Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 24, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,801 of 6,743
Question regarding MScaler and its potential benefit to the Qutest.

Wondering whether this actually has a positive effect. Maybe its too early to know or maybe I'm just ignorant of any studies out there. So...software such as HQPlayer can upscale the digital signal (Khz) of music files. However, reading on some threads it sounds like this does not necessarily have a positive effect on the sound. Does the M Scaler operate similarly or is it something different that provides a further improvement beyond software such as HQPlayer?

Additionally, if a redbook CD was recorded in analog and transferred to CD at 16 44.1 Khz, how is an upscaler going to create further clarity when we can't change the quality of the source? I'm not trying to cast doubt on the product, I just don't understand how it may improve the sounds of my qutest. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,803 of 6,743
I look forward to reviews of the MScaler connected to TT2 in the coming days - all good stuff.

The first person to review MScaler connected to Qutest wins a medal :)

I wonder how many Qutest owners are going to spend 5K for the M Scaler. TT owners, I’m sure will be abundant, but not so much for those who spent under 2K for a DAC. Totally different market. We’ll see ...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,804 of 6,743
Jul 25, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,805 of 6,743
I wonder how many Qutest owners are going to spend 5K for the M Scaler. TT owners, I’m sure will be abundant, but not so much for those who spent under 2K for a DAC. Totally different market. We’ll see ...

I agree it is a different market.

And I intend to wait till a cheaper MScaler becomes available but meantime, would be good to know in what ways my Qutest's performance can improve - hopes and dreams really, nothing more. It makes waiting a little less painful.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,806 of 6,743

Actually I would have. I had planned on the WA33 but I have reconsidered. I need a headphone amp but because I need a remote and the TT 2 is coming out I am going to sell/trade Qutest for TT 2. The only thing that could change this is I happen to find a tube/valve headphone amp with a remote.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,807 of 6,743
Actually I would have. I had planned on the WA33 but I have reconsidered. I need a headphone amp but because I need a remote and the TT 2 is coming out I am going to sell/trade Qutest for TT 2. The only thing that could change this is I happen to find a tube/valve headphone amp with a remote.
Check out the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP. It is an integrated amplifier that has headphones output running through the same circuits as the speaker outputs. It has Ultra-Linear and Triode mode outputs that can be change on the fly and it has a remote control.
I upgraded the 12AU7 to NOS Mullard and the EL34 to NOS Simmens. It really sounds very good and is powerful.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,808 of 6,743
Question regarding MScaler and its potential benefit to the Qutest.

Wondering whether this actually has a positive effect. Maybe its too early to know or maybe I'm just ignorant of any studies out there. So...software such as HQPlayer can upscale the digital signal (Khz) of music files. However, reading on some threads it sounds like this does not necessarily have a positive effect on the sound. Does the M Scaler operate similarly or is it something different that provides a further improvement beyond software such as HQPlayer?

Additionally, if a redbook CD was recorded in analog and transferred to CD at 16 44.1 Khz, how is an upscaler going to create further clarity when we can't change the quality of the source? I'm not trying to cast doubt on the product, I just don't understand how it may improve the sounds of my qutest. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

HQPlayer is brilliant, it just takes processing power for DSD. PCM shouldn't be an issue, my Macbook's CPU runs at 10%.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,809 of 6,743
Guys, what RCA cables are you using for Qutest connection to the amp? I tried here Chord C-Line 0.5m:

Qutest_Chord_C_Line.jpg

Then I tried a QED Performance 40 1m:

Qutest_QED_Performance_40.jpg

The Chord C Line is somehow warmer and has a bigger soundstage but the QED Performance 40 is more analytical and somehow colder, maybe a little bit more detailed in the detriment of musicality. The C Line is new and I will let it run for a few hours before making a final assessment, but I would like to know what other cables are you using, and of course, if you have an opinion about these two. Thanks!
I am using Tara labs Prism cables, bought like 20-22 years ago. They are directional. Still sound as good as new. Really brilliant cables.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,810 of 6,743
Check out the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP. It is an integrated amplifier that has headphones output running through the same circuits as the speaker outputs. It has Ultra-Linear and Triode mode outputs that can be change on the fly and it has a remote control.
I upgraded the 12AU7 to NOS Mullard and the EL34 to NOS Simmens. It really sounds very good and is powerful.

Oh, thank you so much! I am reading up on it now! Is there a thread for it on Head-Fi?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,811 of 6,743
Having spent an hour or so listening this afternoon ,I have just walked past my system, and noticed my Qutest with all lights flashing.
Disconnecting the power supply and re-connecting has reset it, but i cannot find any reference to why it has happened- any ideas or info gratefully received.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,812 of 6,743
Having spent an hour or so listening this afternoon ,I have just walked past my system, and noticed my Qutest with all lights flashing.
Disconnecting the power supply and re-connecting has reset it, but i cannot find any reference to why it has happened- any ideas or info gratefully received.
In London we had some thunder storms early evening. If you’ve had the same, maybe a brief interuption to the electricity supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back