Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 27, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #1,501 of 6,743
it not the first time Rob Watt spoken about PSU, and you may be don't know the story....

please google it before speak about .....is old story about Qute, QuteHD, 2Qute, and now Qutest

and always said the same: the best PSU possible.

to be punctually contradicted by the facts.

unfortunately it is a commercial choice.

May 27, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #1,502 of 6,743
it not the first time Rob Watt spoken about PSU, and you may be don't know the story....
please google it before speak about .....is old story about Qute, QuteHD, 2Qute, and now Qutest
and always said the same: the best PSU possible.
to be punctually contradicted by the facts.
unfortunately it is a commercial choice.

People will have to make their own minds up about the possible sound improvement (or worsening) by using aftermarket power supplies but anyone attempting to take anything from reports posted on here or elsewhere needs to realise that many people are not experienced to know when what they hear and like is actually a technically inferior sound but with false detail or space etc added by RF / EMI due to the aftermarket power supply.

Also, it should be realised that Rob Watts is a completely separate consultant who has consistently put forward his own judgment and assessments irrespective of commercial considerations. Chord may or may not be making commercial decisions as you suggest but personally I trust Rob Watts to tell it like it is and how he sees it in an unbiased way.

Lastly, you talk about facts but what you really mean is personal opinions. Please accept that there is an amount of YMMV in all this.

May 27, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,503 of 6,743
assuming that you already own a good amplification system and speakers ....note... better is system, and more you can hear difference.....no cable has so tangible improvement

there are two things only, that would bring about improvement of system

1) clean power source

2) good digital source

.... so I would not rule out having to talk about power source yet.

about the warranty ... it's the same manufacturer that recommends, as alternative choice, a powerbank for...., battery pack is not best choice, because the batteries inside have voltage of 3.7v, then by a switching DC / DC converting circuitry,
without any filter, it exit at 5V, but try it if you want. for this I would not worry about warranty...

I have not seen any online video review that used the Qutest with factory PSU.

therefore I am not the only one to think that it is not made for best performance, but it turn on the system anyway....

do not worry, you can always use it to turn on led lights of a small Christmas tree.

if you still do not believe it ...... take as reference the high end DAC of Chord or other firm, tell me you see something as Qutest PSU.

instead you can easily find DACs that use it under $ 400 / $ 500 range, over $ 700 nobody uses a few dollars PSU, but best power source for DAC price range.
A shill is someone who works for a company in underhanded way, promoting their products while pretending to have no connection. I usually see this accusation levelled against Head-Fi members by people jealous of the hard work that resulted in the site's continued success. I suggest if you think that the forums are "full of shills" as is often suggested that you log out and never return, even to read the site.

More usefully on topic: Rob suggested on the Hugo 2 thread that some power supplies would add more noise to the system on the power end which might be picked up by the amplifier. The other thing to consider is when someone says that a change makes the sound "better" is that they are not hearing a change for the better, but for the worse, such as distortion adding false detail.

DSD512 requires quite serious bandwidth, among other factors.

There is no future with DSD512. The storage and bandwidth required are just insane, even now, for zero benefit. In 10 years, I'm SURE they will still be insane.

wow that was out of nowhere lol.

May 27, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,504 of 6,743
Stop buying these aftermarket PSU's. It will void your warranty. If somehow the DAC goes bad for whatever reason, you will not be covered just becauae you used aftermarket PSU.

These guys are complete leechers trying to make a buck off anything. I would NOT support them at all. These guys are scandalous enough to start manufacturing these custom Chord PSU cables as their new bussiness project without Chords consent.
Now do you think the same minds will have the least bit of honesty to use quality parts and price it right? Absolutely not.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 28, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,505 of 6,743
These guys are complete leechers trying to make a buck off anything. I would NOT support them at all. These guys are scandalous enough to start manufacturing these custom Chord PSU cables as their new bussiness project without Chords consent.
Now do you think the same minds will have the least bit of honesty to use quality parts and price it right? Absolutely not.

you accuse me of what?

to have interests in the sale of WHAT?

Please reply me is you see something like Qutest PSU in a DAC priced over 700 $

May 28, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,507 of 6,743
Stop buying these aftermarket PSU's. It will void your warranty. If somehow the DAC goes bad for whatever reason, you will not be covered just becauae you used aftermarket PSU.

The manual specifies a 5V 1A power supply at minimum. It doesn't specify that the Chord provided PSU must be used. That is why it uses a micro USB port as the power supply. Nothing about aftermarket power supplies and warranty is mentioned anywhere by Chord.

May 28, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,509 of 6,743
Hey Everyone ~ I’m not even sure if I’m posting this properly or if I’m just replying a post about PSU???
I just bought the Qutest and I’ve been using it for about over a week and I just wanted to know how I can get the most out of the DAC. I’m quite new to the hifi or the audiophile world and my curiosity has been making me spend $$$... I just hope it doesn’t get any worse ... Anyways, I’m currently running a Bakoon 5210 MK3 preAmp? With the Qutest and using a DAP from AK, the SP1000. I’ve been converting wave files to DSD and 24 bit 192 kHz files from FLAC / dBpoweramp Music Converter etc . I first convert the source from YouTube to a MP3 converter online and I’m not even too sure if I’m actually converting it into DSD, FLAC OR 24/32 bit quality. The music quality sounds good to me but if there’s another way, a better way, I would very much appreciate your advice.
Well, back to the Qutest ... I’m currently running it by hooking up my SP1000 to an optical cable to the Qutest. I tried a usb-b / usb-c type cable but the quality seems better with an optical cable. [ maybe it’s becasue I was using a usb-c adapter to the usb input ] Not sure ~ Does the selectable option filter [ incisive neutral [grey] / HF roll-off [green] / warm [orange] / HF roll-off [red] ] only work when the DAP is hooked up to the usb-b type cable to the Qutest? I’m not hearing any differences in the music when using the filters. I’m also using an iMac and the PINE player app from the Mac. Is there a better way???

Your input on this matter will be very much appreciated ~

Kevin K from Seoul

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,512 of 6,743
buy DSD files (NativeDSD.com is a reputable source) or SACDs and play those
you can also rip SACDs but... that's a long story (how-to thread on CA)

no streaming service offers DSD quality

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back