Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #663 of 6,750
My experience with the iFi iPower is not "really good". Whilst it may supply clean power to whatever it's powering via USB, it kicks back so much noise back into the mains it's not really usable for hifi/speaker applications (would be fine if you're listening to something like a Mojo/Hugo via headphones as there's no amplifier for the iPower to contaminate). My setup was Mojo + iPower + Naim Nait 5si.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #664 of 6,750
My experience with the iFi iPower is not "really good". Whilst it may supply clean power to whatever it's powering via USB, it kicks back so much noise back into the mains it's not really usable for hifi/speaker applications (would be fine if you're listening to something like a Mojo/Hugo via headphones as there's no amplifier for the iPower to contaminate). My setup was Mojo + iPower + Naim Nait 5si.

Thank you for sharing your experience with IFI iPower + Chord
it is much apreciate.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #665 of 6,750
Have not noticed that at all with my speaker system and neither have any of my friends with theirs. Then again we all use power conditioners as well.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #666 of 6,750
This is my experience also, I have two different 9V and one 5V, and they all create too much noise to be usable unless you only power a Mojo or similar.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #667 of 6,750
Hey!

Any of you guys checked this video which claims similar sound to Dave from Qutest? Thats a bold claim! But I still dont understand how can someone hear the difference from the 2 devices listening from youtube with a normal DAC?

I will put my hand on the Qutest next week. Cant wait to let you all know my first audio impressions.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #668 of 6,750
Hey!

Any of you guys checked this video which claims similar sound to Dave from Qutest? Thats a bold claim! But I still dont understand how can someone hear the difference from the 2 devices listening from youtube with a normal DAC?

I will put my hand on the Qutest next week. Cant wait to let you all know my first audio impressions.
The reviewer himself was not listening from youtube and obviously being familiar with the gear he used he heard similarities between Dave and Qutest. Would that not make sense since they are both from Chord and share similar design philosophy? :wink:

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #669 of 6,750
I didnt made myself clear.

I wondered from the point of the viewer (listener), not the reviewer.

I dont contest the reviewer who made the experiment, but I wonder how can I listen to the experiment via youtube when all the sound I get is through my cheap laptop speakers with no DAC? Im not there! And all the sound i get is indirect. In order for me to hear the difference I must be there and to listen directly. Otherwise, to me it makes no sense to buy a DAC, when all I have to do is play a youtube file uploaded by someone who uses the most expensive DAC.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #670 of 6,750

I dont contest the reviewer who made the experiment, but I wonder how can I listen to the experiment via youtube when all the sound I get is through my cheap laptop speakers with no DAC? Im not there! And all the sound i get is indirect. In order for me to hear the difference I must be there and to listen directly. Otherwise, to me it makes no sense to buy a DAC, when all I have to do is play a youtube file uploaded by someone who uses the most expensive DAC.

Of course these videos are harmless fun and no more than that. The Qutest is as far as I know essentially a Hugo2 without the battery and without the volume so it would be likely that they would sound pretty similar. Hugo 2 launched amid a load of hype that it was a ‘Dave on the cheap’. That has all settled down now and I think it is fair to say it is now accepted as no such thing but it is significant and amazing performance in its own right. Qutest is still in the hype phase and no doubt that will also settle down.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #671 of 6,750

You are correct. Watching a youtube video with compressed sound and computer speakers will not tell you much. :wink:

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #672 of 6,750

what i noted in this video was the reviewer not used the PSU from chord...but a powerbank "not designed for audio but..."

why didn't he use the factory PSU?

as tell us: i used a powerbank not designed for audio, because for now i have not something better....but it is better than the factory PSU.

I would not want this to be the preview of the same old story
for now I do not say more ...... we'll see.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #673 of 6,750

ifi uses interesting technology but it pollutes or as they say noise cancels by dumping a different noise into the system to cancel out other noises.
probably top of the tree is paul hynes power supply and uptone audio ultracap but both units are expensive high end.

the provided wall wart for the cutest is the best sounding i have heard but as mr watts has stated that is not the adapter but the work that has been done inside the cutest.
regardless of how a switch power supply sounds via the dac i do not like them near my high fi system uptone audio use a switch supply tp power the ultracaps again not perfect.
chord have chosen to use microusb on a table unit i do not like the connections i prefer lemo or hirose i understand those are not standard i like the voltage but not the connection.
micro usb can get loose over time
at the moment i am using a heavy duty usb battery and the sound is the most complex i have ever heard via a dac quiet like being in a chasm 1000 foot underground very quiet but loud when you crank up the sound.at first i preferred the sound of the mojo my dealer suggested an evening of colour the cutest has filters via the colour toggle it is a waste of time clicking clicking toggling for tone changes at the press of a button not sure what the green filter light means but it is causing me great problems

with the neighbours..

should have spent 1 day on green but i am still on it. i have a highly regarded benchmark dac lovely well made unit the cutest out of the box on a cold winter day tramples all over it i understand they are very different units but in terms of sound you get lost in the sound of this chord .
the benchmark dac you get tired and want to go home with the cutest it is like being in a rainforest surrounded by sounds music you thought you knew but are only just discovering.
the benchmark dac is packed up and looking for a new home..

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #674 of 6,750
C'mon US dealers...

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #675 of 6,750
I wasn't going to suggest it since many may find the price of this power supply a bit excessive but Keces builds quality products. They are a major supplier of toroidal transformers and other stuff for many much higher cost products. I use their power conditioner for my headphone listening gear and it is great. They also have the power supplies. Worth a look. http://keces-audio-usa.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back