Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 24, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #1,036 of 6,740
Re: "throwing grenades" again

Christer, you better not leave any of your bags unattended at the Adelphi or anywhere else, especially if Rob is in the vicinity as you may very likely be carted off by security and we might never hear from you again! :ksc75smile:
"Not to worry Chicken Curry" I was neither stopped nor security searched,and Rob responded to a question I asked at his seminar yesterday.

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,038 of 6,740
There seems to be a consensus that Qutest as a DAC is better than Hugo 2 but we could use some more impressions to get a better picture.

Consensus? Who in said consensus has both Qutest and Hugo 2 long enough to make such an assertion? The Qutest has been out how long?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 25, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #1,039 of 6,740
Anyone have any impressions comparing the Schiit Gumby and the Chord Qutest? I got the chance to hear a DAVE in my setup alongside my gumby and it wiped the floor with it. The DAVE was more musical, clearer, and more engaging. So how would the Qutest compare?

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #1,040 of 6,740
Anyone have any impressions comparing the Schiit Gumby and the Chord Qutest? I got the chance to hear a DAVE in my setup alongside my gumby and it wiped the floor with it. The DAVE was more musical, clearer, and more engaging. So how would the Qutest compare?

DAVE was introduced in 2015, correct? Has there been any tech changes in the last 3 years that could have been incorporated into the Hugo2/Qutest that would make it sound as good as the DAVE? Also, would Chord purposely hobble their products so they cannot sound as good? I'm curious about this myself as a DAVE is more than I am willing to spend right now.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #1,046 of 6,740
What did you ask,and were you satisfied with the answer?

And, any thing news to share with us? TIA

Hello dac64.
I asked if he could say when a separate M-Scaler without cd drive might become available and he responded that "he would be slapped" if he said when,more specifically.
But it is definitely coming. And in the more distant future he was even hoping to be able bring out a HUGO 3 or 4 with an M scaler already onboard".
But such future things are still awaiting FPGA developments and capabilites not yet available.
During one of his seminars he also mentioned that M-Scaler technology for full 24 bit reconstruction would need somewhere in the region of 256 million taps if my memory serves me right.
Something he did not expect to happen in his lifetime.
Nor did he think it would be needed.
We also had a more informal, friendly private chat.
We shook hands afterwards and parted in peace.
He on his way to a four day hike to Macchu Picchu, and myself with the difficult decision to make between Alban Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra and Brahms' Violin Concerto live here in Singapore on the 30th, or Beethoven and Mozart in Kuala Lumpur that same evening.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,047 of 6,740
Hello dac64.
I asked if he could say when a separate M-Scaler without cd drive might become available and he responded that "he would be slapped" if he said when,more specifically.
But it is definitely coming. And in the more distant future he was even hoping to be able bring out a HUGO 3 or 4 with an M scaler already onboard".
But such future things are still awaiting FPGA developments and capabilites not yet available.
During one of his seminars he also mentioned that M-Scaler technology for full 24 bit reconstruction would need somewhere in the region of 256 million taps if my memory serves me right.
Something he did not expect to happen in his lifetime.
Nor did he think it would be needed.

Yes, Rob did say that. I was there at the session.

256 millions for 24 bits is correct.

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #1,050 of 6,740
The Qutest finally arrived this morning and you guys are right, it ain't going anywhere :L3000:

The one thing that was surprising is the huge performance jump by using isolation feet.

If you think isolation feet resulted in a huge improvement, wait until you try this - http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm - the improvements will blow your mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back