Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,788 of 6,743
Qutest is a stripped back, cheaper version of Hugo² so you never know!

One can always look forward to a lower end model, but I'm not too optimistic. Blu2 and Hugo M Scaler sounds about right for the range, otherwise it'll just end up cannibalizing sales

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,789 of 6,743
I think you will be disappointed. Chord released the Hugo family MScaler, which includes qutest, so I doubt that they will release a separate one just for qutest.

Well firstly. I don't expect a budget scaler immediately but if you think about it, there is the BluMK2 and Dave - both the same form factor and roughly same price bracket. Then Hugo TT2 DAC and now Hugo MScaler both in the 3 - 4k GBP price bracket and both the same form factor as well. Therefore it is not entirely unfair to expect a Scaler for Qutest in a similar form factor and price bracket but I can imagine there will be challenges both technical and commercial to make it happen. I am sure they will have thought long and hard about Qutest cannibalising sales of Hugo TT2.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #1,793 of 6,743
There is a large gap in the price of Qutest compared to TT2. As someone who "only" spent £1,200 on Qutest, I can't envisage spending £3,495 on HMS. I hope that the technology will eventually trickle down to the Qutest level and I know Chord will be listening to these pleas and make it sooner rather than later.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,794 of 6,743
I think you will be disappointed. Chord released the Hugo family MScaler, which includes qutest, so I doubt that they will release a separate one just for qutest.

I’d agree with you here, but the differing form factors suggest that maybe a version in the same chassis size (if that’s possible) will be released at some point. I suppose there could be other economies as well to allow for a more affordable price.

This is a question for @Rob Watts ...

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #1,795 of 6,743
One other thing, can someone confirm that the last two filter options are both red like mine? I don’t understand why Chord would use the same color for two different filters.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,796 of 6,743
I think otherwise.Think of the video inputs which are worthless for an audiophile.

I don’t want any of my audio gear to have “Video” labeling on it. Sacrilege!

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,797 of 6,743
One other thing, can someone confirm that the last two filter options are both red like mine? I don’t understand why Chord would use the same color for two different filters.

White, Green, Orange and Red

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,798 of 6,743
White, Green, Orange and Red

Thank you. Because my Qutest has sunlight shining on it, the orange and red looked the same to my aging eyes. Problem solved!

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,799 of 6,743
Thank you. Because my Qutest has sunlight shining on it, the orange and red looked the same to my aging eyes. Problem solved!

No prob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back