Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #1,772 of 6,736
Hi everybody,

questions:

1) how is the qutest paired with an Android TV (optical) and to an iPhone 8?

2) will the qutest have a warmer presentation as the mojo? I look for a warm sound signature.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,773 of 6,736
Has anybody tried the Qutest with an Android phone as a source?

Yes only temporarily though. I was trying to figure out how to get DSD to play out of my Synology NAS when it wasn't. It played out of my Galaxy S6. Used USB audio Player PRO.

What did you want to know?

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,774 of 6,736
Yes only temporarily though. I was trying to figure out how to get DSD to play out of my Synology NAS when it wasn't. It played out of my Galaxy S6. Used USB audio Player PRO.

What did you want to know?

I am currently streaming Qobuz and downloaded audio using USB Audio Player PRO from my Samsung Galaxy S9 to a Modi 2 Multibit and then into my Oppo HA-1. I find this gives me stable, glitch free audio. However, if I connect my S9 directly to the HA-1 I get glitches and dropouts, so there must be some USB implementation differences or driver differences between the two DACs.

So basically I am a bit nervous about grabbing the Qutest in case its USB implementation will also be flaky.

Jul 21, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,775 of 6,736
I am currently streaming Qobuz and downloaded audio using USB Audio Player PRO from my Samsung Galaxy S9 to a Modi 2 Multibit and then into my Oppo HA-1. I find this gives me stable, glitch free audio. However, if I connect my S9 directly to the HA-1 I get glitches and dropouts, so there must be some USB implementation differences or driver differences between the two DACs.

So basically I am a bit nervous about grabbing the Qutest in case its USB implementation will also be flaky.

What setting do you have it on "bit perfect?" Don't put it on When ever possible. I have set to on. Make sure "upsample is off!" Make sure force 16-bit is off. Also are files on the phone or a NAS? I get glitching when I play from network drive sometimes.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,776 of 6,736
What setting do you have it on "bit perfect?" Don't put it on When ever possible. I have set to on. Make sure "upsample is off!" Make sure force 16-bit is off. Also are files on the phone or a NAS? I get glitching when I play from network drive sometimes.

Yeah I have bit perfect on and upsampling off. As I said it works great with the Modi 2 Multibit.

My next DAC upgrade will probably be to the Qutest so it would be good to hear other peoples experiences with it using an Android phone as a source.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,779 of 6,736
Some people feel you can actually do more upgrades via PC vs if you get a server, future upgrades are limited. I'm looking into a Room NUC setup.

I'm not sure what that means? PC and a Server are essentially the same thing. I'm running a Synology DS416play. Break it open its a PC...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,780 of 6,736
Some people feel you can actually do more upgrades via PC vs if you get a server, future upgrades are limited. I'm looking into a Room NUC setup.

I'm not sure what that means? PC and a Server are essentially the same thing. I'm running a Synology DS416play. Break it open its a PC...

Roon will run on Qunap and Synology, best on an SSD for speed.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,781 of 6,736
Roon will run on Qunap and Synology, best on an SSD for speed.

I'm going to answer without looking it up but I thought nowadays access speed is faster than USB or LAN even with a HDD, for just straight file transfer, could be wrong.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #1,782 of 6,736

I'm talking about getting something like an Auralic mini, Roon Nucleus, etc aftermarket all in one server vs just do as much as you can to your desktop to clean up the audio. I just put in the PPA PCIE usb card and powering the card using ifi iPower instead of motherboard powersupply. This actually is making a clear audible improvement.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,783 of 6,736
Hugo TT form factor M Scaler has been announced by Chord Electronics. First and foremost, congratulations to Rob and Chord electronics for pushing the boundaries.

And looking forward to the budget version for Qutest. The future sounds very promising for digital audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back