Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #691 of 6,740
Roger that. I guess a different way to approach the issue would be to ask "What would be end game single ended solid state amp recommendations to go with the Qutest?"

If you don't want to lose Chord's transparency as much as possible, I recommend the Headamp GSX MK2 since it's highly regarded as one of the most transparent headphone amp available on the market.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #692 of 6,740
Unless driving very long cables and need the common mode rejection of noise of balanced cables, don't always assume they sound better. They often don't, problem being the cheap quality op-amps in the signal path needed for balanced operation. Single Ended very often sounds much more relaxed and musical. Not to be confused with balanced drive in headphones. Balanced headphone jacks may well be more dynamic depending on the amp topology but... always try single ended as well and see which one is the more "musical" and "organic" sounding.
Something I've noticed is that balanced tend to sound punchier and sounds more forward, I think this maybe due to greater gain on the drivers. Sound stage is seems larger and has a more ambient feel. The instrumentals sounded livelier, but at the cost of vocals sounding punchier in sibilant due to the forward nature of the balanced. So, I could see what you mean by SE sounding more relaxed.

I think the main factor of this balanced sound is attributed to the amp topology than being dual-DAC output balanced or not. You just hook the SE output from the DAC to amp that output balanced.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #694 of 6,740
If you don't want to lose Chord's transparency as much as possible, I recommend the Headamp GSX MK2 since it's highly regarded as one of the most transparent headphone amp available on the market.
Great amp, but it would drive headphones balanced only with balanced source. With Qutest you would have only single-ended amplification from Headamp.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #695 of 6,740
Something I've noticed is that balanced tend to sound punchier and sounds more forward, I think this maybe due to greater gain on the drivers. Sound stage is seems larger and has a more ambient feel. The instrumentals sounded livelier, but at the cost of vocals sounding punchier in sibilant due to the forward nature of the balanced. So, I could see what you mean by SE sounding more relaxed.

I think the main factor of this balanced sound is attributed to the amp topology than being dual-DAC output balanced or not. You just hook the SE output from the DAC to amp that output balanced.
Yes!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #696 of 6,740
Yes, I've used the V281 with balanced and SE "inputs". Both sound equally great. Now, the Balanced headphone "output" does offer a bit more fidelity over the SE output but it depends on the partnering headphones. I'm loving the XMOS DAC module in the V281 as well. Using it right now to drive my speaker system waiting on another outboard DAC and it sounds pretty damn great for the $300 upcharge on the V281. That of course goes against the main interest of those interested in the Qutest! :wink: I am not suggesting the XMOS DAC module is in any way better than the Qutest, just saying it is pretty damn musical.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #697 of 6,740

what i noted in this video was the reviewer not used the PSU from chord...but a powerbank "not designed for audio but..."

What I saw in the video was Quest the DAC, nothing more nothing less.

Have to say this fetish trying to prove a point with power supply is seriously getting out of hand. There is nothing remaining for those of us common Joes to prove. Even if we do, what possible value is there in the outcome. If someone is interested and they have the funds, and the time, do experiment but bare in mind the findings are relevant only to that particular setup and that scenario. How difficult is that point to understand?

Quest is a game changing DAC at this pricepoint in my opinion (speaking as an owner) and these other low-value, insignificant, overhyped, exaggerated, irrelevant, distractions are taking the fun out of talking about this great DAC.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #700 of 6,740
How it sounds with less than perfect records? How about sibilance?
Interesting you ask. I can't speak of Qutest, but Mojo seems to reduce sibilant sounds, and this can effect how the amp intereacts to it or the tranducer outputs the sounds. I know DAVE does it in it's way, it thins out the sibilant sounds. Sibilant sounds can be thick or thin depending on the analog I think.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #701 of 6,740
What I saw in the video was Quest the DAC, nothing more nothing less.

Have to say this fetish trying to prove a point with power supply is seriously getting out of hand. There is nothing remaining for those of us common Joes to prove. Even if we do, what possible value is there in the outcome. If someone is interested and they have the funds, and the time, do experiment but bare in mind the findings are relevant only to that particular setup and that scenario. How difficult is that point to understand?

Quest is a game changing DAC at this pricepoint in my opinion (speaking as an owner) and these other low-value, insignificant, overhyped, exaggerated, irrelevant, distractions are taking the fun out of talking about this great DAC.

I agree, I am concerned that all the posts from this account has been on this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #702 of 6,740
What I saw in the video was Quest the DAC, nothing more nothing less....

you did not watch well. watch from 8.21 minute of the video when the reviewer exposes the components. he shows and says exactly what I have reported.
I was really astonished that he had not used the PSE inside the package. since there was certainly no lack of power supply.

if so far someone has thought that what I said .... was just a rumor....

I find inadequate its PSU for the price asked, and i am not the only one to think so.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #703 of 6,740
Interesting you ask. I can't speak of Qutest, but Mojo seems to reduce sibilant sounds, and this can effect how the amp intereacts to it or the tranducer outputs the sounds. I know DAVE does it in it's way, it thins out the sibilant sounds. Sibilant sounds can be thick or thin depending on the analog I think.
My Fostex TH-900 are very sensitive to this. These cans could be very sibilant with bright source. I tried different DACs with my TH-900 and V200 and got very different results. Meridian is most forgiving DAC I have heard so far. I`m trying to find something that would sound better without sacrificing the comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back