Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #796 of 6,775
Rob (if you are there):

Do you have any comments on the sound quality of the Qutest versus the Hugo 2 please? (I'm assuming the two devices have the same circuit board - is this correct?)

I'm on the fence between getting a Qutest or a Hugo 2. I do have a separate headphone amp, but might use the Hugo 2 for (limited) portable listening. However, my prime consideration is audio quality. So, which should sound better: Hugo 2 or Qutest - or should they sound the same?

Many thanks!

They are not identical circuit boards, but share common circuitry and identical audio code on the FPGA - although the output stage is much more advanced with Hugo 2 as it has the more difficult task of driving headphones directly.

In my opinion if it's a case of driving headphones then Hugo 2 easily out performs Qutest with a seperate headphone amp both sonically and for sure measurement wise. But some like the sound of their amps and will of course disagree with me; and that's OK.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #797 of 6,775
The Qutest with a good amp sound better than the Hugo 2. I tried both. There are other people here who experienced the same

I'm getting the same vibes: Qutest seems to be getting excellent reviews, whereas the Hugo 2 had fairly mixed reviews. I don't know whether this is simply because the Qutest is cheaper and therefore the expectations were lower - and of course there was a big price jump between the Hugo 1 and Hugo 2 - or whether there really is a significant difference.

It's important to be objective here. I'm not interested in the galvanic isolation of the Qutest - I shall be using the coaxial input predominantly - in which case, surely, the two devices should sound the same? If anything, I might expect the Hugo 2 to sound better because of its battery power? Any theories as to why Qutest would sound better?!

So, let me rephrase my original request to Rob:

Rob: as far as the coaxial inputs are concerned, would we expect any sound differences between Qutest and Hugo 2? If so, which is better from a purely audio standpoint please?

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #798 of 6,775
They are not identical circuit boards, but share common circuitry and identical audio code on the FPGA - although the output stage is much more advanced with Hugo 2 as it has the more difficult task of driving headphones directly.

In my opinion if it's a case of driving headphones then Hugo 2 easily out performs Qutest with a seperate headphone amp both sonically and for sure measurement wise. But some like the sound of their amps and will of course disagree with me; and that's OK.

Thanks Rob - sorry, your reply crossed with my message - apologies.

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #800 of 6,775
20180301_184313.jpg

Have had the Qutest for more than a week now and the LTA MZ2 just came in today for me to throw in some comments.

Am using the SOTM SMS-200 out to Qutest. MZ2 as preamp to drive the First Watt F7. The LPS-1 is powering the SMS-200 and ISO Regen.

Hearing a very coherent and smooth presentation. No frequency jumps at me in particular. Very transparent with great clarity and timing. This is quite a gem of a DAC. Tiny but packs a real punch.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #801 of 6,775
I'm getting the same vibes: Qutest seems to be getting excellent reviews, whereas the Hugo 2 had fairly mixed reviews. I don't know whether this is simply because the Qutest is cheaper and therefore the expectations were lower - and of course there was a big price jump between the Hugo 1 and Hugo 2 - or whether there really is a significant difference.

It's important to be objective here. I'm not interested in the galvanic isolation of the Qutest - I shall be using the coaxial input predominantly - in which case, surely, the two devices should sound the same? If anything, I might expect the Hugo 2 to sound better because of its battery power? Any theories as to why Qutest would sound better?!

So, let me rephrase my original request to Rob:

Rob: as far as the coaxial inputs are concerned, would we expect any sound differences between Qutest and Hugo 2? If so, which is better from a purely audio standpoint please?
Thanks Rob - sorry, your reply crossed with my message - apologies.
Between the Qute2 and Hugo there is also difference in sound. Many have the experience that the Qute2 sounds better than Hugo and that now seems to be the case again.The Qutest as DAC just sounds better than the Hugo2 used as DAC.My ears don’t lie and even my supplier has the same opinion .So if you don’t need a portable amp buy the Qutest it just sounds amazing.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #803 of 6,775
Good to finally get some strong opinions by those who have the neck to do so and therefore deserve some thumbs up from us?! :point_down::point_left::point_right::point_up::point_up_2:...........................:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:..............:ghost:

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #808 of 6,775
Is this DAC something you would use with a headphone amplifier like "Violectric HPA V281". Or should i look for another DAC for the amp?

**Noob question? First post here :wink:**

Very good question for a Noob but only one for a Noob with deeper pockets! :ksc75smile:

P.S. Hope it is warmer in Sweden that it is in these parts!!!

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #810 of 6,775

I think initial question was in comparison of Qutest and Hugo2 used as DACs. I understand that integrated solution like Hugo could have it`s benefits (shorter signal path, good volume regulation implementation and so on) against separate amp+DAC system. But if we take Hugo2 and Qutest and use them as DACs for an external amp, would those two sound exactly the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back