Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 28, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,066 of 6,756
Hi from Sydney, Oz. Have just bought a Qutest and very impressed so far.

One thing I would have liked though is the ability to control the volume via USB and have it attenuated digitally within the DAC.
If it is already capable of a 3 level voltage output adjustment, would it have taken much more to implement?

My amp is a Musical fidelity m6si and volume is already handled in digital domain i believe. So thought the chord do just as good or a better job and be more convenient. It uses a Burr Brown PGA 23201 precision ladder chip rather than analog control I've read.

Instead I have tried DSP volume in Roon (ie HT bypass on the amp plus Roon DSP volume)which perhaps might not be as good(?). Needs more listening time to tell...

I'd be interested in your findings using the DSP Roon volume.

I'm thinking about eventually getting a Qutest and go directly in high efficient speakers but I'm unsure how to control the volume.

I've read of one other person who uses his 2qute controlling the volume with Jriver (into high efficient speakers).

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #1,069 of 6,756
I’ve had the Qutest for nearly three weeks and I am surprised by how much of an improvement it is over the Hugo.

For those of you using the USB interface, what cables are you using? I’m connecting an Auralic Aires to the Qutest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have two desktop set-ups (Qutest / BHSE / Stax 007 and Sony TA-ZH1ES / Noble Encore), they both sound better with the Uptone Regen. As I only have the one Regen, I'll order the newer Iso Regen shortly.

The Phasure Lush and Curious USBs are both keepers, the two USBs I want to audition are the Oyaide Continental and Phasure Clairixa.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,071 of 6,756
Mar 29, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,073 of 6,756
I have two desktop set-ups (Qutest / BHSE / Stax 007 and Sony TA-ZH1ES / Noble Encore)

Care to pass any judgement on a comparison between the Qutest and Sony TA? I currently own the Sony which was bought to use exclusively with my Z1R's. I use my Utopia's in my two channel system with a different source and amp.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,074 of 6,756
I'd be interested in your findings using the DSP Roon volume.

I'm thinking about eventually getting a Qutest and go directly in high efficient speakers but I'm unsure how to control the volume.

I've read of one other person who uses his 2qute controlling the volume with Jriver (into high efficient speakers).
That other person was me. Since the native input bit resolution of Qutest is 32-bits, then JRiver has 8-bits of padding (256 levels) for 24-bit music or 16-bits (65k levels) for CD music. Using the JRiver internal volume control, the processing is done at 64-bits then dithered down to 32-bits (set it to TPDF). Even Rob Watts says that this will come very close to his highly noise shaped volume control ...and much, much better than any analog volume in a preamp.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,075 of 6,756
Hello dac64.
I asked if he could say when a separate M-Scaler without cd drive might become available and he responded that "he would be slapped" if he said when,more specifically...
Cheers Christer

Thanks for the info, and it was so much as if I were there!

Well, I'll wait for all three, blu, Da and MS to be presented before I decide which is best for my application.

I'd even consider Red Ref IV (blu + dave) if available, it does away those RF issues between blu and dave.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,076 of 6,756
That other person was me. Since the native input bit resolution of Qutest is 32-bits, then JRiver has 8-bits of padding (256 levels) for 24-bit music or 16-bits (65k levels) for CD music. Using the JRiver internal volume control, the processing is done at 64-bits then dithered down to 32-bits (set it to TPDF). Even Rob Watts says that this will come very close to his highly noise shaped volume control ...and much, much better than any analog volume in a preamp.

In fact the other person I was thinking was @elviscaprice (who also posts on computeraudiophile.com) but nevertheless still appreciate your reply @dmance.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #1,077 of 6,756
Hello,
Sounds like, according to Rob, the Qutest has a bit more oomph over the 2Qute amp, for directly driving efficient speakers. Paired with a mini m-scaler on the horizon may tempt me to make the jump. Meanwhile, I am still enjoying the 2Qute.

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,079 of 6,756
I will be very interested to hear what the Qutest sounds like with the next m-scaler, certainly a large uplift in sonics. Having heard what the m-scaler did to DAVE , I am expecting something significant.

Can anyone recommend the best route for connecting a MacBook Pro using Audirvana to a Chord Qutest. I was going to use USB as I believe Chord DACs don't suffer from jitter via this route. But if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,080 of 6,756
I'm still waiting for my Qutest to arrive. While I wait, I am having second thoughts about a Chord DAC without Rob's wonderful transparent volume control. Even attenuation at line level. So Qutest would still have it's adjustable volt max level ...but be able to digital adjust downward.
I'm okay with jRiver quality digital volume for USB ...but then SPDIF does not have it...and that's becoming a show stopper.
...I don't want a Hugo2 and a Dave is too expensive. Grrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back