if that's perhaps a better connection from the Rega to achieve the best SQ?

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,854 of 6,743
Considering getting this as a DAC for my speaker system. Has anyone had any issues with the USB charging or data ports? I ask as the mojo's ports are known to have issues.

Am I correct to believe the warranty is 3 years for parts and labour? Would repairs be possible after warranty (at a fee)?

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,855 of 6,743
Considering getting this as a DAC for my speaker system. Has anyone had any issues with the USB charging or data ports? I ask as the mojo's ports are known to have issues.

Am I correct to believe the warranty is 3 years for parts and labour? Would repairs be possible after warranty (at a fee)?
I think it is an exaggeration to say that the Mojo has issues with its USB sockets. There have been maybe 5 reports of issues on head-fi, from 50,000+ units sold.
The cases where sockets have broken off the circuit board, have usually occurred because the mojo was put in a rucksack (or similar) with a plug or adapter left in the socket. As the mojo moved about in the bag, the plug/adapter put enough leverage on the socket, to break it from the board.
The sockets are soldered at each of the four legs (one at each corner of the socket) plus there is also a soldered flat surface on the face of the socket that touches the circuit board.
Overall it does take some force to lever the socket away, far more force than is encountered during normal use.

I presume that you would be using the Qutest in a static position, on a table or hifi rack. If so the risk of damage to the usb sockets will be very low. Chord do advise for all their dacs, to not use adapters plugged into the usb sockets, to reduce the risk even further.

From memory, I think Chord repaired all those mojo circuit boards free of charge.

I cannot speak for Chord, but there are plenty of reports of them going the extra mile, if there are problems with their other dacs.
Most issues that occur outside of warrenty, seem to be related to battery replacement, and that can be arranged for a fee.
However the battery will not be an issue for you with the qutest.

Hope this helps.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,856 of 6,743
I think it is an exaggeration to say that the Mojo has issues with its USB sockets. There have been maybe 5 reports of issues on head-fi, from 50,000+ units sold.
The cases where sockets have broken off the circuit board, have usually occurred because the mojo was put in a rucksack (or similar) with a plug or adapter left in the socket. As the mojo moved about in the bag, the plug/adapter put enough leverage on the socket, to break it from the board.
The sockets are soldered at each of the four legs (one at each corner of the socket) plus there is also a soldered flat surface on the face of the socket that touches the circuit board.
Overall it does take some force to lever the socket away, far more force than is encountered during normal use.

I presume that you would be using the Qutest in a static position, on a table or hifi rack. If so the risk of damage to the usb sockets will be very low. Chord do advise for all their dacs, to not use adapters plugged into the usb sockets, to reduce the risk even further.

From memory, I think Chord repaired all those mojo circuit boards free of charge.

I cannot speak for Chord, but there are plenty of reports of them going the extra mile, if there are problems with their other dacs.
Most issues that occur outside of warrenty, seem to be related to battery replacement, and that can be arranged for a fee.
However the battery will not be an issue for you with the qutest.

Hope this helps.

My mojo has not had a problem with the USB ports, but I have been careful after reading of other people having issues.

Yes I would intend to keep it stationary. Probably even keep the cables inside and deal with them on the input/output devices. How long do you think I can expect the dac to last me? Hoping to get a good couple years out of it.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,857 of 6,743
My mojo has not had a problem with the USB ports, but I have been careful after reading of other people having issues.

Yes I would intend to keep it stationary. Probably even keep the cables inside and deal with them on the input/output devices. How long do you think I can expect the dac to last me? Hoping to get a good couple years out of it.
Most issues with chord gear seem to be either battery related, or app/software related (thinking primarily of the Poly), and neither of those issues should arise with qutest.
Some recent posters are still using chord dacs from the last decade, so physically I expect that the qutest would still work ok in a decades time.
More important for you, is how long you can resist the audiophile itch to upgrade to the next generation of qutest - maybe 3 years at a guess.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,858 of 6,743

At least a couple of years! I've still got a Deltec Bigger Bit (an earlier RW design that I bought in 1991) still going strong connected to my TV. Probably coming up to its 30th birthday!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,859 of 6,743
Most issues with chord gear seem to be either battery related, or app/software related (thinking primarily of the Poly), and neither of those issues should arise with qutest.
Some recent posters are still using chord dacs from the last decade, so physically I expect that the qutest would still work ok in a decades time.
More important for you, is how long you can resist the audiophile itch to upgrade to the next generation of qutest - maybe 3 years at a guess.

Who knows what's going to be around by then! At least the qutest would give me time to upgrade other parts of my chain before I have to consider the dac again. Was great listening to the Dave+m scaler at CanJam London 2018 but won't ever be able to stretch to it financially so pretty much my endgame level (for now). Still it's nice to know that if the product can still function after years I could recover some of the costs by selling it to fund the next obsession.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,860 of 6,743
Who knows what's going to be around by then! At least the qutest would give me time to upgrade other parts of my chain before I have to consider the dac again. Was great listening to the Dave+m scaler at CanJam London 2018 but won't ever be able to stretch to it financially so pretty much my endgame level (for now). Still it's nice to know that if the product can still function after years I could recover some of the costs by selling it to fund the next obsession.
Yes I wish that I had been able to attend canjam, to hear the TT2 and MScaler.
Chord seems to be following a strategy of updating each of the dacs after 3 years, so presumably you will be safe for about 3 years before making a decision about upgrading.
:slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back